foreflight question.

superdad

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
superdad
So what's the difference between ForeFlight basic and the Pro?

The biggest difference for me was the geo-referencing on the Ifr approach charts

I really don't understand what geo-referencing is, need to google that one.

In addition to showing your position on the map with the standard version of foreflight, georeferencing will show your position on a taxi diagram, and also on an approach plate.

I believe the pro version also has Synthetic Vision which would be really nice if flying in the soup.

I don't think the basic subscription has plates, does it? I don't need them but I don't see where I have access to them in basic.

https://www.foreflight.com/pricing/

It has NACO plates and everything you really need for IFR (except a backup for the charts…). What it doesn't have is a little blue dot and arrow where you are in the approach, that you must know by other means anyway.

In addition to showing your position on the map with the standard version of foreflight, georeferencing will show your position on a taxi diagram, and also on an approach plate.

I believe the pro version also has Synthetic Vision which would be really nice if flying in the soup.

The pro version does not come with SV. It is an extra subscription, now can it be had with basic..im not sure.

But I love moving my plate to the map and using it to start an approach. It is great. Is it worth the extra $75 for pro..eh maybe not..but then again I do it every year. Haha

Geo referenced approach charts are the major benefit ,if you fly IFR. Haven't tried the synthetic vision function yet,not sure it's worth the price.

Ok here is what I found out, the free 30 day is for the basic, you can not over lay on IFR plate in the free version and use moving map its very limited, for 75.00/year is the basic add 25.00 for the synthetic and you get the moving map IF you have a built in GPS or external GPS.

Pro is 175/year, add 25 for the synthetic

Not really sure I would use the synthetic but would be downloading the Pro.

Every time FF does an upgrade, the basic users keep complaining that they don't get the benefit of most of the new features. The extra price is a small price to pay to keep getting these neat improvements.

But to answer your question, for a VFR pilot, the main thing is the geo-referenced taxi diagrams. It just makes it so easy to see where you are on the airport, and to follow ground instructions at poorly marked airports. To me, that alone is worth the Pro version.

Every time FF does an upgrade, the basic users keep complaining that they don't get the benefit of most of the new features. The extra price is a small price to pay to keep getting these neat improvements.

But to answer your question, for a VFR pilot, the main thing is the geo-referenced taxi diagrams. It just makes it so easy to see where you are on the airport, and to follow ground instructions at poorly marked airports. To me, that alone is worth the Pro version.

I started my IR training and use the free version last night. My CFII has the full version Pro and it was cool how you can over lay the chart on to a IR plate. Of course he has a Stratus 2

I started my IR training and use the free version last night. My CFII has the full version Pro and it was cool how you can over lay the chart on to a IR plate. Of course he has a Stratus 2

Stratus 2 and FF pro is a great combo. In the event of a total vacuum failure I have no doubt I could get to a good landing in the soup using FF AHRS. That is why I got the stratus 2. It's my back up.

The Pro version also has a "Profile" feature that tells pilots the elevation of terrain along the path of their flight plan. When flying in areas with mountains, I think it's a very useful flight planning feature.

When I was looking at FF as a new VFR pilot trying to decide between Basic and Pro...the Geo Reference taxi diagrams were the deciding factor for me. I fly into a lot of unfamiliar and larger airports. Now that I am IFR...there is no question about being on the Pro subscription.

Back