Foreflight seminar (recorded 5/19/2012)

jason

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Jason W (FlyNE)
For those that are wanting to learn more about Foreflight, you might want to watch this video that they recorded at the Sporty's Fly-in on May 19, 2012.

Wow... Seeing both Tyson and Jason in the key frame there tells me that it's gonna be a good video. :yes:

Wow, I don't know what it says about my usage of ForeFlight, but I already knew almost all the tips they talked about! One thing they didn't mention is tha ability to use both an iPad and an iPhone (or even two iPads) on the same subscription, as long as only one is in use at a time. That makes it easy for Leslie and me to have a built-in backup system with two iPads aboard.

Which reminds me of a recent trip we took with another couple of pilots. In a four-place aircraft, we figured that we had no fewer than ELEVEN GPS receivers with moving map displays!

Thanks for posting this Jason!

I thought a new Foreflight really well, but I did pick up a few things I didn't already know.

One thing they didn't mention is tha ability to use both an iPad and an iPhone (or even two iPads) on the same subscription, as long as only one is in use at a time. That makes it easy for Leslie and me to have a built-in backup system with two iPads aboard.

Grant,

Unless it's changed, I think the normal policy is one iPad and one iPhone, but you can use them at the same time. Didn't you and Leslie get some sort of special deal from them? I'm almost positive it won't activate on two iPads at the same time. I guess if you log into one and it logs you out of the other that might work, but there might be limits to that. :dunno:

Which reminds me of a recent trip we took with another couple of pilots. In a four-place aircraft, we figured that we had no fewer than ELEVEN GPS receivers with moving map displays!

You'd still declare an emergency if you lost one, right? ;)

Grant,
Unless it's changed, I think the normal policy is one iPad and one iPhone, but you can use them at the same time. Didn't you and Leslie get some sort of special deal from them? I'm almost positive it won't activate on two iPads at the same time. I guess if you log into one and it logs you out of the other that might work, but there might be limits to that. :dunno:
It is possible to have two iPads simultaneously activated, but one has to be truly a backup, and not used simultaneously. I don't know if that is enforced in the code or not; we've always abided by it. If we both need charts up, I also have a subscription to WingX Pro, so I'll use that on my iPad while she uses ForeFlight on hers.
Of course, because then we would have an even number of GPSs and we could get in a situation where half said one thing and half said another with no tiebreaker!:hairraise: :lol:
Actually, we almost did declare an emergency on that flight, as we weren't getting any gear indication. We had a helicopter do a flyby for a visual check and all other indications were that the gear was down, so we landed gingerly.

Landing gingerly... Hmmm. Apparently it worked.

Wonder how it would go if one landed MaryAnn-ly

Tee-hee, I'm warped

Grant,

I've used both my IPhone and my IPad in flight on the same subscription with no problems. I've never read anything that indicates this is not within the agreement.

Landing gingerly... Hmmm. Apparently it worked.

Wonder how it would go if one landed MaryAnn-ly

Tee-hee, I'm warped

Bah.

Asking if you should use 50 lb test line and a steel leader, or something stronger -- and whether to use a deep sea reel or just a spinning reel and rod -- to land Ginger...

That's warped. ;)

I've used both my IPhone and my IPad in flight on the same subscription with no problems. I've never read anything that indicates this is not within the agreement.

An iPhone and an iPad *is* within the agreement, as I stated. Two iPads is not normally within the agreement.

Bah.

Asking if you should use 50 lb test line and a steel leader, or something stronger -- and whether to use a deep sea reel or just a spinning reel and rod -- to land Ginger...

That's warped. ;)

Fer sure. Everyone, and I mean everyone knows that all one needs to land Ginger is an acting contract for a major movie.

Mary Ann would require a house w/picket fence...

An iPhone and an iPad *is* within the agreement, as I stated. Two iPads is not normally within the agreement.
Kent,
Just got an automated subscription reminder from ForeFlight. They now explicitly state that you can use a second iPad as a backup.
ForeFlight Mobile subscriptions keep getting more valuable. We recently announced support for ADS-B in flight weather, aviation document management, added an intelligent touch ruler to simplify distance calculations, in-flight weather via Sirius XM, sharing of flight plans via email and Twitter, an online account management system called ForeFlight Manage (for individual and business accounts), logbook integration, interactive airmets and TFRs, graphical PIREPs, and a lot more. An individual subscription will even work on a second iPad as a backup.

Kent,
Just got an automated subscription reminder from ForeFlight. They now explicitly state that you can use need to purchase a second iPad as a backup.

FTFY :D :lol: :D

For those that are wanting to learn more about Foreflight, you might want to watch this video that they recorded at the Sporty's Fly-in on May 19, 2012.

Thanks Jason, as a new pilot i learned several things. Appreciate you posting the link.

Back