ForeFlight iPad Notice

Even Avare, which is completely free, has a minimum required Android version (4.0, from 2011).

Come to the dark side, Luke...

Well that's a bummer. I still use my Ipad 4, which I last used with Foreflight in 2016, and I bought it... 2013 maybe? Ten years old. Still works perfectly great, for those things it works perfectly great with. The biggest issue is the OS can't be upgraded anymore, and Safari is starting to have compatibility issues with certain sites.

I just wish they would take the out of service VORs off the charts (paper and electronic)
here's a thought...if they take all the VORs off the sectionals, then what are pilots going to use for a local variation compass rose when they lay their plotters on the chart?
....oh wait, what's a plotter?

Can anyone recommend an EFB I can run on my Timex Sinclair 1000?

I'm still rocking the mini4. Will do so until its last breath. after that, I don't know what I will do. currently getting the Dynon HDX installed in my plane. Not sure I will need FF after that.. still might be a good back up if things go south. I may just use it only on my phone at that point. Sending flt plans from FF to the panel will still be nice. I do like FF for flight planning

I spent a lot of time with my older FF because I couldn't upgrade to the latest because Apple stopped ios updates for the ancient one. Amusingly, I had a more modern iPhone and put Foreflight on that. Surprised the hell out of me when I was on a commercial flight and it announced we were about to enter the runway (oops, didn't know it did that).

I spent a lot of time with my older FF because I couldn't upgrade to the latest because Apple stopped ios updates for the ancient one. Amusingly, I had a more modern iPhone and put Foreflight on that. Surprised the hell out of me when I was on a commercial flight and it announced we were about to enter the runway (oops, didn't know it did that).
More fun is to watch the look on somebody's face when it announces 500 feet altitude on the approach.

What??? You need to get a Commodore 64 with dual floppy drives! :drool:
At one time you could get a Commadore 64 case and keyboard with a modern processor and ram. I forget if it was a 386 or 486 CPU.
Still the external drives, but I think they put USB ports into the back for connections. I always thought of getting one for nostalgia. My first computer was a C-64

Having retired from a long career in the software industry, I find the OP’s dilemma almost humorous. When it comes to technology obsolescence, things haven't changed in fifty years.

Had we not moved forward, we would not have obsoleted the 12 bit wide, 4K RAM minicomputer that I did development using machine language using 110 baud modem with a 6 MByte hard drive and thinking how fast it was. i suppose that if we had not moved forward, then we would have never had to consider it obsolete.

When the PC and DOS came along, it was AMAZING! In the beginning we had 512K running at 4 MHz and a 10 MByte hard drive.

VMS and all the UNIX dialects provided technology that was beyond belief.

I remember how I responded when someone put a requisition in front of me to sign so that she could purchase a 1 G Byte hard drive. It was an unbelievable milestone. Now I have an IPad and IPhone both with 256 GByte semiconductor memory probably 32 or 64 bits wide. I hold them in my hand and wonder if there can even be that many molecules In the tiny thing.

Sorry OP, but obsolescence is the price of technology progress.

10 MByte hard drive
My first 10MB HDD was the size of 2 1/2 bricks and weighed like 30lbs. Now we have 4TB solid state drives the size of your finger!

My first 10MB HDD was the size of 2 1/2 bricks and weighed like 30lbs. Now we have 4TB solid state drives the size of your finger!

My first IT job (1989) involved hard drives that were 200MB and the size of washing machines. And in the PC market, longevity was a couple years, not seven or eight.

Can someone explain what is the benefit of the latest EFB over the original ForeFlight to the Day VFR recreational pilot? Technology changes for the sake of change sometimes benefits only the producer of said technology.

Cheers

Can someone explain what is the benefit of the latest EFB over the original ForeFlight to the Day VFR recreational pilot? Technology changes for the sake of change sometimes benefits only the producer of said technology.
Man, people will complain about anything. We have these miracles on our laps that cost *less* than paper charts and people are still whining about The Man keeping them down.

Basic FF is $120 a year, or $840 for seven years.
An iPad mini is $500 for seven years.
Combined, they are $1340.

VFR paper charts are $240 a year, or 1680 for seven years.

So, even if you only use VFR charts, and don't use the iPad for anything else, it's still $340 cheaper *including the cost of the iPad*.

But, of course, no one does that. They also use IFR charts, flight planning, flight briefing, live weather, etc, etc. And they use their iPad for more that just FF, so even though the math works even if one assumes a dedicated device, the math gets even more favorable if the cost of the tablet is amortized across the various other uses it gets. These things are the best value in aviation and y'all are whining about it.

No one e er said flying was inexpensive. The basic package from FF is still a bargain.

