ForeFlight to pair with Garmin avionics

Or, it acts as a backup for Stratus. Stratus works via WiFi; Garmin's offering works via Bluetooth.

I wonder what this will do to the resale value of an old Stratus? Or the cost/demand for a new Stratus for that matter.

The big dogs are just getting bigger, just another option for Garmin to offer,pilots with the foreflight system. I'll stay with my stratus 2 untill things shake out. At sun n fun Garmin was pushing to capture the ADSB market for anyone who had their products in use.

I think this is big on Garmin's part. Not sure how well Garmin Pilot sells compared to Foreflight. I have both but prefer Foreflight more. Nice to see them willing to work with them...

Foreflight's really taking it up a notch or two. First hiring Scott D for weather (which has been great) and now this... Can't wait to see what we have next year!

This is welcome news since I use foreflight and have a GTN 750, but the Flightstream 210 is still more expensive than the stratus 2s, it's not portable, and there's still a single point of failure (if I lose the electric system, the backup ahrs goes bye bye). So I don't know who would choose the 210 over the Stratus 2s, if you were only getting one or the other. Plus, the 210 requires a certified install, costing lots of money in labor etc.

Last edited:
This is welcome news for me as well. GTN 750 and using Stratus 2 now.

In the video FF sent out this morning, Tyson said the next phase will be flight plan cross-fill. That would be great. I like the increased connectivity. This may actually get me to install a FlightStream 210 so it's a smart move for both companies.

Once they announce flight plan integration...I'm in! Even if it means adding a FlightStream 210

So basically removing the need for a stratus ?

It is still a good relatively cheap(er) solution for your ADSB-In depending on your current avionics configuration.

Once they announce flight plan integration...I'm in! Even if it means adding a FlightStream 210

It is still a good relatively cheap(er) solution for your ADSB-In depending on your current avionics configuration.
Cheaper and provides separate AHRS that is not dependent on your electrical system. And portable.

They both have openly said "they're working on it" and "it's coming". I believe that to be the case.

I like ForeFlight and I use it
What I do see happening in the not distant future for GA VFR flight is that you will be required to be on a FILED electronic flight plan, squawking ADS-B
It will be the European model of total control of the airspace but done in the US way
There will be, of course, a small fee for each flight to offset the cost of the "services" the government is supplying to you :D

It's about time!! :happydance:

I guess it's time to finally upgrade from the iPad1. I just purchased the iPad mini 3 64GB, wi-fi/cellular. With the latest info about foreflight and garmin I wanted to make the upgrade all at once. I guess 08Romeo will be heading to the shop for the GDL88 and the Garmin Flight Stream 210 install to be coupled with the existing 530W. I'll be ADS-B compliant, eventually be able to cross fill flight plans from foreflight and my 530W still crossfills to my panel mounted 496 that provides battery back up flight plan in case the electrical goes TU.

I can see the price of the FlightStream listed online. It states an easy installation. Does anybody have an idea what the typical installation cost might be?

Possibly the beginning of the end of Garmin Pilot?
I wondered same. Let the software leader (FF) capture market share and bring everyone to the Garmin ecosystem. Then Garmin swallows ForeFlight and gets to rebrand it. Looks like standard M&A stuff.

I wondered same. Let the software leader (FF) capture market share and bring everyone to the Garmin ecosystem. Then Garmin swallows ForeFlight and gets to rebrand it. Looks like standard M&A stuff.

Couldnt agree more

I have it on good authority that ForeFlight LLC has no plans, at least currently, to acquire Garmin. :rofl:

Same thing I said on a different board.

I had an FS210 installed in my Bonanza for roughly $1400 in labor. A good deal of the labor in my case was removing and reinstalling the upholstery as the FS210 is mounted behind the rear bulkhead and cables are routed to the avionics and power in the panel. Some installations could easily be half that, depending on the aircraft. If a GDL88 is being installed at the same time, the addition of the FS210 would be very small, maybe only a few hours of labor extra. In my case, I already had the GDL88 installed.

I had an FS210 installed in my Bonanza for roughly $1400 in labor. A good deal of the labor in my case was removing and reinstalling the upholstery as the FS210 is mounted behind the rear bulkhead and cables are routed to the avionics and power in the panel. Some installations could easily be half that, depending on the aircraft. If a GDL88 is being installed at the same time, the addition of the FS210 would be very small, maybe only a few hours of labor extra. In my case, I already had the GDL88 installed.

Thanks for the info. I have the same issue. Just installed a GTN650 and GDL88 earlier this year. If I would have known this was just around the corner I would have installed the FlightStream at the same time. :mad2:

Anything is possible, and I've been saying for a while that I think FF's long game is to be acquired, but if that's Garmin's plan then why not just buy them now and stop dumping money (though minimal as it may be) into Pilot? With the FS integration, Garmin's probably helping FF more than the other way around, which would boost FF's valuation over time. Garmin is already quite comfortably the leader in the GA avionics market due to lack of effective competition, so I'm not sure that they need FF's help to bring people into their "ecosystem."

I'll also say that as a customer, I'm quite happy that FF is independent, and would probably be happier if they bought Garmin. :)

JKG

I think FF makes plenty of money and has a good business model and pretty consistent innovation. They're not looking to be acquired.

I am using Foreflight with a Freeflight ADS-B now. I think FF has decided that they want to play with as many different vendors as possible.

