Foreflight Fuel Price Data

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
So where does Foreflight get their fuel price data from, anyone know?

I've yet to find it accurate. Thus, the question.

Doesn't match 100LL.com, so I'm assuming it's not them. 100LL.com was right for KFMM today, Foreflight showed it lower. Not a huge amount, but enough perhaps to sucker someone into going slightly out of their way to that airport if they were planning an X-C, which seems to be the main reason to even have the data in the App.

Didn't really matter, I knew KFMM has decent fuel prices for the area. More a curiosity thing about whether ForeFlight's data comes from something relatively up-to-date, or if it's their own database. Not exactly their "core business" to keep fuel price data, I would think.

Definitely has morphed into a useless feature for me, since it's not right most of the time. Not saying 100LL.com is always right either, but I think the FF data has been wrong far more often for me than some of the other sources online.

And before anyone whines that it needs up-to-date data, I put in an update for KFMM and it said it was "accepted for review". Will be interesting to see when it actually changes in the App.

I'm going to guess no one is reviewing anything on weekends. Just a guess.

None of the fuel-price-disseminating services do much of an attempt (shown in any user-friendly way, other than perhaps in a "comment" section) to track special offers for locals, members of organizations, etc...

Oh well... just curious... haven't gotten the correct price out of FF yet, really. Especially in rural areas. It's right at my home field most of the time, but I can walk over and look at the signage for that. :)

FF price is consistent with price paid at outlying drome on Saturday. Maybe they devote more attention to more affluent and upscale areas.:rofl:

So where does Foreflight get their fuel price data from, anyone know?

I've yet to find it accurate. Thus, the question.

Doesn't match 100LL.com, so I'm assuming it's not them. 100LL.com was right for KFMM today, Foreflight showed it lower. Not a huge amount, but enough perhaps to sucker someone into going slightly out of their way to that airport if they were planning an X-C, which seems to be the main reason to even have the data in the App.

Didn't really matter, I knew KFMM has decent fuel prices for the area. More a curiosity thing about whether ForeFlight's data comes from something relatively up-to-date, or if it's their own database. Not exactly their "core business" to keep fuel price data, I would think.

Definitely has morphed into a useless feature for me, since it's not right most of the time. Not saying 100LL.com is always right either, but I think the FF data has been wrong far more often for me than some of the other sources online.

And before anyone whines that it needs up-to-date data, I put in an update for KFMM and it said it was "accepted for review". Will be interesting to see when it actually changes in the App.

I'm going to guess no one is reviewing anything on weekends. Just a guess.

None of the fuel-price-disseminating services do much of an attempt (shown in any user-friendly way, other than perhaps in a "comment" section) to track special offers for locals, members of organizations, etc...

Oh well... just curious... haven't gotten the correct price out of FF yet, really. Especially in rural areas. It's right at my home field most of the time, but I can walk over and look at the signage for that. :)

Foreflight failed me two weeks ago at KWST - ff@ 5.75 airport self serve@6.25(ish)

I am rural and have found it to be very accurate in the past year/88.4 hrs of flying. I pick an airport with a descent price then call them. I then update pricing on FF before my trip. We all then have updated pricing and know if a fuel pump is broke or they are waiting on a fuel delivery. I would not go to an airport for fuel without calling unless it is my own, a familiar one or an emergency.

I forgot to mention. FF uses the lowest amount between SS and FS fuel. We need to update both or at least make FS the same. I have noticed many don't update FS when they get SS.

FF does collect it's data from 100LL.com, but I'm not sure how or how often.
I never trust FF's fuel prices and I don't trust 100LL's prices on their website. It's almost always out of date in my area where fuel prices change weekly.

Instead, I use Airnav.com. It's much more accurate and I always pay note of the date it was updated to ensure it's recent. If I'm not sure, I call the FBO and verify before I fly. In my Aztruck, a 25 cent mistake can add up very quickly!

Foreflight failed me two weeks ago at KWST - ff@ 5.75 airport self serve@6.25(ish)
That was probably the price at Dooney's on the other side of the airport. The self-serve is always at least $0.50 more expensive. I don't understand why anyone would go to the self-serve when Dooney's is open. :dunno:

Last edited:
I've found that it's pretty important to check the date it was updated. Anything that's older than a week, you probably want to double-check. Sometimes it still won't be right, but that's because prices change and it's up to us to keep them up to date. GIGO, Nate. ;)

I've found that it's pretty important to check the date it was updated. Anything that's older than a week, you probably want to double-check. Sometimes it still won't be right, but that's because prices change and it's up to us to keep them up to date. GIGO, Nate. ;)

Never noticed a date in FF. Is it in there?

Doesn't explain the difference (in real-time) between FF and 100LL.com either.

I always assumed it was from user submitted data. There is an "Update Prices" button on the FBO page.

I enter the price every time I fill up.

Never noticed a date in FF. Is it in there?

Doesn't explain the difference (in real-time) between FF and 100LL.com either.

Tap a price on the map to bring up the "FBOs" part of the airport info. Tap on the FBO you're interested in, and a line under the prices will tell you roughly how long it's been since the last update - It'll say "Prices last updated last Tuesday" or "Prices last updated over three weeks ago" or that sort of thing. The farther back in time the update was, the lower the resolution.

I've had pretty good luck with it, but you need to recognize it is a voluntarily updated feature. With the dynamic nature of fuel prices and consumption patterns it is a wonder they're as close as they are. Airnav's feature with guaranteed accuracy is based on FBOs who've made a commitment to keeping the online price current. Not all have made that commitment.

Back