ForeFlight radar

Rebel Lord

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rebel Lord
What's the difference between Composite radar and lowest tilt?

Which one should I use?

Composite is for plastic airplane guys. Lowest tilt is straight and level flying. True story.

Composite is for plastic airplane guys. Lowest tilt is straight and level flying. True story.
Silly boy, composite radar picks up composites so you can see stealth aircraft. Lowest tilt just picks up slow aircraft which aren't going full tilt. Sheesh, this stuff is really fundamental.

On a somewhat related note ...

On my way back from breakfast at Sedona yesterday, ABQ Center said, “7YQ, radar shows moderate precipitation for the next five miles of your route. Do you have the precipitation in sight?”

I looked real hard, but this was all I saw out the windshield:

P4300540_600_zpsihyuq5wi.jpg

Sure enough, whatever the controller saw even shows up on the Flightaware track of my flight:

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-01%20at%208.06.04%20AM_zps8ft0ta14.png

There was nothing on the Foreflight ADS-B radar display.

Moisture density often will show as mild precip on NEXRAD, even when there is no actual precip. There is no difference between ADS-B in Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, WingX, or for that matter from Sirius XM in as far as NEXRAD is concerned. They all have the same sources. You just receive it either from space or from an ADS-B tower.

Often the precip radar will pick up other forms of liquid, such as small life forms. Our nightly bat exodus from under the bridges can be often seen on radar, just ask our TRACON guys. They know exactly when sunset it, even though they sit in a dank closed-up room, staring at a dark scope. :)

On my way back from breakfast at Sedona yesterday, ABQ Center said, “7YQ, radar shows moderate precipitation for the next five miles of your route. Do you have the precipitation in sight?”

Flying right seat with a pilot once and his response to that same call was "affirmative, headed for the plane wash"

There is no difference between ADS-B in Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, WingX, or for that matter from Sirius XM in as far as NEXRAD is concerned. They all have the same sources. You just receive it either from space or from an ADS-B tower.
ADS-B has 2 sources. It is either regional or national. The regional display has finer resolution than the national. XM has finer resolution yet. I also believe it uses a different processor for the base data. Long story short, yes there can be considerable difference in the data displayed. Know before you go.

Pilawt, is that Lake Pleasant at 11 o'clock? I made a trip to Prescott a few weeks ago after flying the Phoenix transition for the first time.

Back