I think this is big on Garmin's part. Not sure how well Garmin Pilot sells compared to Foreflight. I have both but prefer Foreflight more. Nice to see them willing to work with them...

Foreflight's really taking it up a notch or two. First hiring Scott D for weather (which has been great) and now this... Can't wait to see what we have next year!

It's not complete competition for Garmin Pilot. With the Flight Stream box, Garmin Pilot is a 2 way communication link between the iPad and the radios, giving you a GTN style human interface on the GNS series boxes; that gives you the ability to do your flight plan and get your routing and clearance on your iPad , then instantly upload it to the radio, avoiding the push, spin, push, spin... interface with the engines running. You also get V-Airways and the ability to rubberband clearance amendments.

They haven't given out this interface yet, but I have a feeling they will. The big thing this gets for Garmin is not the increase in Flight Stream boxes (which at $1k are a bargain 'give away' in the Garmin avionics market), but the fact that they can put Avidyne out of business with it. Avidyne is all in on their slide in replacement 440 and 540 radios, but Flight Stream cuts them off at the knees for <$2k. Now I don't need a slide in replacement for my 430w to rid myself of that God forsaken interface. Now I can manage it with my iPad and/or iPhone running G-Pilot, and get my ADSB In on the cheap with my GDL-39-3D and get my AHRS input for the peripheral devices. I have a feeling eventually Garmin will come to terms with Foreflight and WingX to get that interface.

It's not complete competition for Garmin Pilot. With the Flight Stream box, Garmin Pilot is a 2 way communication link between the iPad and the radios, giving you a GTN style human interface on the GNS series boxes; that gives you the ability to do your flight plan and get your routing and clearance on your iPad , then instantly upload it to the radio, avoiding the push, spin, push, spin... interface with the engines running. You also get V-Airways and the ability to rubberband clearance amendments.

They haven't given out this interface yet, but I have a feeling they will. The big thing this gets for Garmin is not the increase in Flight Stream boxes (which at $1k are a bargain 'give away' in the Garmin avionics market), but the fact that they can put Avidyne out of business with it. Avidyne is all in on their slide in replacement 440 and 540 radios, but Flight Stream cuts them off at the knees for <$2k. Now I don't need a slide in replacement for my 430w to rid myself of that God forsaken interface. Now I can manage it with my iPad and/or iPhone running G-Pilot, and get my ADSB In on the cheap with my GDL-39-3D and get my AHRS input for the peripheral devices. I have a feeling eventually Garmin will come to terms with Foreflight and WingX to get that interface.

It's already been announced that the flight plan transfer will be in the next phase of the FF/Garmin integration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1m3s&v=sgqaQAiLH3s

I know nothing about the market strategy of these companies but an earlier comment said this may be the end for Garmin Pilot and I might just agree. I am thinking if that if that is the case why would Garmin not just buy Foreflight. The price tag would be easily within Garmins ability and oh what a hold they would grab on the market to the exclusion of Avidyne and others. Just sayin'.

I hope I am wrong. Foreflight is one of the best run little companies out there from a product and customer service standpoint. I would hate to see that tainted.

So how would that work for user created waypoints that are only on the iPad, could it copy from from the iPad ????

It does with Garmin Pilot, so I suspect it will with Foreflight as well. This s a good thing as lots of Garmin equipped planes will get the Flight Stream boxes, hopefully including the rental fleet. I have a feeling with the Foreflight integration, there will be great market demand. Does anyone know f Foreflight can use the GDL-39-3D to full function?

It does with Garmin Pilot, so I suspect it will with Foreflight as well. This s a good thing as lots of Garmin equipped planes will get the Flight Stream boxes, hopefully including the rental fleet. I have a feeling with the Foreflight integration, there will be great market demand. Does anyone know f Foreflight can use the GDL-39-3D to full function?
It can't use it at all.

Well, that may change with the GDL-88 and AHRS input comparability eventually, unless they have some contract with Stratus.
Pretty sure they do because it's a separate manufacturer. I'm sure Foreflight/Stratus each insisted on exclusivity. It's not an open system like WingX for example.

Yeah, makes sense. I wonder what will happen to the support for the old Entegra panels when Avidyne goes under?:dunno: Lot of older Cirrus copies are kinda vulnerable.

Cirrus could purchase Avidyne and give market pushback to Garmin by dropping the Perspective system from new airplane sales. Plus they can choke them on the parts supply side, considering that Cirrus is Chinese owned and has a lot of muscle yet.

Sounds exciting.

Well..... They sure torpedoed Apollo and their superior line of avionics. I guess it's bound to happen with ForeFlight versus Pilot.

Cirrus could purchase Avidyne and give market pushback to Garmin by dropping the Perspective system from new airplane sales. Plus they can choke them on the parts supply side, considering that Cirrus is Chinese owned and has a lot of muscle yet.

Sounds exciting.

Why would they? :dunno: Do the Chinese have any reason to buy Avidyne? If so I don't see it. The market spoke out loud about what it wanted. When Columbia was still around I went for a test flight with the factory rep. G-1000 or Entegra systems were available. In the year both were available, 20 some G-1000s sold compared to one Entegra.

The Chinese will build their own avionics suite for domestic use, and keep selling the Garmin for Western fleet SR-22s.

Avidyne can help drive a price war in avionics. The consumer wins, the manufacturer wins, industry wins. Everyone is happy except a Garmin stockholder.

Back