Foreflight looping radar OTS

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
I notice the looping radar on Foreflight no longer worked, so I contacted the help desk and found out the NWS has discontinued that service. They say they are looking onto alternative products to provide this information.

I looked on the NWS page itself, and yes, it seems as of 12/22/2020 the service was discontinued. My google fu has been weak and I've thus far not found a comparable service.

I notice the looping radar on Foreflight no longer worked, so I contacted the help desk and found out the NWS has discontinued that service. They say they are looking onto alternative products to provide this information.

I looked on the NWS page itself, and yes, it seems as of 12/22/2020 the service was discontinued. My google fu has been weak and I've thus far not found a comparable service.

Looks like one can get a national representation of the looping radar:

https://radar.weather.gov/?settings...W51Ijp0cnVlLCJzaG9ydEZ1c2VkT25seSI6ZmFsc2V9#/

It’s off Garmin Pilot as well. Seems like an odd thing to discontinue without a viable replacement.

Remember earlier this year they discontinued the extended ceiling and vis forecasts. The replacements go out 18hrs, the older product went out for six days I believe, and along with the progs, gave valuable long range weather planning information. Oh well.

I beg your pardon, but do you mean in the iThing app, or their planning page? I just checked both and they seem to be working for me.

Consider windy.com- I use this where Foreflight doesn't show radar.

I beg your pardon, but do you mean in the iThing app, or their planning page? I just checked both and they seem to be working for me.

Consider windy.com- I use this where Foreflight doesn't show radar.

iThing app

It won’t show on any EFB app but the best radar products by far are from RadarScope. It is what the meteorologists use on their iPhones and really cheap for basic data.

It won’t show on any EFB app but the best radar products by far are from RadarScope. It is what the meteorologists use on their iPhones and really cheap for basic data.
I’ve had it for several years. Like most apps, it used to be better before they updated it to make it ‘better’.

NWS recently revamped their radar websites and information leading to a LOT of complaints. They claim the new system is better, and oh, by the way, they say they can't revert to the old system because it "uses flash". About the same time they were proposing to limit connections....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/12/21/nws-new-radar-website-slow/

I have to agree with them on the Adobe Flash thing. It should be summarily executed in the public square anywhere it’s found hiding.

LOL

Even Adobe agrees.

Shoot it until it stops moving then shoot it again.

Back