ForeFlight on iOS 9er: PIREPS?

petrolero

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
petrolero
Any show stopper defects?

Anything you especially like? I've been curious about the side-by-side feature.

Anyway.. PIREPs?

So far, so good. Can't point to any huge benefit, although I do like the ability to peek at another app while in another.

Seems to be ok on the new iPad Mini 4, but that came out of the box with 9.0 already in it.

Foreflight also still runs fine on my iPhone 6 with iOS 8.4.1, and the old iPad 2 with 7.1.2. I see no reason to "upgrade" those that outweighs the risk of bricking those devices.

Everything works fine for me in 9.0 and 9.0.1. I like being able to stay in an app and check my email at the same time.

So far, so good...:yes: I've been playing with it and haven't had any problems...:goofy:I haven't flown with it yet so :dunno:

Good to hear! The upgrade keeps popping up, but I'm reticent to go ahead until I know how it affects foreflight. Sounds like not much to fear. :)

Did fore flight approve the iOS update? I thought I saw something on their web site or email telling people to wait?

I just got an Ipad mini a couple of months ago. Its my first Apple product. Seems like there's an awful lot of updates. Is this normal? I got it specifically for Foreflight.

Did fore flight approve the iOS update? I thought I saw something on their web site or email telling people to wait?

Firelight had an update that addressed iOS 9.0 compatibility, and that wasn't even Firelight's most recent update.

I just got an Ipad mini a couple of months ago. Its my first Apple product. Seems like there's an awful lot of updates. Is this normal? I got it specifically for Foreflight.

Yes, pretty normal. You get a big flood of updates just before and after a new iOS release comes out.

Be thankful. In the olden days we just had to live with bugs indefinitely!

I went ahead and upgraded to iOS 9. I have a flight coming up this weekend and I'll advise on any problems, but it sounds like this one is... <not gonna jinx it>

I have about half a hundred ways to back up FF.

My ancient Ipad 2 is on IOS 8.something (whatever is latest) and it is frustratingly slow.
I'd love to hear a pirep from someone else that has upgraded one of these to 9.?

I'd hate to be the first, but it may come to either that or buying a new one. I was ready to do that, but then at the announcement they didn't announce a new "maxipad". I like the size of mine better than the mini, but I wouldn't want the new PRO monster in the cockpit.

My ancient Ipad 2 is on IOS 8.something (whatever is latest) and it is frustratingly slow.
I'd love to hear a pirep from someone else that has upgraded one of these to 9.?
Me too. My iPad 2 stil hums along happily on 7.1.2. Until someone convinces me that a newer version won't brick it, it will stay there.

I'd hate to be the first, but it may come to either that or buying a new one.
I bought a new Mini 4, which is lighter and easier to haul along on the road. I had to spend a couple of hours with Apple Support Chat the night I bought it because of an iCloud issue with 9.0, but that has now been addressed with 9.0.1. I still use the full-size iPad 2 at home, though.

Whatever additional functionality the new model has (aside from more storage capacity) is irrelevant to me.

Apple is generally known for being "slow to update" for even significant security bugs.

What you're seeing is an industry wide behavior of "continuous deployment" of generally buggy and poorly tested software, because the ubiquitous always-on network allows such behavior. Not really just an Apple thing.

Multiply the problem if you've installed say, 100 Apps on an iOS device. You'll be needing to update it daily... which... Apple has recognized and made an option in the settings. Apps will happily auto-update nearly constantly if you let them.

If you have two or three iOS devices, one tactic is to allow one to auto-update, sync it to iTunes and let iTunes sync shove all those constantly updating Apps onto the other devices via the local LAN instead of all three devices going all the way to Apple. Or forcing iTunes to do the App updates completely, and then sync the devices, but there's no automation of that on iTunes yet. You can only trigger iTunes to download automatically upon new App purchase. Not updates.

Many folks also recommend not updating Apps like Foreflight right before a flight in case of problems with a release. I haven't run into any significant problems with this, but I do tell one iPad not to auto-update anything.

Keep in mind also that Foreflight maps and data is updated both on the standard release schedule of FAA and also updated if there are any errors found in the data. Those added on to the iOS, App, and Foreflight updates themselves, means that owning three or more iOS devices can turn into a part-time job to update them, if you don't leverage the automation.

The one I really want but probably will never see, is automated background Foreflight updates. I have unlimited cell data as well as the iPads are almost always sitting in coverage of either my office or home WiFi all day long, and it's a total PITA to have to remember to fire up ForeFlight to update charts on multiple devices. I usually end up doing it in a "batch session" where all three devices are sitting on the desk doing updates at the same time.

As an aside to that, it's really stupid to download that data three times. It'd be great if one device has the newer data and they're all sitting on the same LAN subnet, that they could simply "share" the data, similar to the "LAN sync" behavior of something like Dropbox.

Anyway... That's the fun of updates. LOL. The usefulness of Foreflight makes it worth putting up with relatively "dumb" computers that aren't programmed to keep themselves updated, instead of making a human operator do it. I'd happily turn on FULL automation of updates from iOS, to Apps, to App data and just ignore it and live with the relatively rare fallout of an error once in a while (of course, in IT we also have this concept of a "clean roll-back" which nothing currently being coded bothers with these days and would fix that problem...) rather than be a slave to poking at three devices to get them to stay current on everything.

Seems like we created computers to do repetitive and menial tasks, instead of creating more of them, eh? LOL. ;)

I logged about 3.4 hours with it yesterday with the 9.01 version and the most recent F-flight on an Ipad Air. Had no problems. Liking some of the new features FF is adding! Keep it up guys!

After about 3 hours, no issues. Smooth on an older iPad mini retina.

I flew with FF on an iPad Air 2 with iOS 9.0.2 for nearly 8 hours this weekend with a Stratus 2. Overall it worked great. I used most of the major features of FF including W&B. I used ADS-B radar quite a bit and the local radar seemed pretty accurate based on what I saw out the window as I used it as a guide while penetrating some areas of light rain. Nothing was broken as far as I detected.

However, I noticed quite a bit of slowness in the weather section of the Airports section, especially TAFs, mostly on the ground. This happened on multiple Wi-Fi connections and also via LTE. I tapped on a new airport in my Favorites list and then would tap TAF and it would spend up to a full minute saying "Finding current TAF..."

But if I went to the map and tapped on an airport and then went to More...Details...Forecast it seemed to display the TAF data instantly.

But other than that odd behavior, I noticed no other problems.

Back