ForeFlight or Jeppesen MFD/VFR?

Which Mobile Flight Program is Best for the VFR pilot?

• Jeppesen Mobile Flight Deck VFR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ForeFlight

Votes: 47 85.5%
  • Another Program

Votes: 8 14.5%

• Total voters
I went from an ipad 1 to an ipad mini, also. What a difference in speed.
To be fair, the reason for that is the upgrade from the older A4 or A5 chip to the A7 chip, not the size of the unit. The mini is no faster than the full-size units with the same A7 chip in the new ("new" meaning earlier this year) Retina minis.

Foreflight has gotten to the point where the original ipad is sluggish. IIRC, they are no longer supporting it with upgraded software.
That's to be expected. The standard for Apple products is backward compatibility for only two generations, and the original iPad with the A4 chip is now three generations behind. You can't expect ForeFlight to keep limiting the capabilities of the program based on an obsolescent chip. At the same time, if you stopped loading updates at version 5.1 or so, and are OK with not having any more capability than that, it will still run fairly well on an original A4 unit.

Personally, I like the mini b/c it fits the yoke perfectly in my mooney.
I don't put mine on the yoke or any other mount, but the mini's size is way, way more convenient in the cockpit than the original "large" size units of any generation. And Apple's effort to reduce the margins around the display area has resulted in a much smaller reduction in the size of the display area than in the size of the overall unit. I've never been a real fan of Apple (and that goes back over thirty years), but I think they really got this one right.

Back