ForeFlight pirep - not impressed

jsbougher

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
LafBizGuy
Consider this more of a curious request for others info than an actual PIREP. I'm using an iPhone 3G ... a bit sluggish but generally acceptable. Also, it is NOT jailbroken.

Download experience was pretty poor. I downloaded the "free" version and thought I'd use for a month to get feel, then purchase. Tried downloading maps and found that you had to have paid version. Okay, sign up for the $79 annual plan since I'd read just about universal good reviews ... big mistake.

My experience:
1) On 3G, ForeFlight runs so sluggishly that it is almost unusable. I've started shutting down and restarting the iPhone prior to use ... reminds me of my days using HP handheld.
2) Weather radar looping simply doesn't work. It always opens with same weather overlay showing huge storm over central Indiana. Hit play and nothing happens. Hit play a half dozen times in frustration and occasionally begins looping, but always includes the giant storm as one of the loop pictures.
3) When using, it prompts for my iTunes password about every 2-3 minutes. Seems to be REALLY bad about this when in map section of program.
4) Really unstable. Just jumps out of the program on a regular basis. While not repeatable, this seems much more common when in the map section of program when double tapping to zoom in on a section of map.
5) GPS mapping doesn't track once cell phone signal is lost. I can use it in my car, but jump in plane and the "blue dot" disappears just as soon as I lose cell coverage. Simply doesn't recover until cell phone signal picked up again. And yes, I've downloaded all the maps so don't think it is related to inability to download maps real time.

All in all, I'm both puzzled and disappointed. Based on the overwhelmingly positive press this program has received, I really expected more. The program is useful enough that I'd really like to keep it, but the value proposition is pretty poor. I could never recommend someone purchase this without a long list of qualifiers and certainly never would have purchase the full version if I'd been able to more fully evaluate.

Anyone else using ForeFlight care to comment on my experience? Have you had similar issues or is it all peaches and cream for you?

Jeff

Now wait just a darn-tootin' minute!

If it's Apple, it cannot, possibly, have any flaws.

It must be your fault.

I downloaded the free version (90 day trial) and on the 3gs it worked great. I don't have a subscription yet but when I ramp up my cross country activity, I'll be spending the money.

I know the 3gs is quite a bit faster than the 3g...if you know someone with a 3gs, you might want to have them download it and you can see the difference. I didn't notice any bugs when I was using it.

The big question for me is, "does the GPS stop working when out of cell range"?

I have read this before, but have no personal observation one way or t'other. Would be good to know definitively.

Not that it's the same, but the disappointing experience you had with the iPhone version thankfully has not been my experience on the iPad version. They have a new version they demo for the iPad 3G that uses the GPS. I only have the iPad Wifi version and it is awesome with the ForeFlight app. It is basically an EFB. Complete with all maps, charts, plates, weather etc.

The iPad version seems very nice. Just got it yesterday and have not flown with it but it sure gives you a lot of info in one app. It also nailed my location here on the loveseat. :D

My experience on the 3G is that it works but is slow as hell. The 3GS is WAY better and the next generation iPhone should REALLY make it snappy.

I have read this before, but have no personal observation one way or t'other. Would be good to know definitively.
AFAIK the current versions of Foreflight don't use the GPS at all. Newer ones I'm sure will. The GPS should still work fine without cell range.

The issue is when your app is pulling map data from an online source, like google maps, then you're hosed without the data.

... Anyone else using ForeFlight care to comment on my experience? Have you had similar issues or is it all peaches and cream for you?

Jeff

I run Foreflight on a 3G Iphone and have NONE of the problems you describe. Might you have some other issues... low memory?... bad 3G connection?... etc?

Downloads are relatively fast, although I do plates and such via LAN, not usually 3G. Everything else is done 3G, including all animated imagery, and there is very little lag. Pulling down updated weather for 10 favorites takes about 5 seconds.

