Foreflight showing stadium TFRs

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
Looks like Foreflight is now showing stadium TFRs.
I can't find any official page where Foreflight say they do that, but I just opened FF and there are a whole bunch of those things here.

They have been there for years. Nothing new at all. You might have for the first time selected that TFRs be displayed in Foreflight.

Is this just when you are getting ADS-B input?

No they're downloaded and stored on your ipad. And when you're offline...flying...there will be a date/time stamp in the upper left hand corner of the screen indicating when the TFRs were last updated.

At least I think that's the way mine works.

Actually I just double checked and the date/time stamp is there all the time, even when connected, if you've selected "show TFRs." If you de-select "show TFRs" then that stamp goes away so it's definitely the last TFR update time.

Last edited:
This is new. I have show TFRs on all the time and this morning is he 1st time these have popped up. Thay all have the same effective date and time as well. I think it is a bug.

Flav

This is new. I have show TFRs on all the time and this morning is he 1st time these have popped up. Thay all have the same effective date and time as well. I think it is a bug.

Flav

They all have the same effective date because they were all issued back in 09. No bug.

The stadium TFRs may indeed be a new feature in ForeFlight as the OP stated. From the FlyTheWing website back in December, 2013:

On the Map, I leave Hazard Advisor and TFRs on in flight (60% opacity). Even though TFRs won’t update in real-time while flying, and TFRs that existed when I last had the iPad on Wi-Fi (just prior to the flight) will be displayed. Keep in mind, ForeFlight does not display Stadium TFRs like other products.

Last edited:
I don't think there was an update in the past 1-2 days. weird.
There is an option on the map page drop down that says TFR's. Is that selected?

i believe i read somewhere (maybe the foreflight blog) that this is a new addition

i believe i read somewhere (maybe the foreflight blog) that this is a new addition

Stadium TFR circles have been in FF a long time. Now if FF could show when they are active, that would be nice...

Stadium TFR circles have been in FF a long time. Now if FF could show when they are active, that would be nice...

In my area they haven't been on there. I get the POTUS and other TFRs but have not had stadium TFRs until recently.

Been on Pilot for quite a while. For you West Coasties like me - does FF show the pending TFR's for Obama's visit? Pilot is covered in yellow circles :(

In my area they haven't been on there. I get the POTUS and other TFRs but have not had stadium TFRs until recently.

I have to agree. I fly "the riverfront tour" in STL often, every month or two, and then land at KCPS for lunch.

Both the Busch Stadium and Edward Jones Dome TFRs block this route as the Mississippi River going through downtown is inside of both rings.

I "think" I've always kept "show TFRs" checked and, if so, there's no way they were there before. They're there today.

Heavy emphasis on I think.

I wouldn't swear to anything anymore.

I just might have to ping codemonkey and see what they say.

I just pinged ForeFlight, here is their response:

Hi Tim,

Happy to help.

Last night during server maintenance Stadium TFRs were added. For now this will be an always on TFR.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do for you!

Thomas Daugherty
ForeFlight Pilot Support
ForeFlight LLC

MachFly wins today's most astute award!!!

:wink2:

Last edited:
Nice. Now we won't have to call ESPN for pre-flight briefings any more. :yes:

I usually call the local Spanish stations Futbol announcer:

Hay algunas nubes dispersas por debajo de 5.000 pies, no la cizalladura del viento, temperaturas agradables .......FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

Nice. Now we won't have to call ESPN for pre-flight briefings any more. :yes:

Well, actually, yes you will. The Stadium TFRs on ForeFlight are on all the time. They're not just on when an event is going on.

FF now shows stadium TFRs over Comerica Park and somewhere between Ypsi and Ann Arbor. The only problem is, there are no such TFRs today and the info in FF says the ones depicted were last updated March 10, 2009. If they kept the info current like Skyvector does, this would be a killer feature. For now, it's more confusing than anything else.

Unless you're circling and buzzing the stadium, has anyone ever gotten in trouble for "clipping" one of these?

I wouldn't think enforcement of these is a high priority for anyone....

Unless you're circling and buzzing the stadium, has anyone ever gotten in trouble for "clipping" one of these?

I wouldn't think enforcement of these is a high priority for anyone....

I kind of agree with you, but I'll bet you the most common bust is for taking off or landing at an airport inside the ring without even realizing it. Easy to prove and hard for the FAA to ignore.

I have version 6.1, but while Oriole Park and Ravens Stadium in Baltimore are shown on the VFR Terminal Area Chart (TAC) on my ForeFlight, the TFR for tonight's Orioles-Red Sox game is not. Further, neither stadium appears when the chart is zoomed out so the sectional replaces the TAC. And the DC SFRA most definitely is showing in TFR mode. I can't find any other MLB TFR's anywhere in the US, either, and there are quite a few games tonight. What am I missing? Do they only show a short time before the game or while it's on? Is there something I need to do in Settings? I'm definitely not showing any pending downloads, either.