Cheers
The original ForeFlight (of which I was an early adopter) was an in-browser app (as were all iPhone apps back then) and had very limited capabilities. If you really want to go back to the original ForeFlight, be my guest :).

For a reminder of just how far things like ForeFlight have come, read my review of the original ForeFlight (which was even picked up by the original ForeFlight crew) on my old (semi-abandoned) YAFB blog here. It's from 2008. It'll give you some idea just how far we've come…

No what he needs is a cpu with the turbo boost button...remember that?
Hahaha. My first PC, a Zenith, had a CPU boost button on the rear of the case that doubled the processor speed from 4 to 8 Mhz. With the 20mb Winchester HD I was in high cotton. It came with a program that could be loaded on the HD called Windows. I loaded it but couldn’t figure out what is was good for other than chewing up most of my free space on the HD. I dumped it thinking ”what a useless pile of code”. :D

Hahaha. My first PC, a Zenith, had a CPU boost button on the rear of the case that doubled the processor speed from 4 to 8 Mhz. With the 20mb Winchester HD I was in high cotton. It came with a program that could be loaded on the HD called Windows. I loaded it but couldn’t figure out what is was good for other than chewing up most of my free space on the HD. I dumped it thinking ”what a useless pile of code”. :D
Our first "high cotton" machine was a Packard Bell 386 with one meg of ram! Bought it second hand and was thrilled to find it had Wolfenstein 3D installed ...

Thanks for bringing me back to my childhood. My first computer was an Atari with a side cartridge slot. I had a tape drive and a 24.4k baud modem. I wanted my parents to buy me a chart plotter but never did. My neighbor had a tandy computer and me and my neighbor would sit and type in dos for hours so I could get a set of blocks the shape of a person to move. I also worked as a young adult for the Y2K project (remember that?) as well as installing Windows 98 on IBM computers. I had a RIO player that held like 10 songs (MP3) which ended up getting me fired from a job. Why you ask? Well my friend gave me a mp3 spider program that would search for mp3 via hyperlinks and put them neatly on a web page that the program created. This was around the time of Napster and those types of programs. Well I get called into the office and the management team handed me a 20p report of all the server hits that this program went to. Of course many of those were xxx sites and off I went. Man I hated that job too so I was happy to get fired.
Younger people have no idea how tech has progressed and i'm sure my son if handed a rotary phone would have no clue on how to use it. With all this comes great power and ironically, everything you ever want to know is within reach. I have to explain to these younger people (including my son) that there were things called "libraries" that held information where you had to drive to, sit and read books to get the knowledge. Which brings me to my second part of my long winded story in that there's no better time in the world history where you can literally do anything. That seems lost on some people in that they don't even think about it. I installed a sink based on a youtube video. I cook everyday by looking things up. You don't know how to change tires ..well look it up. IT's so much easier these days.

I love FF, it's ease of use and how well the program is written. I have tried to use garmin pilot a bunch of times "thanks to the garmin air watch that keeps braking so the send me a new one" and I can't do it. FF is miles ahead of GP

I have to explain to these younger people (including my son) that there were things called "libraries" that held information where you had to drive to, sit and read books to get the knowledge.
Libraries are one of those great pieces of infrastructure that would never be created today if they hadn’t already existed. Imagine pitching libraries in 2023: “You want people to be able to read books, for free?!”

Love me a good library. Little better way to spend an afternoon on a rainy day

Apple has a history of slowing down their devices to force you to upgrade
READ SETTLEMENT STORY
If you read the article, you'd know they slowed down older phones with dying batteries so that they'd keep working and not shut down. Sensible people might call that a feature, one that would allow people to use old devices longer. But attorneys went after them, so now when you're old device's battery isn't able to support the power requirements of the device, it'll just die.

If you read the article, you'd know they slowed down older phones with dying batteries so that they'd keep working and not shut down. Sensible people might call that a feature, one that would allow people to use old devices longer. But attorneys went after them, so now when you're old device's battery isn't able to support the power requirements of the device, it'll just die.
It's still a forced upgrade. They could have alerted the owners that a new battery is needed. Instead they went the "windows arthritis" route like Microsoft, where older machines slow down.

It's still a forced upgrade. They could have alerted the owners that a new battery is needed. Instead they went the "windows arthritis" route like Microsoft, where older machines slow down.
I agree that they should have been more transparent and perhaps made the throttling an option, I think that’s what they eventually did. But I’m sure that, at the time, they thought they were doing people a favor and didn’t want to unnecessarily complicate the user experience. In my view they WERE doing people a favor.

if you’ve got a many-years-old phone, you’ve got to expect that it’s going to slow down, the battery life is going to shorten, etc. But the average user is going to prefer a phone that works, albeit more slowly, over one that dies.

Back