ForeFlight / Stratus losing connection. GPS position marker lag

RalphInCA

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RalphInCA
I have experienced several instances lately with ForeFlight (iPad mini 5) losing connection with my Stratus 3 during flight.

Also several instances of GPS position marker not keeping up with position of aircraft. Lagging behind.

Anyone else experience this? I have a tech-support request into ForeFlight.

It's happened to me (ForeFlight; Stratus 3; iPad Pro (the new one))... wait a few seconds for it to come back. It comes back 80% of the time. If not, I power cycle the Stratus. I've never had to reboot iPad.

Make sure all other apps that are GPS consumers are closed. Which is a good idea anyhow to save battery. On the tab where you can adjust settings, check the Devices sub-tab to make sure your ADSB In is seen and quality of connection.

My habit before starting engine is a "forced restart" of my tablet. Maybe not really needed, but if there is a lurking gremlin, doing that shoots him away.

Resurrecting an older thread.

I have a Stratus2S receiver that I use with a 5th gen iPad or iPhone 12 that are both running IOS 14.6. I use it with ForeFlight in an airplane with no built-in ADS-B in capability, so dumping this setup in this airplane is not an option.

Recently, I’ve noticed the traffic information (and I believe ADS-B signal) is dropping offline periodically. I power cycle the Stratus and the traffic appears again for awhile them drops again. It only takes a power cycle of the receiver to fix it. This doesn’t sound like an ADS-B antenna issue. Power cycling the iPad doesn’t help. The WiFi connection to the Stratus seems to remain connected. Sounds like a Stratus issue but I’ve got the latest firmware.

Anyone still using a Stratus have this problem? Surely not everyone has upgraded to ADSB-in capable avionics yet!

Yep - just landed from a 2.3 hour flight and the stratus 3 (with iPad mini 5) dropped off 3 times - the last time as I was coming into a very busy traffic pattern and trying to sort out what I was seeing outside w/what was on the screen… I just shut it down and stayed visual. Annoying. It’s been inconsistent the entire 5 plus years I’ve had it. Tried all the “fixes” - firmware, software, hard reboots etc.

I’m going to ditch it for something else.

Resurrecting an older thread.

I have a Stratus2S receiver that I use with a 5th gen iPad or iPhone 12 that are both running IOS 14.6. I use it with ForeFlight in an airplane with no built-in ADS-B in capability, so dumping this setup in this airplane is not an option.

Recently, I’ve noticed the traffic information (and I believe ADS-B signal) is dropping offline periodically. I power cycle the Stratus and the traffic appears again for awhile them drops again. It only takes a power cycle of the receiver to fix it. This doesn’t sound like an ADS-B antenna issue. Power cycling the iPad doesn’t help. The WiFi connection to the Stratus seems to remain connected. Sounds like a Stratus issue but I’ve got the latest firmware.

Anyone still using a Stratus have this problem? Surely not everyone has upgraded to ADSB-in capable avionics yet!

I finally fixed the problem! When one of the recent IOS updates occurred there was a new setting created. Go to Settings and page down to ForeFlight. Open that and the second one has the “Local Network” selection. It was off so I turned it on and it seems to be stable again. Appareo support didn’t mention anything about this.

I finally fixed the problem! When one of the recent IOS updates occurred there was a new setting created. Go to Settings and page down to ForeFlight. Open that and the second one has the “Local Network” selection. It was off so I turned it on and it seems to be stable again. Appareo support didn’t mention anything about this.

Well, shoot, mine was already on “Local Network” but I still had the issue. Reckon I’ll take the stratus back to factory settings, reload firmware updates and cycle that local network button and see what happens.

thanks for the quick response - I’ll post if I get good results. - Rob

Last time I had a similar problem I did the factory reset and maybe firmware update and it helped. This time nada. Until I changed the Local Network setting.

Last time I had a similar problem I did the factory reset and maybe firmware update and it helped. This time nada. Until I changed the Local Network setting.

righto - I’ll see what happens… maybe all of the above and some ritual that involves burning sage and chanting to the gods of adsb tracking

I too had this problem with the Stratus 3 and FF. It always seemed to happen at the most inopportune times. Actually like clockwork on a departure from a local airport KSGR. If my departure was to the North, it would disconnect at 800-1000 feet. Cycling the stratus would bring it online about 3/4 of the time.

I recently bought a Stratux and have yet to have a disconnection or loss of traffic issue. Now it is my primary traffic indicator on the iPad. The stratus gets to ride in the glovebox in case I ever have issues with the Stratux. So far, I’ve been very happy.

The whole situation with Stratus 3 disconnections has frustrated me to the point of considering a Garmin GTX-345 to hopefully eliminate all issues.

My solution to such disconnects was to get a GDL39, which has been solid for me.

Yep - just landed from a 2.3 hour flight and the stratus 3 (with iPad mini 5) dropped off 3 times - the last time as I was coming into a very busy traffic pattern and trying to sort out what I was seeing outside w/what was on the screen… I just shut it down and stayed visual. Annoying. It’s been inconsistent the entire 5 plus years I’ve had it. Tried all the “fixes” - firmware, software, hard reboots etc.

I’m going to ditch it for something else.
I've never had any luck with a Stratus, either the 2S or the 3. I originally bought a 2s because I was told by FlyQ that the 2s would work with their software. Wrong. The 2 would work, but not the 2s. So I spent a lot of time trying to figure that out. When I got new "official" word that the 2s would not work with FlyQ, I sold the 2s. Then I found out that the 3 would work with FlyQ, but it was moot at that time because I had switched to FF.

Lots of time the signal disappears with the 3. I reboot and it gets a little until the next time it decides to quit. I always though Stratus was the gold standard, but it seems like a very sketchy product to me.

Lots of time the signal disappears with the 3. I reboot and it gets a little until the next time it decides to quit. I always though Stratus was the gold standard, but it seems like a very sketchy product to me.

this x3. I thought it was the pinnacle of ADSB in but I have learned differently.

Back