I don't think the problem is with Foreflight, so you might want to start eyeballing your carrier, or your Iphone.

jesse said:
AFAIK the current versions of Foreflight don't use the GPS at all. Newer ones I'm sure will. The GPS should still work fine without cell range.

The issue is when your app is pulling map data from an online source, like google maps, then you're hosed without the data.
Mine uses GPS to show your location in the "maps" screen.

I used the old Foreflight on a original, pre 3G iPhone and now run version 3 on the 3Gs. The only problem that you described that I have ever experienced with either version, on either phone is the occasional lack of weather imagery looping. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't.

Sac Arrow said:
I tried the trial version, on an Iphone 3G (not a 3Gs). It worked fine, and I was impressed with it, but I just didn't see enough added value to it to pay for a subscription to the service. I can get ALL of the same information through other free services, just not as conveniently.

Can I safely assume that you are in 3G coverage (or even edge) 99% of the time? Because there aren't that many free services that cache the enormous amount of data that Foreflight does for use in the air or where you don't have data connectivity.

AFaIK, the iPhone GPS uses the 3G datastream to acquire the ephemeris data and to generate an initial position quickly. The GPS should function just fine without cellular data once it knows where it is and which SVs to receive. I assume it can also self locate the "old fashioned" way as well but that can take several minutes. I don't know if the complete ephemeris is stored in the phone though.

I find the iPhone 3G to be a little sluggish these days as well (I use a different phone now, day to day, and going back to the 3G, which I do exclusively for ForeFlight, actually, makes me wonder a bit how I dealt with it). That said, I've never had extra sluggishness with ForeFlight 3 (I'm on 3.4 now...as everyone who has the subscription should be). It works great, actually.

I don't loop the doppler that much (I live in Arizona...:)), but I just went to check out the big system over the great lakes area and it looped perfectly. Every other time I've tried, it seemed to work, but like I said, I don't do it very often.

As for prompting for an iTunes password...that should never happen (and doesn't to me) except when downloading/updating apps/media through the app store or iTunes. It should never happen while running ForeFlight, so that seems indicative of some other issue you're having with the device/service.

The reliability issues haven't been a big problem for me, either. I haven't had a great number of app crashes...although it does happen (actually, in most apps it's happend to me at least once). For me, a full crash of the app is rare...happening to me maybe half a dozen times with several hundred meaningful uses of the app.

As for GPS coverage...again, I don't have the issues you describe. Like you, all of the pertinent charts are downloaded, and GPS works very well. Is it possible that the cockpit you're in may be interfering with the GPS reception? While you have cell signal near the ground, it could be triangulating your location (most phones do this now, including the iPhone; they use a combination of WiFi locating/cell tower triangulation/GPS to provide location services to applications).

I know a lot of other people personally who use ForeFlight...and I have never heard of experiences like yours. I'm afraid that the problems you are having are likely isolated to very few people...and you have the misfortune of being one of them. If your phone is still under warranty...you might consider having it swapped out; you may have a problem with the device. That said...I think your investment in ForeFlight is well worth it if you can get your device issues fixed. Not sure if it would help...but you might consider deleting ForeFlight and re-downloading it. Or, like I said, maybe have the hardware checked. Also, if you do get an iPad, you don't have to buy ForeFlight again...it will just work on that device as well...and work very well from what I've been told (I don't have an iPad).

ForeFlight is a great product that is very useful for many people, including me, and is backed by some very good folks (Jason and Tyson). I hope you can get the issues worked out so you can enjoy the benefits as well.

Good luck.

Bill~

Mine does but I have a 3G, not a 3GS.
What do you define by GPS stop working? If you mean the Maps app - that's because it needs to get the maps over the internet.

I'm not 100% sure that you can get location inforamtion without a cell signal but I would think you could. I'd need to review the SDK....

What do you define by GPS stop working? If you mean the Maps app - that's because it needs to get the maps over the internet.
I would say that if it can't tell me where I am I define that as "not working". :rofl:

So you're saying the GPS is working but there is no way to display the location?

