ForeFlight shortcoming

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
Now that I have an iPhone to back up ForeFlight on my iPad I've noticed one glaring shortcoming: the lack of a sync capability for your Aircraft list. I fly quite a few different aircraft on a very regular basis and manually re-entering all of them is a royal PITA. This seems like a very simple "fix" and I hope they do it soon. While they're at it, automagically sync the W&B info, too!

As a kudo, I love he seamless sharing of flight plan data. :yes:

Did you send that idea to them as an enhancement suggestion?

Did you send that idea to them as an enhancement suggestion?

Yes, when I couldn't find the sync I asked them where it was hidden. They said it was on "The List". I was surprised that hadn't been implemented long before with the number of people with both iPhone and iPad using FF.

Last edited:
I can't even get them to fix the BUGS in their stupid flight plan filing with the last update. Good luck getting them to add features.

Look into Garmin Pilot and see if they have what you want. It's now a more complete platform, especially when coupled with the GDL-39, with the added advantage that when you climb into a plane with a GTN series radio, you will already understand the menu architecture and be able to operate it intuitively within minutes to above intermediate capabilities.

Look into Garmin Pilot and see if they have what you want. It's now a more complete platform, especially when coupled with the GDL-39, with the added advantage that when you climb into a plane with a GTN series radio, you will already understand the menu architecture and be able to operate it intuitively within minutes to above intermediate capabilities.

No IAP overlay feature. That's a huge convenience in FF (and FlyQ)

Child of the portable magenta is worse than a child of the magenta

Child of the portable magenta is worse than a child of the magenta

Not particularly, actually if you use it wisely and thoughtfully, it really helps improve ones abilities in pilotage. Technology is not innately good or bad. How we apply the technology is what has that influence.

No IAP overlay feature. That's a huge convenience in FF (and FlyQ)

Not particularly, actually if you use it wisely and thoughtfully, it really helps improve ones abilities in pilotage. Technology is not innately good or bad. How we apply the technology is what has that influence.

Using a position overlay on an instrument approach really ain't helping one's pilotage ability.

Agree with the comment about applying the technology, but using a commercial tablet to fly an approach is not showing good judgement in applying technology. I would disagree that this is using "it wisely and thoughtfully".

Using a position overlay on an instrument approach really ain't helping one's pilotage ability.

Agree with the comment about applying the technology, but using a commercial tablet to fly an approach is not showing good judgement in applying technology. I would disagree that this is using "it wisely and thoughtfully".

Looking at the VFR chart representations on the iPad, same as those on the VFR paper charts, with relation to what you see out the window, with the confidence that the position you are comparing to on the chart is being plotted accurately. Once you really start looking at how good the detailing on a VFR chart is, and start seeing how drawn details represent on the ground, that is what builds good pilotage and chart reading. When you eliminate position doubt, the learning process of pilotage becomes much more efficient.

Assume much?? It's a thing called situational awareness. Personally, I think NOT using tools readily available to increase situational awareness is borderline pilot malpractice.

BTW, please enlighten me on how you apply "pilotage" while shooting an instrument approach??! :goofy:

Jonesy: That's the same thing I always wondered. Hopefully they'll have it in soon enough.

Flying for me would definitely be different without Foreflight. Part of me kicks myself for not doing this sooner, but the other part is glad there's good tech like FF now. :)

BTW, please enlighten me on how you apply "pilotage" while shooting an instrument approach??! :goofy:

You tell us. You were the one that said having position shown during an approach was a requirement. If you can't fly an approach without that, might need to get some time with a qualified CFII.

Henning noted that this helped pilotage. I was just responding to your need for it to be shown during an approach when he mentioned it helped pilotage.

You tell us. You were the one that said having position shown during an approach was a requirement. If you can't fly an approach without that, might need to get some time with a qualified CFII.

Henning noted that this helped pilotage. I was just responding to your need for it to be shown during an approach when he mentioned it helped pilotage.

Please point to where I said that was a "requirement"?? Perhaps I missed it. Since I earned my ratings, then flew IFR for a couple of decades with only Nav/Comms and an ADF, I can't imagine thinking it a requirement. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven the day I got a DME...talk about "cheating" while IFR! :rofl:

Or, perhaps you read something that wasn't there. And if you reread what Henning said, he was referring to VFR flight using electronic charts as an aid to building up pilotage skills. You're the one that did the giant leap from his VFR pilotage discussion to IFR flying.

When you turn on the setting for File&Brief "Download Filed Plans", it will restore the aircraft that you have setup.

From Your Post above. Maybe the 'No IAP overlay feature' was not you?:dunno:

No, that was my post. See the word "convenience"?? That's the one you substituted "requirement"....that was the huge leap. I also find DME's a huge "convenience", but not a requirement. But I suppose we have some "Children of the Digital Numerics" because of DME?? :dunno:

Last edited:
Assume much?? It's a thing called situational awareness. Personally, I think NOT using tools readily available to increase situational awareness is borderline pilot malpractice.

Well said.

I use technology to make me safer. And to make it easer to fly. Both.

Not using technology to make do so would be just dumb.

.... But I always have a back up plan, or two, in my back pocket, ready to pull out and use - competently - immediately.

I just got an email from Foreflight confirming v6.4 includes sync support for aircraft profiles and flight plans. It also includes new performance data fields for each aircraft to give better flight plan burn and enroute estimates.

It will be released after the NBAA show.

Back