ForeFlight Subscription Changes

Rcmutz

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
rcmutz
Well, it was only a matter of time once Boeing purchased ForeFlight. I received this message today concerning my legacy Basic subscription. Note also the price increase notice in the second paragraph.

Greetings Pilot,

We wanted to let you know that your legacy ForeFlight subscription plan has been discontinued and will no longer be available for purchase or renewal. Your current subscription will remain active until it expires and will not auto-renew. To ensure continued access to ForeFlight you must upgrade to one of ourcurrently-supported subscription plans for individuals: Basic Plus, Pro Plus, or Performance Plus.

Additionally, the prices of ForeFlight’s current subscription plans will increase on March 22nd, and purchases or renewals made after that date will pay the new price. As a loyal ForeFlight customer, we want to give you the opportunity to benefit from all the great new capabilities you've been missing, so upgrade to one of these plan levels before March 22nd to lock in the lower price for a full year!

Now that Garmin is done mass selling transponders and has you guys locked into Pilot or FF, you can expect the increases at regular intervals. It’s called profit after the sale.

Would be nice if you can just pick and choose what features you want to add on top of a basic plan. As of right now there is so much clutter I don’t ever use. But then there are features beyond basic that are great.

Apple pushed out updates that ruined older models of iPhones and iPads to force you to buy a new one. It’s not surprising to me Foreflight wants to shed the bottom feeders or force them to higher plans. You have money, and they want it.

Well, it was only a matter of time once Boeing purchased ForeFlight. I received this message today concerning my legacy Basic subscription. Note also the price increase notice in the second paragraph.

Greetings Pilot,

We wanted to let you know that your legacy ForeFlight subscription plan has been discontinued and will no longer be available for purchase or renewal. Your current subscription will remain active until it expires and will not auto-renew. To ensure continued access to ForeFlight you must upgrade to one of ourcurrently-supported subscription plans for individuals: Basic Plus, Pro Plus, or Performance Plus.

Additionally, the prices of ForeFlight’s current subscription plans will increase on March 22nd, and purchases or renewals made after that date will pay the new price. As a loyal ForeFlight customer, we want to give you the opportunity to benefit from all the great new capabilities you've been missing, so upgrade to one of these plan levels before March 22nd to lock in the lower price for a full year!

I said it before, Boeing ruins everything.

Boeing built airliners that crash themselves. So customers and regulators lost faith.

Fewer airliners sold, Boeing loses an ocean of money.

So yeah, now they want you and me to throw a few drops of our money into that ocean of loss.

I am curious to see what the new pricing will be for the “basic plus” plan. Of course if I upgrade now, I can beat the price increase.

It is my fault. I've been using Garmin Pilot for many years, but my new plane has a Stratus transponder, so I switched to Foreflight to get ADSB in. Once I start using something, it's price will go up. Sorry!

It is my fault. I've been using Garmin Pilot for many years, but my new plane has a Stratus transponder, so I switched to Foreflight to get ADSB in. Once I start using something, it's price will go up. Sorry!

I believe, if you had gotten a Stratus 3, it would of been compatible with Garmin Pilot. I have a 2S, one version short. :eek:

I believe, if you had gotten a Stratus 3, it would of been compatible with Garmin Pilot. I have a 2S, one version short. :eek:
Just my luck! I do like FF, but was sold on GP for many years and wouldn't have changed.

Not sure what version, but I have a Stratus ESG transponder.

Hmm. I may switch back to Garmin Pilot, but then again the Basic Plus is only $20 more than I paid for Basic. Have to do a little checking and thinking.

ForeFlight is a deal and never could get over the pricing from the beginning…safety, planning time, fuel savings and what not…I can say the pricing change ($20) does not get me upset…I wish fuel and other costs only when up that much…I am a little jaded as my kid works there and deals with this type of issue so be nice if your complaining lol

I have a Stratus3 I wish to sell.

To confirm some information….

If I renewed my subscription in March 21 (my existing renews in June), I will still get 12 months of access but at the current price structure. Correct?

I see prices for pretty much everything going up so why not this …

Don't forget WingX is an option. I just checked and its 74.99 for the basic.

I'm okay with prices going up. But why do they insist on calling every available plan "Plus"?

Greetings Pilot,

This is a great time to mention that joining SAFE gets you 33% off your ForeFlight subscription, and the discount is greater than the cost to join except on the basic plan. You can even use it mid-year to get the discount and reset your renewal date. You don’t have to be a CFI to join: https://www.safepilots.org/

If I renewed my subscription in March 21 (my existing renews in June), I will still get 12 months of access but at the current price structure. Correct?

I looked at this for myself.

Two things happen, it seems: first, your existing subscription is cancelled and you receive a pro-rata refund (of about 1/4 year in your situation, March to June) and second you get a new 12 mo subscription starting in March.

So in your situation, by making that effort, you’ll lock in savings on about 3/4 year beyond June, maybe saving $30 (assuming you’re already on Pro Plus and wish to remain so.)

My subscription renewed just two months ago, so my savings would be only a couple of dollars, and despite being a cheapskate I decided not to bother with that.

Last edited:
Looks like my Pro Plus subscription will go up by 10% from what I recently paid, which was the old price of $199.99 per year.

ahhhh...20%. From $200 to $240. Guess they are planning on another 10% inflation in advance. :)

From what I can tell yes. Plus they will prorate the amount of your remaining current subscription the way I read it.

Greetings Pilot,

Yep, same here. What FF/Boeing doesn't understand is that I don't WANT all those new capabilities.

Yep, same here. What FF/Boeing doesn't understand is that I don't WANT all those new capabilities.

Exactly!

My old Mini can’t even run all the features in the latest version of Basic. I’ll be paying more for extra features I can’t use unless I buy a new iPad.

Nope. Sorry. Not worth it. I just bought an iFly 740b because the iPad display is much too dim for daylight use in the cockpit. I like FF, but I’m not going to spend more money for features I can’t use running on a device I can’t see.

FF has such a high usefulness-to-cost ratio I have no problem paying a bit more. Frankly it’s always blown my mind a bit how much I get for $200. And compared to all of the other costs of flying?? No-brainer.

I said it before, Boeing ruins everything.
Didn't use to be that way.

The change happened when Corporate leadership left Seattle.

Coincidentally, when Boeing moved their HQ to Chicago, they moved into the 'Morton-Thiokol' building....

I had to go look at my FF subscription. Its been the same price for the last 5 years. Over the same period of time, the price of the 1st class postage stamp has increased more than 23%.

What other EFBs work with a Flight Stream?

I'm old enough to remember paying more than $99 a year just to have current VFR sectionals. And *way* more than $250 to have current approach plates. Still seems like a bargain to me.

And paper charts didn't allow me to plan on the web, have it show up on my tablet, push to my panel and sync back to my paper chart when I changed things in the panel.

Last edited:
Now that Garmin is done mass selling transponders and has you guys locked into Pilot or FF, you can expect the increases at regular intervals. It’s called profit after the sale.

No it’s call greed. after losses from B737-max and all other stuff… Boeing only knows how to creep for other loses. Disgrace. FF is only a software, there is no fuel, import or logistics issues… just lazy old greed. Shame Boeing.

Last edited:
Back