I would say that if it can't tell me where I am I define that as "not working". :rofl:

So you're saying the GPS is working but there is no way to display the location?
No. I'm wanting to know what you mean by it's not working. Do you mean the Apple Maps application or do you mean any GPS utilizing application in general?

If you mean the Apple Maps application it's not that the GPS isn't working - it's that your phone doesnt have maps. The application loads it on the fly over the data network.

No. I'm wanting to know what you mean by it's not working. Do you mean the Apple Maps application or do you mean any GPS utilizing application in general?
I just tried a number of GPS utilizing applications with airplane mode on and none of them worked. They all said you need to be connected to the internet. I don't have a map application other than Apple Maps, though.

I just tried a number of GPS utilizing applications with airplane mode on and none of them worked. They all said you need to be connected to the internet. I don't have a map application other than Apple Maps, though.
Airplane mode disables the GPS receiver. Applications that have the maps built into them - instead of grabbing from the internet - would probably work without cell signal.

Airplane mode disables the GPS receiver. Applications that have the maps built into them - instead of grabbing from the internet - would probably work without cell signal.
Oh. I guess you'll need to wait until I get to a place with no signal for me to experiment then. How about giving me an example of the type of application you are talking about.

Oh. I guess you'll need to wait until I get to a place with no signal for me to experiment then. How about giving me an example of the type of application you are talking about.
Well - just an app that uses GPS and either stores the maps or doesn't use maps. An example might be a running/bicycling application that measures speed/distance travelled, etc.

There are probably simple GPS apps out there that output your speed/lat/long. not sure. haven't looked. they'd be ideal to test with.

Everskyward said:
Well, how about Foreflight :rofl:

Foreflight stores sectionals or airway charts in the iPhone memory. If you are in an area without either wifi or a cell data signal you may still view them and the integrated GPS will show your location as a blue dot. As previously mentioned if you have no cell data or wifi the aquisition time will be longer, but it will come.

Screen shot...sitting in my living room by a south facing window.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 27
The airport directory including a lot of baseline data is resident on the phone. The info in the attached screen shot is also available on the phone. I can punch in a route including waypoints, TAS, fuel burn and altitude and it will plot bearings, gallons and ETE, and put the magenta line on a sectional or enroute chart, and put the blue BB of your location on the chart as you travel the route in realtime, all without a data signal so long as you have maintained the download cycle. The only thing you require a data signal for (in the "field") is the latest weather data and imagery really - plus if you are connected it will use the closest winds aloft to recalculate the ETE on your route. With a signal you can drop all the route info into a FAA flight plan, and it will file it and brief it for you.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I'm waiting for the iPimp to weigh in on this discussion.

Kent must not be awake yet.:D

No. Turn off the iPhone. Remove your SIM card. Turn it back on. No service, and I promise you the GPS will still work (as long as the GPS is turned on). 3G or 3GS have a GPS reciever in them and can work independently of cell service.

As for examples of apps, some have been given, but if you use my method above to remove the sim card, you can still be connected to your wifi and prove to yourself in any app that it still works. As for something else to try that doesn't need a connection, there is a free version of MotionX GPS, I think. And of course, as has already been mentioned, ForeFlight.

No. Turn off the iPhone. Remove your SIM card. Turn it back on. No service, and I promise you the GPS will still work (as long as the GPS is turned on). 3G or 3GS have a GPS reciever in them and can work independently of cell service.

As for examples of apps, some have been given, but if you use my method above to remove the sim card, you can still be connected to your wifi and prove to yourself in any app that it still works. As for something else to try that doesn't need a connection, there is a free version of MotionX GPS, I think. And of course, as has already been mentioned, ForeFlight.
I'm not going to screw around with my sim card just to prove something for someone else. I don't care that much if I was right or wrong. :rofl:

I'm not 100% sure that you can get location information without a cell signal but I would think you could. I'd need to review the SDK....

Jesse...yes, you are right. GPS can be used without cell service. See my other response about taking the sim card out to prove it.

