ForeFlight - Now has Grand Canyon

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
Just FYI, I recently noticed that FF has added the Grand Canyon Special Flight Rules area map. This must be a new addition as I have not seen it before.

Is it found in the documents section?

Excellent news! I can now finally put away the only remaining paper sectional that I use.

Never flying in that area I never knew it didn't pop up and it's surprising since the TACs always have when you zoom in.

I wonder what the difference was/is?

Just checked it out. I really don't like the level of zoom required to get the SFR chart. It would be nice if it would pop up sooner.

Last edited:
Just checked it out. I really don't like the level of zoom required to get the SFR chart. It would be nice if it would pop up sooner.

Will work to have that come up at a lower zoom level soon.

Never flying in that area I never knew it didn't pop up and it's surprising since the TACs always have when you zoom in.

I wonder what the difference was/is?

It's not really a TAC, more of a special operations area. FAA made the chart once in 2001 and haven't updated it since, so there was never a PDF version of it until recently.

Will work to have that come up at a lower zoom level soon.

Keep in mind that since it hasn't been updated since 2001, you'll want to be able to zoom close enough to still read the sectional before switching.

Keep in mind that since it hasn't been updated since 2001, you'll want to be able to zoom close enough to still read the sectional before switching.

Would it be possible to have a "tap to activate" function for this chart?

FAA made the chart once in 2001 and haven't updated it since, so there was never a PDF version of it until recently.
'Glad it's finally there. It will really help first-time fliers get around in that area and eliminate the fear of flying outside of the corridors.

The PDF has been available for years (chartbundle.com). I sent one to FF developers 2 years ago.

You don't get ownship position on the map, but at least it's there.

'Glad it's finally there. It will really help first-time fliers get around in that area and eliminate the fear of flying outside of the corridors.

The PDF has been available for years (chartbundle.com). I sent one to FF developers 2 years ago.

Actually we were(and still are) providing a Geo Referenced version too(GeoTIFF and formats for both iOS and Android non-aviation-specific programs). Except for the North East corner inset as I recall. Of course, now the FAA offers it as a download too.

Actually we were(and still are) providing a Geo Referenced version too(GeoTIFF and formats for both iOS and Android non-aviation-specific programs). Except for the North East corner inset as I recall. Of course, now the FAA offers it as a download too.

Who is 'we' in this context? I'm not familiar.

Back