foreflight synthetic vision

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I'm going up today for the first time with FF Synthetic Vision on the Ipad, but I can't seem to get it to display SV on the ground. When I hit the split-screen button it says "no altitude information". Is this why? Is that because I am indoors? Will it work in the air with the Stratus II on?

I just checked mine. Indoors with no GPS connected, Stratus or otherwise, it does show the screen, but everything is Xed out.

Just in-case you didn't know.. You will need a Stratus 2 for attitude in Synthetic vision.. The heading Indicator will have a "X" on it until you start moving..

Huh.. odd. Mine works well on the ground as long as its connected to Stratus 2

Synthetic Vision will work on the ground fine with the Stratus 2 but you won't see a heading unless your moving .. the Stratus 2 doesn't have a compass but determines the heading from the direction you travel using gps

I flew with it Tuesday afternoon. I went West and then returned home to the East as the Sun was going down. It was pretty hazy and difficult to see in the haze and subdued light.

I was flying accurate heading rather than using the GPS for navigation. Something I do, just to try to continually hone my ability to hold accurate heading and altitude. The SV heading indicator was very impressive, giving my true heading. The graphics at 4,000 feet were virtually non existent, but there was a flag with the airport designator in the distance on the SV. I was heading a little to the left of it, but that was fine because it was setting me up for a good position for entering the downwind.

When I got close to the airport and descended to the pattern altitude, it filled in the terrain. Not very detailed, but general terrain. I was then busy setting everything up and forgot all about the SV until after I was on the ground. Drats! No problem though since the flight ended well.

I THINK, though, that for an approach, it would be most helpful for a straight in approach. Doing a conventional downwind, base, final, it will be showing what is in front of the plane only, and won't be useful until you're on final. That said, I don't know that to be true, but that's what I suspect.

I'm anxious to fly with it some more.

I flew with it myself on Sunday coming back down from the mountains. It's pretty cool. I like it. I don't have a Stratus, but it was still useful. Probably the best VFR use is associating small, hard to find airports with the terrain. For example, flying in to Columbia (022) can be challenging the first couple times since you can't see the airport until you're practically on top of it, so you have to be really on top of the sectional to find it. With this thing it would be a yawn.

I'm going up today for the first time with FF Synthetic Vision on the Ipad, but I can't seem to get it to display SV on the ground. When I hit the split-screen button it says "no altitude information". Is this why? Is that because I am indoors? Will it work in the air with the Stratus II on?

Likely a simple typo, but I think you meant "no attitude information."

My Foreflight SV is non-functional also when I am on wifi in my house. Since home wifi is stationary, it will not show any attitude information. It probably does not have any WAAS information also. Going outside with your Stratus II should show the desired info. I put my Stratus I in my car and drove around before trying it in flight.

Another note, make sure your Stratus has a clear view of the sky. On my first Stratus trial I had it mounted on the window in the back seat of a 172, which is obviously under the wing; it got no usable signal (duh!). On the return flight, I put it on the front windshield and it worked flawlessly.

:confused: Are you sure it doesn't say attitude? If it does, that goes away when coupled to the AHRS.

I don't have a problem getting it to display SV on the ground, but you have to be moving in order for it to know which direction to look. It displays the view in the direction of travel using the internal Ipad GPS. I would imagine it displays the view in the direction that the airplane is pointed with the Stratus installed.

I don't have a problem getting it to display SV on the ground, but you have to be moving in order for it to know which direction to look. It displays the view in the direction of travel using the internal Ipad GPS. I would imagine it displays the view in the direction that the airplane is pointed with the Stratus installed.

Not with wifi only I don't think.

Works fine for me, mini with cellular AND NO STRATUS.

Just doesn't show pitch or bank, which is fine with me, still works great with terrain avoidiance, which is all its somewhat good for.

:confused: Are you sure it doesn't say attitude? If it does, that goes away when coupled to the AHRS.
I haven't rechecked it since we flew, but I suppose I did misread it.
And it did work in the air. cool. But I still can't figure out how to get SV in a single screen. I can only seem to get it in split screen. I thought I saw someone explain that earlier, but I can't find it now.
Damn, it sucks to get old.

I think you just tap the icon for the map up at the top by the icon you tap to turn on the synthetic vision..

Turned the SV on when we were flying approaches the other day and came to the conclusion it would get us to the ground if we had a catastrophic failure of everything else.

It put us down the middle of 2 airports (1 with procedures and 1 without) but both cases we passed the threshold and it still showed it in front.

Not sure I am going to keep spending the added cost for the subscription cause If I did need it to land in IFR chances are I would be watching the blue dot on my approach chart before I would be looking at the SV screen.
Maybe if I lived somewhere a little more bumpy than Michigan it would apply.

Foreflight is a great tool but the SV seemed more like a Toy.

Turned the SV on when we were flying approaches the other day and came to the conclusion it would get us to the ground if we had a catastrophic failure of everything else.

It put us down the middle of 2 airports (1 with procedures and 1 without) but both cases we passed the threshold and it still showed it in front.

Not sure I am going to keep spending the added cost for the subscription cause If I did need it to land in IFR chances are I would be watching the blue dot on my approach chart before I would be looking at the SV screen.

I suspect that is why it took Foreflight so long to introduce it. But competitive pressures pretty much forced them to do so.

I haven't rechecked it since we flew, but I suppose I did misread it.
And it did work in the air. cool. But I still can't figure out how to get SV in a single screen. I can only seem to get it in split screen. I thought I saw someone explain that earlier, but I can't find it now.
Damn, it sucks to get old.

Tap the little icon that has four arrows pointing out down the side of the screen.

attachment.php

Attachments

• foreflightscr.png
    foreflightscr.png
    819.8 KB · Views: 88
I flew with it again late yesterday. As the sun was going down and the haze was getting worse it was helpful while coming into an airport I had never been to before.

Does the stratus provide any more terrain detail?

Get the best of both worlds: see the SV display AND watch the blue airplane in an emergency!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    597.7 KB · Views: 22
I flew with it again late yesterday. As the sun was going down and the haze was getting worse it was helpful while coming into an airport I had never been to before.

No. Just attitude info.

The terrain is in the App database/software. The Stratus2 If I read it correctly provides a WAAS GPS, an AHRS, and an ADS-B In link.

But competitive pressures pretty much forced them to do so.

And why they probably added ADSB traffic despite their initial position on the subject.

Back