What gets people hung up on this sometimes is the fact that location services on a smartphone platform (including iPhone) do not use only the GPS. You can also get information on location from other sources (including cell tower triangulation, wifi hotspots, etc.). GPS happens to be the most expensive way (in terms of time and battery life), so most platforms will start with the other two methods, and keep narrowing down accuracy with GPS if needed. Many applications, such as local weather or restaurant suggestions never need the accuracy of GPS, and probably won't use it. Other apps, like mapping, bicycling, geo-caching, or turn-by-turn directions need this accuracy, and they justify the "cost" of GPS.

Since you're almost always connected to a cell tower, getting a general location based on that is very fast, and very easy on the battery (already connected, right). When you don't have this (in flight, for example), only the GPS can be used. It can take some time for the GPS to start working, especially if you've moved significantly (geographically speaking) since the last time it was recieving...or, if you don't have access to other location services to quickly get an idea of where you are at. Because of this lag (sometimes several minutes or more), it can appear that the GPS is not working. Also, some cockpits/cars/trains/buildings interfere with GPS reception and cause it to not work.

In any case, the fact is, iPhone 3G and 3GS (and presumably future iterations) do not have to have a cell connection for the GPS to function. This is true for the iPad (only the WiFi+3G version, though) as well.

Hope this helps clarify for everyone.

I'm not going to screw around with my sim card just to prove something for someone else. I don't care that much if I was right or wrong. :rofl:

It wasn't about being right or wrong. You were saying that you didn't think it worked for you. That may be the case, but I was simply telling you that it is not because of a lack of cell signal, and telling you a way to prove it to yourself. You took the time to go into airplane mode...taking out the sim isn't really a big deal either, but I certainly don't care if you do it or not. :) Trust me, though, the GPS on the iPhone 3G and 3GS does not require a cell signal. If it's not working, it's something else.

I find the iPhone 3G to be a little sluggish these days as well (I use a different phone now, day to day, and going back to the 3G, which I do exclusively for ForeFlight, actually, makes me wonder a bit how I dealt with it). That said, I've never had extra sluggishness with ForeFlight 3 (I'm on 3.4 now...as everyone who has the subscription should be). It works great, actually.

I don't loop the doppler
Bill~

Tyson from FF piping in.

I've had a 3G for about 1.5 years now and am about to smash it against the wall. After a couple hours of usage, I have to reboot the phone. Everything runs slowly on it, including FF. Reboot, and everything is fast. As the day goes on and I check email, browse the web, and use apps, the phone becomes responsive. There may be a bit of "device rot" going on.

I wiped the phone completely and reinstalled the OS and a couple of apps, and the experience was remarkably different (for a few days, before more apps were loaded). After usage, though, performance of everything declines.

I'm the only FFer without a 3GS, so have had the opportunity first hand to see the differences. The 3GS is smoking-fast, relative to the 3G. No comparison. The next iPhone, running Apple's new chip, will really smoke. I'm holding out for the new phone, hoping it is announced next Monday.

DM me PIREPs directly and we'll see if there's anything we can do to help out. Since I'm using the 3G, I look for specific ways in the code-base to make certain operations faster. We've identified a few opportunities (like disabling certain screen transitions) and will make those part of an upcoming release.

If those experiencing any perf issues want to participate in the beta program,
that is an option. Just email team@foreflight.com and we'll get you in queue. We keep the team size pretty small so it is manageable, but people do roll in and out of the program.

Fly safe,

-tyson

Thanks, Tyson. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like the 3G is dog slow. :) Foreflight, though, seems as fast as anything else on the device, so you must be optimizing the code pretty well so far. I'm sure the upcoming changes will make it even better. Like I said before, I don't even use my iPhone as a phone anymore, but I keep it because of ForeFlight alone. If I end up getting an iPad, the reason will be because of ForeFlight. I think it's that good (still the most expensive app I've ever bought for any mobile platform...and I have no regrets).