Last edited:
Well, bless my soul, the TFR for a Pittsburgh Pirates game at 5pm EDT (9 pm GMT) yesterday just showed up on my ForeFlight while checking my route for going to AGC Friday. Got a couple in Cleveland, probably for the Indians, too, also at 5pm EDT yesterday. However, there is still no TFR shown for the 7pm game tonight in Baltimore, nor for last night's game. :dunno:

It's confusing to say the least. Maybe a follow up email to FF about the TFR ALWAYS being active on the TFR map.

I'm going to email our local FSDO this afternoon about the update and how to receive actual Stadium TFRs. Our POI is very helpful. I've actually never noticed any active or been told about any active by Lockheed.

It's a very subjective TFR. 1 hour before and after the game/event. Well what if the game runs late or gets rained delayed?

Well plus Foreflight doesn't account for the blanket TFR that affects virtually every organized sporting event.

Like you're supposed to know a little league game is in progress beneath you. Sheesh.

It's confusing to say the least. Maybe a follow up email to FF about the TFR ALWAYS being active on the TFR map.
Worth doing.
I'm going to email our local FSDO this afternoon about the update and how to receive actual Stadium TFRs. Our POI is very helpful. I've actually never noticed any active or been told about any active by Lockheed.
You can try that, but the FAA response to that question in the past has been, essentially, "the information on those games is available from public sources; other than that, it's your problem, not ours".

It's a very subjective TFR. 1 hour before and after the game/event. Well what if the game runs late or gets rained delayed?
Good reason to be in contact with ATC any time you're anywhere near one of those games/stadiums. Generally, if ATC doesn't report you, nobody else will, and ATC contact is generally sufficient to cover you even to transit those areas (but not to loiter).

GarminPilot (Nexus) also shows the stadium TFRs. Because there is never an "active" date or time associated with them, it's a reminder to me that I need to check the paper or ESPN if I'll be in the area.

A couple years ago, low and slow over the KC Chiefs Arrowhead Stadium, there was a guy towing a banner calling for the firing of the coach. I remember there was quite a bit of hoopla over it, but the guy did it just before the stadium TFR kicked in:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/20121007_231456.jpg

Like you're supposed to know a little league game is in progress beneath you. Sheesh.
If you think that, I guess you have not read the FDC NOTAM creating the stadium TFR's. so here it is in its entirety for your education:
FDC 9/5151 FDC PART 1 OF 2 .. SPECIAL NOTICE .. SPORTING EVENTS. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. THIS NOTICE REPLACES FDC NOTAM 3/1862 DUE TO THE WAIVER WEBSITE CHANGE AND LANGUAGE CLARIFICATION. THIS NOTICE MODIFIES FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS PREVIOUSLY ISSUED IN FDC NOTAM 3/1862 TO COMPLY WITH STATUTORY MANDATES DETAILED IN SECTION 352 OF PUBLIC LAW 108-7 AND AS AMENDED BY SECTION 521 OF PUBLIC LAW 108-199. PURSUANT TO 49 USC 40103(B), THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION (FAA) CLASSIFIES THE AIRSPACE DEFINED IN THIS NOTAM AS 'NATIONAL DEFENSE AIRSPACE'. ANY PERSON WHO KNOWINGLY OR WILLFULLY VIOLATES THE RULES CONCERNING OPERATIONS IN THIS AIRSPACE MAY BE SUBJECT TO CERTAIN CRIMINAL PENALTIES UNDER 49 USC 46307. PILOTS WHO DO NOT ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES MAY BE INTERCEPTED, DETAINED AND INTERVIEWED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT/SECURITY PERSONNEL. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, COMMENCING ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME OF THE EVENT UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF THE EVENT. ALL AIRCRAFT AND PARACHUTE OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A 3 NMR UP TO AND INCLUDING 3000 FT AGL OF ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE WHERE EITHER A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING. THIS NOTAM ALSO APPLIES TO NASCAR SPRINT CUP, INDY CAR, END PART 1 OF 2 FDC 9/5151 FDC PART 2 OF 2 .. SPECIAL NOTICE .. SPORTING EVENTS. EFFECTIVE AND CHAMP SERIES RACES EXCLUDING QUALIFYING AND PRE-RACE EVENTS. FLIGHTS CONDUCTED FOR OPERATIONAL PURPOSES OF ANY EVENT, STADIUM OR VENUE AND BROADCAST COVERAGE FOR THE BROADCAST RIGHTS HOLDER ARE AUTHORIZED WITH AN APPROVED WAIVER. THE RESTRICTIONS DO NOT APPLY TO THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY AND IN CONTACT WITH ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY OF FLIGHT PURPOSES, DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, LAW ENFORCEMENT, AND AIR AMBULANCE FLIGHT OPERATIONS. ALL PREVIOUSLY ISSUED WAIVERS TO FDC NOTAM 3/1862 REMAIN VALID UNTIL THE SPECIFIED END DATE BUT NOT TO EXCEED 90 DAYS FOLLOWING THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS NOTAM. INFORMATION ABOUT WAIVER APPLICATIONS AND TSA SECURITY AUTHORIZATIONS CAN BE FOUND AT HTTP://WWW.TSA.GOV/WHAT_WE_DO/TSNM/GENERAL_AVIATION/AIRSPACE_WAIVERS.SHTM (CASE SENSITIVE USE LOWER CASE ONLY) OR BY CALLING TSA AT 571-227-2071. INDIVIDUALS MAY SUBMIT A REQUEST FOR A FAA WAIVER AT HTTPS://WAIVER.C3.FAA.GOV. END PART 2 OF 2
Notice that there's nothing about Little League games -- not even minor league baseball.

