ForeFlight Troubles

Roy D Triggs

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Huntxtrm
I am having some trouble with ForeFlight. I was wondering if its a glitch? Can it be duplicated by others? Or, am I doing something wrong? Here is the scenario.

1. open FPL tab. I enter "52F" space, "KSPS" space. Set Altitude to 4500'. It creates a flight from AeroVally to Wichata Falls.
2. Looking at the profile tab, it encroaches Class B.
3. I add a waypoint along the route, just outside of the Class B.
4. Back on the Edit tab, I Click on 52F, change starting altitude to 2500'. Click on the waypoint that I created, change starting altitude to 4500.
5. Go back to profile, it creates a nice altitude profile avoiding the Class B.
6. Save as a favorite for later use. Clear fpl and close.
7. Open FPL, choose my saved FPL, Foreflight changed "52F" to coordinates? In Belarus? I have Foreflight looking at it. They seem to steer towards user error? Could be. I am human.

It only converts 52F to a coordinate, if I add a waypoint and save? If I leave it alone, encroaching Class B and save, all is good?

If you are setting the initial cruise altitude via tapping the fix 52F and using Set Altitude/Speed/Time to 2500 feet, that is not the right way to accomplish that. I would set the initial cruise altitude to 2500 feet and then at your fix clear of the B, set the altitude to 4500 feet. That works and you can recall it as a saved favorite route. The ICAO syntax for an speed/altitude change is only defined for a point within the route, not the departure or destination airport. If this is considered a bug, it is because the FPL editor should probably generate an error message and not allow you to do it that way, that is to add an altitude to either a departure or destination airport, since the syntax is undefined.

I am workin from a default cruise altitide of 4500. So, your saing, set that at 2500, then at my fix increase it to my cruise altitude for the remainder of the flight? I appogize for my ignorance on this. I am a newbe pilot(125 hrs), in fact I do my CR for ppl on 2/8. I really like foreflight and the added safety. I have a lot of learning ahead of me, the rest of my life actualy. Lol never stop learning.

Welcome to POA, Roy. I learn a ton here.

Don't use the Set Speed/Altitude capability for an airport. Whatever you set in the cruise altitude is what the system will climb to initially. Once at that altitude, you can use the Set Speed/Altitude capability to adjust your cruise altitude at other points in the route, but not at your destination airport. You want to remain at 2500 until you clear the class B, so set your initial cruise altitude to 2500, not 4500 or you will plan the route with the initial climb to 4500 feet. If you at some point later put in a fix at 2500 followed by another at 4500, the App would assume you were going to first climb to 4500 feet, then descend to 2500 feet, and finally climb back up to 4500 feet.

I am having some trouble with ForeFlight. I was wondering if its a glitch? Can it be duplicated by others? Or, am I doing something wrong? Here is the scenario.

1. open FPL tab. I enter "52F" space, "KSPS" space. Set Altitude to 4500'. It creates a flight from AeroVally to Wichata Falls.
2. Looking at the profile tab, it encroaches Class B.
3. I add a waypoint along the route, just outside of the Class B.
4. Back on the Edit tab, I Click on 52F, change starting altitude to 2500'. Click on the waypoint that I created, change starting altitude to 4500.
5. Go back to profile, it creates a nice altitude profile avoiding the Class B.
6. Save as a favorite for later use. Clear fpl and close.
7. Open FPL, choose my saved FPL, Foreflight changed "52F" to coordinates? In Belarus? I have Foreflight looking at it. They seem to steer towards user error? Could be. I am human.

It only converts 52F to a coordinate, if I add a waypoint and save? If I leave it alone, encroaching Class B and save, all is good?
Your method isn't the proper way to do it, but when I follow the steps you do, I also get to start in Belarus, at 52 00 00N, 25 00 00E.

That clearly sounds like a bug within Foreflight, even if you didn't type it in the right way, it shouldn't change your starting point. Let alone to another country!

Your method isn't the proper way to do it, but when I follow the steps you do, I also get to start in Belarus, at 52 00 00N, 25 00 00E.

That clearly sounds like a bug within Foreflight, even if you didn't type it in the right way, it shouldn't change your starting point. Let alone to another country!
Agree it is a sort of bug, but the bug is that the pilot was allowed to do something they shouldn't have been allowed to do. It should have generated an error message or not have provided the option in the first instance. There is no syntax to define this, so when it gets saved, it is garbage in and results in garbage out.

52F/A2500 is most likely what gets saved away. On reloading it is not really comprehensible and is incorrectly interpreted as 52 00 00N and 25 00 00E.

Yes! They call it AeroValley now for some reason. Cool little airport, except for road traffic crossing the runway. Thats sort of sketchy.

Back