Thanks for making yourself available to the POAers as well, Tyson. For everyone else...this is one of the reasons I love ForeFlight; Tyson, Jason, and the others over at FF really care about your experience with the product and are continually making it better. I've been using it for over a year and each realese (major and minor) adds great functionality and performance. Great job, Tyson.

I use ForeFlight on my 2nd Gen iPod Touch and have had minimal problems with it. I do have the occasional app crash, but I attribute that to the fact that I chose to download the VFR and IFR charts and approach plates for the entire country (pure speculation that this is the cause). It is fast for me to use in the plane when plotting routes and looking at the VFR sectionals. When I'm on WiFi it's fast for me to get the weather radar, satellite images, and everything else it does. I wish that the iPod Touch had a GPS, but even without, I think FF is a good value because I don't have to buy and haul around the paper charts. I can use pilotage to figure out where I am. I flew over 400nm round trip this weekend and was always able to find myself on the FF charts without an issue.

I think it's a great app, and I plan to renew my subscription when it comes due at the end of the year.

BTW - Tyson, great to see you on here. Thanks for piping in.

billwil said:

That is what I do when I travel out of the country to assure I have no data roaming or calls, but still want to use the GPS for certain apps such as the TomTom app. No data required but you need the GPS.

I use ForeFlight on my 2nd Gen iPod Touch and have had minimal problems with it. I do have the occasional app crash, but I attribute that to the fact that I chose to download the VFR and IFR charts and approach plates for the entire country (pure speculation that this is the cause). It is fast for me to use in the plane when plotting routes and looking at the VFR sectionals. When I'm on WiFi it's fast for me to get the weather radar, satellite images, and everything else it does. I wish that the iPod Touch had a GPS, but even without, I think FF is a good value because I don't have to buy and haul around the paper charts. I can use pilotage to figure out where I am. I flew over 400nm round trip this weekend and was always able to find myself on the FF charts without an issue.

I think it's a great app, and I plan to renew my subscription when it comes due at the end of the year.

BTW - Tyson, great to see you on here. Thanks for piping in.
PJ and I went looking for the Android version of FF when he was here in Chicago, only to find that there isn't one, except for weather! I dropped a note to FF yesterday, and Eric responded saying that they are "actively evaluating the Android market." Hopefully they'll decide that the market is there! All I can say is that I saw at least 6 Droids at the Wings FlyBQ this month, and only 1 iPad. Of course, the iPad got passed around, and would definitely make a better platform for plates due to its screen real estate. It'll be interesting to see the forthcoming Android-based pads!

PJ and I went looking for the Android version of FF when he was here in Chicago, only to find that there isn't one, except for weather! I dropped a note to FF yesterday, and Eric responded saying that they are "actively evaluating the Android market." Hopefully they'll decide that the market is there! All I can say is that I saw at least 6 Droids at the Wings FlyBQ this month, and only 1 iPad. Of course, the iPad got passed around, and would definitely make a better platform for plates due to its screen real estate. It'll be interesting to see the forthcoming Android-based pads!

There were TWO iPads at the FlyBQ. (Mine, and Andrew Stanley's.) I don't think Andrew has ForeFlight though.

However, there were plenty of iPhones, and ForeFlight runs on those too - But yeah, with the iPad's screen, ForeFlight is just awesome. I only use it on the phone when the iPad isn't within reach, for the most part.

I'll post some screen shots once 3.5 comes out. I can't yet 'cuz I'm a beta tester and under NDA. The work that the team is doing is just awesome. :yes:

I'm waiting for the iPimp to weigh in on this discussion.

Kent must not be awake yet.:D

Heh... No, I've been running my butt off for a week, and spending my few free moments working on beta testing ForeFlight 3.5, so I haven't been on PoA at all.

I've never personally owned an iPhone 3G (I bought the original iPhone the first week it was available, and upgraded to the 3GS in September) so I don't really know how well (or not?) ForeFlight works on it. However, I did use ForeFlight on my original iPhone with generally good results, so it surprises me that the 3G has issues. However, that was also an older version of ForeFlight - ForeFlight 3 didn't come out until December, so I would have been using a 2.x version on the older iPhone and have never used a 3.x version of ForeFlight on anything less than the iPhone 3GS.

