Foreflight news update & Version 5.5.2 now available

Thanks,you gotta love Apple,how much money is enough.

Technology has always advanced leaving the old stuff outdated and unable to run the newest programs, this isn't anything new and far from being just an Apple thing.

Don't like it then buy paper charts again and update those every 6 months.

Technology has always advanced leaving the old stuff outdated and unable to run the newest programs, this isn't anything new and far from being just an Apple thing.

Yeah, but 15 years ago, if you would've tried to sell me something for nearly $1,000 that I'd be throwing away 30 months later, I would've told you to take a hike.

But that's where we're at.

Technology is a wonderful thing. Eh?

BTW...way back in the '80's the auto makers found that the public was growing wise to "forced obsolescence" and had to quit designing it into their products. I only hope that we can teach technology peddlers the same lesson.

Unfortunately, kids that grew up with tech toys that were regularly upgraded every year or so will probably never understand the concept of durable goods.

If I want to upgrade every year or two, fine. But I shouldn't be forced to.

Last edited:
If I want to upgrade every year or two, fine. But I shouldn't be forced to.

No one is forcing you to. You can continue on with the iPad I and the software that ran on it, if that's your wish. The bottom line is supply and demand.

The iPad is coming up on its 4th birthday so it's four year old technology. Think of what smartphone you were using four years ago and how well it would serve today. You have to view it as disposable technology, especially when you look at how fast and far the app developers are pushing the feature sets.

This is not caused by technology. It's a conscious decision by computer biz companies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup. Changing programming languages has kept a significant percentage of coders in jobs forever. The coders that re-write bubble sorts by hand every time they need one. Heh.

This is not caused by technology. It's a conscious decision by computer biz companies.

I'm guessing you'd be fat and happy with a Pentium 486 running Windows 95 then. :lol:

Or dial-up.

Technology improves, that's what it does, Moore's law and such. It's not some sinister plan by the tech companies to screw you out of money. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing you'd be fat and happy with a Pentium 486 running Windows 95 then. :lol:

Or dial-up.

Technology improves, that's what it does, Moore's law and such. It's not some sinister plan by the tech companies to screw you out of money. :rolleyes:

Sorry not going to bite. I was happy with those things. And did almost as much in actual work with those as with modern components.

I've seen quad-core i7 processors and faster, brought to their knees by today's crap code. If code were as tight as it was when I started in computers, these machines would scream. The reality is, most folks code is junk, and the compiler does it's best to make it better. When you need 2 GB of RAM just to keep the OS from swapping, that's junk code.

Java is particularly heinous, and yet incredibly popular. Especially server-side. It makes the coder's life easier. If it doesn't run well the answer is always to buy newer hardware. Good coders require lots of time to optimize things and that time is better spent elsewhere.

It's not a conspiracy at all. But it is a decision flatly made by everyone in the IT biz. Hardware is cheap because everyone needs newer hardware to keep up with sloppy code, which can run better with faster hardware. It's an infinite feedback loop.

The only thing that keeps that loop going is that people accept it. They also don't bother benchmarking or measuring for comparison.

I'm glad that people are recognizing this as an Apple issue and not a Foreflight issue.

Having spent the middle and most productive years of my career in many different positions within a software development company, I realize the frustration and challenges dealt to the software developer by the OpSys people.

That said, Apple's OpSys' seem to be more short lived than the various versions of DOS, OS/2, Windows, VMS, and many UNIX dialects that we dealt with in the "good ol' days."

:rofl:
Sorry not going to bite. I was happy with those things. And did almost as much in actual work with those as with modern components.

I've seen quad-core i7 processors and faster, brought to their knees by today's crap code. If code were as tight as it was when I started in computers, these machines would scream. The reality is, most folks code is junk, and the compiler does it's best to make it better. When you need 2 GB of RAM just to keep the OS from swapping, that's junk code.

Java is particularly heinous, and yet incredibly popular. Especially server-side. It makes the coder's life easier. If it doesn't run well the answer is always to buy newer hardware. Good coders require lots of time to optimize things and that time is better spent elsewhere.

It's not a conspiracy at all. But it is a decision flatly made by everyone in the IT biz. Hardware is cheap because everyone needs newer hardware to keep up with sloppy code, which can run better with faster hardware. It's an infinite feedback loop.

The only thing that keeps that loop going is that people accept it. They also don't bother benchmarking or measuring for comparison.

Yes, computer technology has indeed changed a little bit since I started in 1974. I did some peripheral interfacing with assembler on a DEC PDP8. Much of the interfacing was accomplished by digital logic design, building an interface circuit board to accomplish an electrical connection. It was a 12 bit machine with 4K of CORE memory. The memory cost $8,000 as I recall. When it gave trouble, they actually repaired it.

Code was done in 144 instruction pages. The machine was booted by toggling in octal coded instructions and then start. It was quite a little cup of coffee project to boot the machine in the morning. I have found that most people that are very much younger than myself don't realize that this is where the term "boot" came from. You were keying in the instructions to get it started, sort of like pulling yourself up by your bootstraps.

With 4K of 12 bit wide memory, it goes without saying that the number one constraint was making things work efficiently within memory. You tried to minimize the number of times that you would reload memory. If you did it too much, it spent all it's time loading memory instead of processing data. We called this thrashing mode.

Would someone please hand me my walker?:D

Back