Foreflight Profile view altitude question

markdm

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
markdm
Hi all,

I'm new here. Just joined, so I'll briefly introduce myself. I'm a low hours PPL. Lost my medical in 2015 - just a temporary setback. I'm working with FAA to get it back and will probably be flying solo in a few months again. I haven't flown since 2015 and I'm working to get current again. I got my PPL extremely quickly (5 weeks) and never felt like a safe pilot, so I'm giving myself way more time now and diving deep on areas I felt weak on after I passed.

One tool I love, and I'm impressed by how much it's improved over the years, is Foreflight. I'm working to get really confident with FF using Microsoft FS2020 and PilotEdge to simulate cross country trips while I work with FAA to get the medical back. I'll also be working on a glider license.

One of my favorite features in FF is the 'Profile' feature for route planning. However, when I'm planning a VFR flight and I hold my finger on the map and add an arbitrary waypoint, and then adjust the altitude of that waypoint, it doesn't show the altitude change on the profile view.

It does show my altitude change in the 3D view. Profile view just shows me climbing and staying at an altitude for the entire trip.

I did find this post in the forums, but it seems ambiguous - appears to not work, but the final post suggests there is a way to show altitude changes in profile view. https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/foreflight-altitude-in-profile.87550/

Any help very much appreciated.

~Mark

Mark,

The Profile view does not support showing altitude changes at a point in the flight plan. Currently the ForeFlight profile view only supports climbs on departure and descents at the destination and a single cruise altitude. Good luck on getting your medical.

Mark,

The Profile view does not support showing altitude changes at a point in the flight plan. Currently the ForeFlight profile view only supports climbs on departure and descents at the destination and a single cruise altitude. Good luck on getting your medical.

Thanks John, that is very helpful. I’ll work around it.

Mark, the FF question has been answered, but I just wanted to say that I was at an aviation focus group a few years ago with some pretty accomplished pilots. The question came up "how long after passing your private checkride did it take before you started feeling comfortable about flying by yourself?" The answer was pretty consistent between 50 and 70 hours. Keep that in mind as you come back, you will get more comfortable as you fly more.

Also during your training to come back have the instructor focus on what makes you insecure. For instance, I came back from a 25 year hiatus a few years ago. One of the things I remember bothering me was landing at unfamiliar airports. So we flew to at least one new airport every time we were up. I stuck with my instructor for a while after he said I was ready to venture out on my own. I made it clear to him that was what I wanted. There are a lot of pilots out there who accuse instructors of stealing their money by dragging out lessons, so they get sensitive to that and don't want to get a reputation.

I made it clear that I wanted to be comfortable, it actually only took one or two flights after he said I was ready. Then if something happened on a flight that I wasn't happy with, I'd schedule some time with him and work it out. It's important to get comfortable, but it takes some time and ultimately it only happens when you fly solo.

Mark, the FF question has been answered, but I just wanted to say that I was at an aviation focus group a few years ago with some pretty accomplished pilots. The question came up "how long after passing your private checkride did it take before you started feeling comfortable about flying by yourself?" The answer was pretty consistent between 50 and 70 hours. Keep that in mind as you come back, you will get more comfortable as you fly more.

Also during your training to come back have the instructor focus on what makes you insecure. For instance, I came back from a 25 year hiatus a few years ago. One of the things I remember bothering me was landing at unfamiliar airports. So we flew to at least one new airport every time we were up. I stuck with my instructor for a while after he said I was ready to venture out on my own. I made it clear to him that was what I wanted. There are a lot of pilots out there who accuse instructors of stealing their money by dragging out lessons, so they get sensitive to that and don't want to get a reputation.

I made it clear that I wanted to be comfortable, it actually only took one or two flights after he said I was ready. Then if something happened on a flight that I wasn't happy with, I'd schedule some time with him and work it out. It's important to get comfortable, but it takes some time and ultimately it only happens when you fly solo.

Thanks Paul! That data is reassuring. Much appreciated!

Back