Foreflight Question about linking iPad to Garmin 530

Scott@KTYR

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Scott@KTYR
I cannot fine an email address to ask a question to Foreflight so I will ask it here.

On Foreflight’s website they say you can connect your iPad to your Garmin GPS via a Garmin Flight Stream 110 or 210. They show in a video of it connecting to a GTN 650/750 and say it will connect to a GNS 530W. I was trying to confirm if you can transfer a flight plane on you iPad to the GNS 530W using the Garmin Flight Stream 210. Anyone here know anything about this?

Last edited:
They confirmed it would. No video on this.

I've been eyeballing the FlightStream myself. I'll probably install that when I drop in the GDL-88 in the spring. I will be using FF anyway and it would be nice to have it talk to the GTN 750.

With a 430W or 530W I'd be all over the FlightStream fo sho.

I cannot fine an email address to ask a question to Foreflight so I will ask it here.

On Foreflight’s website they say you can connect your iPad to your Garmin GPS via a Garmin Flight Stream 110 or 210. They show in a video of it connecting to a GTN 650/750 and say it will connect to a GNS 530W. I was trying to confirm if you can transfer a flight plane on you iPad to the GNS 530W using the Garmin Flight Stream 210. Anyone here know anything about this?

Please share when you get the answers about how to do it.

Just installed a GDL-88 and Flightstream 210 connected to my 530W. I use Foreflight. The ability to transfer flight plans between the 530W and Foreflight work great.

Just installed a GDL-88 and Flightstream 210 connected to my 530W. I use Foreflight. The ability to transfer flight plans between the 530W and Foreflight work great.
You think it's worth the extra $1K just to have that connectivity? The problem is that as a backup AHIS, it kind of fails. If you lose electric in your plane, you're not going to have the backup AHIS or interconnectivity working on your iPad. Whereas if you get a stratus or GDL 39, both of which incidentally are also cheaper than the Flightstream 210, you get that backup WAAS GPS, AHIS, etc. separate from the plane's electrical system. Plus, it's portable.

The Flightstream 210 is the only product that has flight plan connectivity. The 210 is $995 plus installation which runs 8-10 hours. So total cost is north of $2K.

It is really useful IF you fly complex routes, airways with lots of turns, SID's and STAR's.

Alan

The Flightstream 210 is the only product that has flight plan connectivity. The 210 is $995 plus installation which runs 8-10 hours. So total cost is north of $2K.

It is really useful IF you fly complex routes, airways with lots of turns, SID's and STAR's.

Alan
I can see it being incredibly useful with a GNS 430/530 since that doesn't have airway support. The GTN 650/750 series does, however, making inputting routes much, much easier. Still, for $2K, I can program it in myself. The truth is that bluetooth support really should have been built-in to the 600/700 series given the outrageous cost!

Just had the same upgrade, GDL88 and the flightstream 210 connected to my 530W. A very good package that works great. Garmin has a coupon for $200 and a rebate for $250 so every little bit helps.

I decided to try loading an approach from the iPad to the 530 and that worked too. I'm not sure about the IAF selection, I'll check that out after annual. I'm not impressed with the weather, I like the xm, it has a more detailed view and not as clunky/choppy looking.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video. Wow that looks great. That unit is on my buy list as soon as they have so rebates or coupons.

What's a FS210 run for these days? I may want to do that whenever I get around to the GDL-88 install.

I can see it being incredibly useful with a GNS 430/530 since that doesn't have airway support. The GTN 650/750 series does, however, making inputting routes much, much easier. Still, for $2K, I can program it in myself. The truth is that bluetooth support really should have been built-in to the 600/700 series given the outrageous cost!

Putting airways into a GNS box isn't a big deal, just put the airway into foreflight and instead of entering V123 you just have to enter a couple waypoints, not really that big of a deal, even with NYC/LA type routing, no way is it worth two thousand plus dollars IMO.

image.jpg

Last edited:
James331,

Everyone has their own opinion. When your single pilot ifr and no auto pilot the FS210 makes life easy.

I had my first flight the other day behind the GNS503W/GDL88/FS210. Pairing the iPad was seamless. Loading and updating a flight plan (while enroute) was REALLY easy. I didn't enable traffic this time on the iPad but did play with the Synthetic vision....Nice! There was no weather around so was unable to play with that function.

I am extremely happy with this panel update (even though it was a bit expensive).

Kevin

Back