foreflight pro vs foreflight

rbridges

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rbridges
my subscription will need to renewed in October. I have a stratus, so I'm locked into foreflight. Any feedback is welcome, but I'm interested in IFR flying and whether or not FF pro is worth it.

I think fore-flight pro is worth it whether you fly IFR or VFR. Really; compare the cost of the upgrade to what you spend on fuel practicing T&Gs or stalls.

my subscription will need to renewed in October. I have a stratus, so I'm locked into foreflight. Any feedback is welcome, but I'm interested in IFR flying and whether or not FF pro is worth it.

The Geo referenced approach plates and Taxi diagrams when you land are well worth the upgrade in my book.

Plus being able to annotate right on the plate or taxiway is a pretty good bonus too.

The Geo referenced approach plates and Taxi diagrams when you land are well worth the upgrade in my book.

Plus being able to annotate right on the plate or taxiway is a pretty good bonus too.

Also consider that most of the upgrades and enhancements seem to be targeted to the pro version.

that caught my eye, but I didn't know how useful they were.

When I was VFR I went with Pro anyway but was on the fence and could have gone either way. Now that I am IFR, the geo referenced approach plate feature alone is worth the price difference!

If you are going IFR...Pro.

I've been flying with the basic version for four years. After 40 years of instrument flying with paper, I didn't feel particularly needful of the geo-referenced charts which were the only significant difference when ForeFlight first came out. However, those folks keep adding one new feature after another to the Pro version, and I'm about to the point of thinking the whole package of features now available with Pro is worth the extra money. I would note that nearly all of my IR trainees now use FF Pro, and not one has indicated the slightest regret for having spent the extra money for the Pro version.

I use it everyday for work, the plates and downloads are worth it alone for me.

I found the GeoRef, Taxi Diagrams, and Scribbles to be worth the Pro subscription. And now that W&B is in the Pro section, the increased subscription became more useful.

Scribbling on the plates is a great way to add your own stuff to the plate (like a note to switch a frequency, or twist the OBS). Especially if there is an FDC NOTAM changing a key item (such as minimas) that you wouldn't remember during the heat of the approach.

I've been flying with the basic version for four years. After 40 years of instrument flying with paper, I didn't feel particularly needful of the geo-referenced charts which were the only significant difference when ForeFlight first came out. However, those folks keep adding one new feature after another to the Pro version, and I'm about to the point of thinking the whole package of features now available with Pro is worth the extra money. I would note that nearly all of my IR trainees now use FF Pro, and not one has indicated the slightest regret for having spent the extra money for the Pro version.

If you're also a NAFI member, there's a nice 33% discount on the regular and Pro versions of ForeFlight, too. $50 for the regular and $100 for the Pro. At that price, it's worth upgrading.

Imagine the situational awareness offered by seeing your airplane on the approach plate overlaid over a sectional showing terrain, weather, etc...

Oh - no need to imagine. Here's a screen capture from this past Friday.

(Weather and traffic courtesy of Stratus but the rest would be there with just GPS capability)

Attachments

• IMG_0226(3).png
    IMG_0226(3).png
    394 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Have to go with the pro,have had the pro since its inception.the updates just keep getting better,also have a stratus 2.

thanks, Mark. I guess I'll update to pro.
The approach was to KGMU for the Southeast Aviation Expo. When we were turned outbound, told we were 6th for the approach and heard an approach clearance cancelled, I just had to snap the screenshot. Glad I had it to show you.

I definitely suggest spending a few more bucks for pro. And no need to wait, the upgrade cost is prorated.

When I was VFR I went with Pro anyway but was on the fence and could have gone either way. Now that I am IFR, the geo referenced approach plate feature alone is worth the price difference!

If you are going IFR...Pro.
I was on the fence too and went Pro before getting my IFR ticket. But now, for me the most useful thing about Pro is a geo-referenced TAXI diagrams, even more so than the approach plates. That's partly because my installed, certified GPS/MFD combo has most of that functionality. I have to admit that seeing ownship on the plate overlaid on the enroute chart or sectional is very nice and not a feature available to me any other way. But the taxi diagram feature is SO worth the price difference by itself, when you consider how easy it is to lose situational awareness at an unfamiliar field and take a wrong turn. Now that I'm in a new part of the country and landing at new-to-me towered fields all the time, I wouldn't be without it.

