ForeFlight - North up or Track up

I nearly tossed a CFI out of the plane for changing my 430 from North up to track up without telling me as I was going through checklist. We had a few words (in which he tried the "it's the correct way" and I pointed out that no one changes settings in my plane without talking about it first... and that I am used to & operate with North up).

Everything has to be translated into the airplane, and my airplane's compass is one of the old ones that only has N,S,E,W, and degree marks and numbers in between. It's not one of the newfangled ones with "left" and "right" on it. :wink2:

WingX party crasher here with an opinion:

Track up part of the time - it takes but a single tap to switch to north up to make it easier to read numbers off the sectional before flipping back to track up.

When it comes to reading maps I'm bimapual: I am equally bad with either orientation.

That's an interesting thought to me. When a lot of us on here were getting instruction, there were no GPSs. There were no procedures drilled in. We have been left to wing it. I never even considered that there might be a right way, or wrong way to use a moving map.

My primary instructor recommended track up and I probably did for a few years. I am not normally directionally challenged, so I can do either. Too many years with no window other than a day/night indicator with sextant and radar scope, north up works.

And let's not forget GRID navigation.

Edit: anyone for Celestial Nav in Grid?

Last edited:
I usually use north up, which included most of this last trip. I did try track up for part of it and found that it wasn't that hard to get used to and saw some benefit to using it. I think I'll stick with north up for the majority of my flying, however since it's what I'm used to.

I usually use track up. But will flip to north-up if I'm having a "where the ()&@#$ am I" orientation brain fart.

I usually use track up. But will flip to north-up if I'm having a "where the ()&@#$ am I" orientation brain fart.

Great comment.

I wonder if FF has a quick way to switch orientations, without having to go through the menus. Will have to check on that...

Airplane to ATC: I think I am lost.
ATC to Airplane: Where were you when you last KNEW where you were.
Airplane to ATC: When I was on the runway just before taking off.
I be track up. I reset the Garmin 420 in the trainer helicopter to track up for my solo cross country because I was having a terrible time orienting myself. Left it that way. Apparently, it is now the preferred setting since it has not changed in 3 years.
It's what you get used to and no one way is the right way. And I still carry paper.

Great comment.

I wonder if FF has a quick way to switch orientations, without having to go through the menus. Will have to check on that...

I believe there is a compass marker in the upper right corner of the map screen, only shows when you are moving. Just touch it and the North/track orientation should change.

Does not show at GS=0, there is no "track" to align to.

should have had a poll in this thread. I'm guessing it would be close to 50/50

Airplane to ATC: I think I am lost.
ATC to Airplane: Where were you when you last KNEW where you were.
Airplane to ATC: When I was on the runway just before taking off.
I be track up. I reset the Garmin 420 in the trainer helicopter to track up for my solo cross country because I was having a terrible time orienting myself. Left it that way. Apparently, it is now the preferred setting since it has not changed in 3 years.
It's what you get used to and no one way is the right way. And I still carry paper.

Or nobody else can figure out how to change it back. :D

Back