Like any software, as time goes on and features are added, it takes additional resources. I've never heard of anyone having such a time as the OP did, so nuking the phone and starting from scratch might be a good idea in that case. Adding things over time should help to determine the culprit(s) as well.

Looking at the newer hardware, though... ForeFlight on the iPad is just flat-out freaking awesome. FlyBQers saw 3.4 on my iPad, 3.5 will be even better (darn NDA! Augh! :redface:). It will not be long before I find myself wondering what I ever did without it.

I do know that after seeing the AvWeb video on some tablet device they were talking about just a couple of weeks ago, I literally laughed. ForeFlight on the iPad makes whatever that thing was look like it's from the 80's. :D

Two problems:

1) Turning on Airplane Mode disables the GPS.

2) Maps, and many other applications, depend on an internet connection to download the maps themselves. ForeFlight allows you to select various types of charts (IAP's, enroutes, sectionals, etc) to download prior to flight and store on the device. That's why ForeFlight will work in the air, and Maps will not.

No, the GPS does not stop working when out of cell range.

*HOWEVER.* Due to the way the iPhone (and all such devices') GPS works, you must get your initial position when you are within cell range. So, for example, you need to fire up ForeFlight on the ground. If you don't grab your location before leaving the ground, you most likely won't be able to pick up your position. (It does happen, but it's very sporadic.)

Also, DO NOT turn on Airplane Mode - That disables the GPS (which lives on the same chip as the 3G cell circuitry).

I also had an issue on the FlyBQ trip where it lost my exact position, seemed to jump around cell towers, and then just lost the location entirely, and it didn't come back on the ground. It wasn't working most of the time I was in Philly. Then, I noticed that the Maps application also wasn't able to find me (this was on the ground). I rebooted the device, and everything was happy again.

This is NOT going to be a device that you put in an AirGizmo type dock on your panel. The iPad and ForeFlight are best used, IMHO, as a way to eliminate a lot of paper from the cockpit (sectionals, approach plates, enroutes, A/FD's, etc.), but should not be thought of as a primary moving map device. Yes, it will normally work that way, but it's not a purpose-built GPS device and as such should not be relied upon for primary navigation purposes. That's what your eyes are for.

FWIW, I do think it's reliable enough to replace most paper info sources. I'll fly with expired sectionals/enroutes for a backup, print plates for the destination/alternate if flying in hard IFR to back up the plates, and use the airport data on the G430. The GPS is only 1% of what ForeFlight can do, and is not what I bought ForeFlight and the iPad for. The 1% can be a little flaky, but the 99% that is ForeFlight's main functionality is really impressive.

Edit: Anyone who wants to see ForeFlight in action at Gaston's, I will happily fly your airplane around while you play with the iPad. :D

Last edited:
AFAIK the current versions of Foreflight don't use the GPS at all. Newer ones I'm sure will.

Current version of ForeFlight will use the GPS if it's on (ie Airplane Mode is off). It'll put a blue dot on the sectional or enroute charts. It will not show your position on the approach plates - Take a look at ForeFlight's web site for a recent test flight they did which explains why. It will put the blue dot on the weather maps as well.

Also, you can use the GPS to find the closest airports, or the closest airports that report weather.

Current version of ForeFlight will use the GPS if it's on (ie Airplane Mode is off). It'll put a blue dot on the sectional or enroute charts. It will not show your position on the approach plates - Take a look at ForeFlight's web site for a recent test flight they did which explains why. It will put the blue dot on the weather maps as well.

Also, you can use the GPS to find the closest airports, or the closest airports that report weather.
Ah okay - i haven't messed with it for awhile and last time I did I didn't go too far in depth. I'll probably purchase ForeFlight when I get a phone/iPad that'll run it better. It's just not the best experience on my 3G.

Back