If you think that, I guess you have not read the FDC NOTAM creating the stadium TFR's. so here it is in its entirety for your education:
Notice that there's nothing about Little League games -- not even minor league baseball.

I kind of meant that tongue in cheek, but okay.

>>
ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE WHERE EITHER A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING.
<<

Nothing about a pre-season or exhibition game, though.

I kind of meant that tongue in cheek, but okay.
I guess my point is that most of these events occur in a major metropolitan area, or at least near a pretty good-sized city (remember, it's just Division I football for NCAA). In such places, flying low enough over that big a gathering to attract someone's attention visually, or not getting flight following, are both probably less than smart. In that regard, just doing the right thing will keep you out of trouble even without checking the sports pages.

They all have the same effective date because they were all issued back in 09. No bug.

The stadium TFRs may indeed be a new feature in ForeFlight as the OP stated. From the FlyTheWing website back in December, 2013:

Odd... I've seen the TFR over Miller Park depicted for a year or two. Maybe they were gone temporarily and back now? :dunno:

Been on Pilot for quite a while. For you West Coasties like me - does FF show the pending TFR's for Obama's visit? Pilot is covered in yellow circles :(

Yup.

I guess my point is that most of these events occur in a major metropolitan area, or at least near a pretty good-sized city (remember, it's just Division I football for NCAA). In such places, flying low enough over that big a gathering to attract someone's attention visually, or not getting flight following, are both probably less than smart. In that regard, just doing the right thing will keep you out of trouble even without checking the sports pages.

Except in Chicago, where it can still be difficult to get flight following sometimes. Or Vegas, I haven't had good service there either.

Well, bless my soul, the TFR for a Pittsburgh Pirates game at 5pm EDT (9 pm GMT) yesterday just showed up on my ForeFlight while checking my route for going to AGC Friday. Got a couple in Cleveland, probably for the Indians, too, also at 5pm EDT yesterday. However, there is still no TFR shown for the 7pm game tonight in Baltimore, nor for last night's game. :dunno:
On my FF, that TFR shows up (like all the others) but the effective time is useless, since it's March 10, 2009 at 5:09 (again, like all the others). I presume that's the last date the FAA NOTAM about stadium TFRs was issued.

There are also plenty of TFRs depicted today over areas where no game is to be played. So I would guess that this is a FF glitch due to their just turning on this feature on their server, that the info as of today is useless, but that (hopefully) they'll eventually get this straightened out and have stadium TFRs depicted only when imminent and active, and with accurate effective times (like on Skyvector).

I just pinged ForeFlight, here is their response:

Hi Tim,

Happy to help.

Last night during server maintenance Stadium TFRs were added. For now this will be an always on TFR.

Thomas Daugherty
ForeFlight Pilot Support
ForeFlight LLC

Thanks for verifying.

On my FF, that TFR shows up (like all the others) but the effective time is useless, since it's March 10, 2009 at 5:09 (again, like all the others). I presume that's the last date the FAA NOTAM about stadium TFRs was issued.

There are also plenty of TFRs depicted today over areas where no game is to be played. So I would guess that this is a FF glitch due to their just turning on this feature on their server, that the info as of today is useless, but that (hopefully) they'll eventually get this straightened out and have stadium TFRs depicted only when imminent and active, and with accurate effective times (like on Skyvector).

Hope your correct.

Ron L, Azure, MachFly...

Can you people not read????

(Well, okay, I knew Ron couldn't but you other two have no excuse!)

Hi Tim,

Happy to help.

Thomas Daugherty
ForeFlight Pilot Support
ForeFlight LLC

Ron L, Azure, MachFly...

Liz is a physicist, she can only read Hebrew and Sanskrit (and then only if it's written backwards and upside-down.)

'Hope this is a valid question....

Do the TFRs show ACTUAL TFRs, or just the stadium areas in question. I think GPilot shows "stadium TFRs", but really just shows the stadium areas, and does not show the actual TFR when the game (or whatever) is actually going on.

The only "accurate" Stadium TFR source, that I'm aware of, is on SkyVector.com

Ron L, Azure, MachFly...

Nope, I saw that, but thought "always on TFR" was ambiguously enough worded that it was worth spelling out what was going on.

(Besides, C'Ron obviously was completely fooled, and that usually takes some doing. ;))

And I really HOPE they eventually get it right... considering that you get this for real with Skyvector without paying them a dime.

Back