I should also point out that FF now has geo-referenced taxi diagrams for many UNtowered fields as well.

I will mention that the FltPlan.com iPad app has georeferenced taxi diagrams and instrument plates for free but I am still about to pull the trigger on ForeFlight Pro. I currently have only the basic FF subscription but there is $75/year value to me in having all my flying tools in 1 app... not having the switch back and forth to FltPlan. Also, if you use both apps you have to download all the plates on both which takes up a decent amount of space.

I will mention that the FltPlan.com iPad app has georeferenced taxi diagrams and instrument plates for free but I am still about to pull the trigger on ForeFlight Pro. I currently have only the basic FF subscription but there is $75/year value to me in having all my flying tools in 1 app... not having the switch back and forth to FltPlan. Also, if you use both apps you have to download all the plates on both which takes up a decent amount of space.

I have been test driving all of them. It appears that Pro is the way to go. And War Eagle!

Plus, the taxi diagrams can pop up automatically after touchdown. Very handy at a new airport.

Plus, the taxi diagrams can pop up automatically after touchdown. Very handy at a new airport.
Mine doesn't do that and since it is at home now, I can't look for how to do that. Can you give me a hint?

->more->settings->auto show taxi->on

"auto show taxi" is towards the bottom of the long settings menu.

This. And I'm VFR only but visit larger airports often and the referenced taxi diagrams are worth it.

Regular version here. Don't have any GPS capability on the IPad, don't have a Stratus yet, considering it.

Having flown with both versions in the sim, though, I prefer not having the aircraft displayed on the low enroute, sectional and approach plates, as nutty as it probably sounds.

I realize I'm in the minority, but I figured it was worth a quick post.

I found the GeoRef, Taxi Diagrams, and Scribbles to be worth the Pro subscription. And now that W&B is in the Pro section, the increased subscription became more useful.

Scribbling on the plates is a great way to add your own stuff to the plate (like a note to switch a frequency, or twist the OBS). Especially if there is an FDC NOTAM changing a key item (such as minimas) that you wouldn't remember during the heat of the approach.

Agree. Scribbling on plates is a fantastic feature and FF does this better by far than its competitors IMHO.

Someone said scribbles are in the non-pro version but I wouldn't know since I have been on Pro since I started using it.

Georef'd plates and taxi diagrams are easily worth the upgrade for me.

Agree. Scribbling on plates is a fantastic feature and FF does this better by far than its competitors IMHO.

Someone said scribbles are in the non-pro version but I wouldn't know since I have been on Pro since I started using it.

Georef'd plates and taxi diagrams are easily worth the upgrade for me.

Does anyone know if the scribbles are durable beyond data updates?

Say I scribble on the ILS18 for DTO. Then the new cycle is available, but there is no changes for this plate. Will my scribbles persist?

Say I scribble on the ILS18 for DTO. Then the new cycle is available, but there is no changes for this plate. Will my scribbles persist?

Good question. I think so. The LOM is notam'ed out of service at my home 'drome. I have used the annotation feature to mark that. It has persisted even as the monthly charts updates are pushed out.

As long as the procedure has the same name. I noticed that around Denver some of the DPs and STARs changed names and thus disappeared from my chart binder along with my annotations on them. For example, the PIKES FIVE became PIKES SIX, etc.

But other than that, they seem to persist.

Regular version here. Don't have any GPS capability on the IPad, don't have a Stratus yet, considering it.

Having flown with both versions in the sim, though, I prefer not having the aircraft displayed on the low enroute, sectional and approach plates, as nutty as it probably sounds.

I realize I'm in the minority, but I figured it was worth a quick post.

I believe you can turn off the display of the aircraft on the screen in the settings but still have the charts follow your current position if you want... Even though you're in the minority, you're probably not the only one.

Back