ForeFlight Issues in Flight After Upgrade

SportPilotCO

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CarlH
So,
I don't usually use FF in flight. I use it extensively for flight planning and in the FBO between legs to double check things on the rest of my route. I have a Garmin 796 with ADSB in, so I get weather that way.
I flew from Colorado to OSH for the show this past week. I stupidly upgraded to the latest version of FF last week. I noticed that it worked fine on the ground before I departed. I used it in flight as a backup and to see how I liked using it to fly with on a kneeboard. I noticed it locking up on the FF map screen and not updating my ownship track, nor anything else on the map. I couldn't zoom in or out or do anything else with the app. I had to quit and relaunch. It was quite warm this past week along my track. I thought this could have been an issue, but the rest of the iPad and all of my other apps worked fine. FF continues to work fine on the ground. I also have FF loaded on my iPhone. I did note that the auto-synch feature between the two works before it locks up. I almost wondered if this synching was causing issues in the air?

Anyone else seeing issues in flight with the latest version of FF?

Thanks
Carl

It actually seemed a little buggy for me too this past week. Definitely had it lose the Stratus twice, and crash a couple of times. Highly unusual for ForeFlight.

Even tho your other apps may be fine, keep in mind that FF seriously taxes the power & resources on the iPad. Two hours in the air connected to a Stratus 2 is enough to take my iPad Mini 3 from a full charge to 50% (whereas normally it's 5 hours from full to 50%). I would imagine warm conditions in the plane wouldn't help matters either as there is no fan or any type of active cooling for the iPad built-in.

My flight last Monday.....

Received vectors and FF never figured it out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 31
Back