ForeFlight Moving Map

Bman.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bman.
Quick question for those using ForeFlight - how often and what are the cases have you lost moving map? In the Midwest between SFC and 6500, I've never lost moving map. I have lost radar (indicated by the hatch).

It's my understanding that moving map is based solely on GPS (no ground reference) so I am not sure under what conditions one wouldn't be receiving GPS reception - perhaps heavy clouds or any other obstacles that prevent 4 satellite reception?

The reason I ask is because I am considering a Stratus 2. While I always keep a current AFD and sectional in the side pocket, it sure would be nice to see some traffic, keep the moving map intact with an external GPS reception and have AHRS.

For now, fresh out of the PPL gate, I am a fair weather flier so it's not too critical but I don't want to be caught off guard.

Benjamin

GPS can be interfered with rather easily, either by government tests (with NOTAMs covering wide areas) or by idiots with jammers. To a lesser (but rather significant) extent by aluminum aircraft skin.

The moving map itself can be lost by batteries draining, sunlight, bugs, or user errors.

Your batteries will drain faster with the WiFi running than without.

Stratus 2/Foreflight saved my bacon last night when some idiot was tooling around in the dark without any lights on. (Saw his only weak-ass tail beacon as he passed about 1/2 a mile off my left side about 400ft below me.) I even had his tail number on the moving map.

As to battery life, I use a full size iPad 2. If you put it in airplane mode and then turn the wireless back on (leaving the bluetooth and cellular transceiver off) the battery lasts longer than the plane will fly on a full tank. You need the wifi on to receive data from the Stratus unit. I also have a solar charger/battery that I can put in my window that prolongs the battery life on the ipad even further. The Stratus 2 will run for a long damn time on a single charge.

I use a Dual XGPS 150 GPS receiver over Bluetooth on my iPad. I've found the GPS drops out if I put the GPS "Hockey Puck" too close to the center radio stack. I keep it way to the left of the glare shield on the C172 and it works fine. Haven't had any GPS signal loss since I started doing this.

I've flown all over the northeast for the past 4 years using Foreflight as my on board navigation equipment and never lost the moving map. At times, the program loses my location( only maybe once) and one time the iPad got too hot and needed to be shut down and cooled off( it was 98 degrees that day.)

The biggest issue you will run into is the battery life on the IPad. I can make it about 2.7 on the Hobbs comfortably before reaching about 40% on the iPad mini I own. They sell a simple charger plug that can be used through the cigarette lighter of the plane( if the plane you fly has a lighter) and then the battery problem is solved too.

Foreflight is probably the best investment a pilot can make besides good training and a safe airplane.

Beware charging using an old rental's power. I lost my previous tablet that way. I suspect the aircraft had a blown rectifier diode. The tablet went dark the instant I plugged it in and never recovered.

I don't particularly care for the extra cable draped around the cabin, either.

I've been using Foreflight and Stratus 2 for over 600 hours or so and can't recall a single time losing the moving map/location. Of course if you turn the Ipad screen off (which I do most of the time) it takes a second or two to update once its back on. The Stratus 2 is a great investment!

I've got one of the Dual GPS receivers and it's great. Never had a problem, I stick it on the far left side of the glareshield.

Plus, if you're worried about battery life, and don't mind having another gadget in the cockpit, grab an Anker battery. They are ALWAYS on some sort of sale on Amazon, and you can get them super cheap now.I have one that holds, I think, 4 full iPhone charges and maybe 2 full iPad charges. Here's the one I have, it's $25 - http://amzn.com/B00N2T7U90

I also follow Kinja Deals, you can check their website, or follow them on Twitter, they post daily deals for electronic stuff, kitchen stuff, etc, and that's how I know these things are on sale monthly or even more often. I got a deal where I got the big one for a discount, and a free lipstick-size one that holds 1 phone charge for free.

I have never lost the moving map,have flown from the east coast up to AK. Have the stratus 2 ,can't go wrong,my aircraft has a Garmin 430,530, and I still prefer the foreflight stratus combo.

And your location on the map which is constantly changing is what makes it a moving map.
If you're in VMC, you really should be able to locate yourself by landmarks. That's real basic airmanship. If you can't see the ground, you have VORs at your disposal, with some more work.

A moving map is not essential equipment. Or it dang well shouldn't be. A chart of one form or another is rather important.

MAKG1, oh I agree. The point I was trying to make is this. The OP mentioned losing "moving map" when GPS drops off and the post I replied to was trying to make a point that you do not lose the map, just your position. While this is true, when you lose own ship position you lose what makes it a "moving" map. Otherwise it is basically merely an electronic version of the sectional.

MAKG1, oh I agree. The point I was trying to make is this. The OP mentioned losing "moving map" when GPS drops off and the post I replied to was trying to make a point that you do not lose the map, just your position. While this is true, when you lose own ship position you lose what makes it a "moving" map. Otherwise it is basically merely an electronic version of the sectional.

I couldn't agree more! Being somewhat of a cartographer (ok... not really by the hobby or career sense) the sectional chart is pretty much a work of art. I don't know of any other chart or map that so full of useful information. People kind of look at me funny when I say "let's look at this sectional!" while grabbing a bite to eat at the office.

I've been using Foreflight and Stratus 2 for over 600 hours or so and can't recall a single time losing the moving map/location. Of course if you turn the Ipad screen off (which I do most of the time) it takes a second or two to update once its back on. The Stratus 2 is a great investment!

I agree 100% Foreflight & Stratus 2 is a great investment.
I was flying with a G1000 panel for a couple of years but circumstances meant I had to change planes and go back to steam panel, I was pretty depressed at the losing my glass gizmo, but I have to say after flying with FF & the Stratus for the last 12 months I'm happy enough with the features I have available.

Back