ForeFlight gets georeferenced plates/taxi diagrams!

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
I've been refreshing the iTunes ForeFlight page all weekend waiting for this update to be available so I could share the good news!

http://blog.foreflight.com/2011/02/20/foreflight-georeferenced-approach-plates-taxi-diagrams/

I don't know how the guys worked this deal, but they're using the Seattle Avionics ChartData, and it only adds $75/year to the subscription price. So, you can get everything BUT georef for $75/year, or everything INCLUDING georef for $150/year.

The other REALLY nice new feature for those of us who fly at night - You can now dim the screen way down from within ForeFlight to save your night vision. It was a bit hard to use at night before because the iPad's minimum brightness is still too bright for night flying. Note that this does NOT change the backlight level, so it's best to lower the iPad's brightness first to maximize battery life.

Here's the new stuff in action:

The other REALLY nice new feature for those of us who fly at night - You can now dim the screen way down from within ForeFlight to save your night vision. It was a bit hard to use at night before because the iPad's minimum brightness is still too bright for night flying. Note that this does NOT change the backlight level, so it's best to lower the iPad's brightness first to maximize battery life.

I find the white on black "flip flop" quite usable for night flying.

So, I just got my iPAD yesterday, and subscribed to the full year HD version of ForeFlight. This wasn't an option; I wonder if I can upgrade by paying the difference?

Cool beans. After the airplane's out of the shop I may sign up for that!

Now we can all start the chant... XM WX, XM WX, XM WX. LOL!

I heard iPad 12 is coming. You guys are SO far behind the rumor mill!!! ;)

Now we can all start the chant... XM WX, XM WX, XM WX. LOL!

Wrong chant.

We want, we want, ADS-B!
More than XM WX has, but insteada 50 bucks a month it's free! :D

(And, BTW... No need to chant. It's coming. Call your legislators and get them to pass that FAA re-auth bill instead.)

Wrong chant.

We want, we want, ADS-B!
More than XM WX has, but insteada 50 bucks a month it's free! :D

(And, BTW... No need to chant. It's coming. Call your legislators and get them to pass that FAA re-auth bill instead.)
Well, with XMWX, you can get satellite radio (for an extra fee). Can the same be said of ADS-B IN? :)

OTOH,

with ADS-B IN, you GET traffic (free). Can the same be said of XM? :cornut:

(Buying a cheap non-aviation XM radio receiver, is pretty cost-effective!)

More to the point, if you want something that works (1) on the ground, and (2) now (everywhere), you're SOL.

It's not as if the task of programming up a weather display should be all that tough for a skilled and motivated programming team.

Well, with XMWX, you can get satellite radio (for an extra fee). Can the same be said of ADS-B IN? :)

Well, considering there are over 6,000 songs on my iPad, I don't think I need XM radio. ;)

It's not as if the task of programming up a weather display should be all that tough for a skilled and motivated programming team.

Hmmm... That sounds like a challenge! :goofy:

(I dunno what the data stream looks like, but it sounds like a formidable task to me!)

Looks like March for the iPad3, rumored October for iPad4.

http://www.ipadrumors.org/

Problem is, they're citing DigiTimes... I'm pretty sure more reliable rumors fly out of monkeys' butts than DigiTimes, they're pretty well-known for being wrong pretty much all the time. But, I'm sure they make a lot of money spouting BS and selling ads.

Back