ForeFlight for iPhone and iPod

kevin47881

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Time to fly!
Received this link via e-mail and thought those of you using the iPhone or iPodmay be interested. Apparently it is available via Apples App system.

Last edited:
At the top menu bar at that page check out Foreflight checklist too.

Cool - does the Ipod Touch have networking to take advantage of all the cool data features?

Yes. It will work exactly as the iPhone when you are connected to a WiFi hotspot.

The big difference between v2.x and the new 2.1 is that you have access to some (though not all) data offline. Specifically, the A/FD and thumbnail airport diagrams. METARS, TAFS, weather imagery and filing flight plans would not be available to you when not connected to the Internet.

The price is somewhat steep. I like it myself though I wonder (post-purchase :frown2:) if it was worth the price point. But I spend more than that on one run to the wine store :p

Yah... I'm thinking about getting an IPod Touch for my next media player - though I keep hearing how people hate iTunes.

Yah... I'm thinking about getting an IPod Touch for my next media player - though I keep hearing how people hate iTunes.
I hate it, but I hate it less than any other online juke or music storefront and I've tried most of them at one time or another.

I hate it, but I hate it less than any other online juke or music storefront and I've tried most of them at one time or another.

Are you using a Mac or Windows?
The experience is different depending on the OS.

Or do you hate it because of DRM?

Are you using a Mac or Windows?
The experience is different depending on the OS.

Or do you hate it because of DRM?

Oh, Windoze, but that isn't my issue.

The iTunes interface is actually pretty good, and believe it or not the customer service is actually pretty good.

Don't worry, I drink the Apple koolaid every day (despite my Windows machine) I just think iTunes could be better. It IS better than anything else.

I have an iTouch 8gig and use ForeFlight all the time. That was a tough trigger to pull becaseu of the price. In the end, I am pleased with the program.

Maybe we should get a thread going of great iPhone/touch programs that are aviation based.

Took me several years to drink the coolaid, but they have the best overall package. That said, as soon as something better comes along I'll probably be moving on. Not an Apple fan.

I have an iTouch 8gig

No you don't. ;)

Apple should have called it that. Wait, no, that sounds even weirder. :p

I'm getting one.

What's the price of this ForeFlight app? (do they accept food stamps, ha)

No you don't. ;)

Apple should have called it that. Wait, no, that sounds even weirder. :p

:rofl:

Yes folks, it's the "iPod Touch." iTouch is just a tad on the creepy/funny side. :yes:

Seventy-five bucks according to their website. That is up from sixty-something dollars when I purchased it a few months ago.

Weird, they must have had a sale. It was $70 the day it came out.

I really wish I could get a trial version to mess with for a while. I had dinner with the developer, Tyson, at OSH last year and expressed that desire. He said "Here's the demo version" and handed me his iPhone. :rofl: Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to concentrate on it and play with it in depth. And $70 is a lot of dough.

It's only creepy if you are selling it out of the back of a windowless van while asking the girls to help you find your lost puppy. :yikes:

"It rubs the lotion on it;s skin or it gets the hose again!"

(Name that movie)

I have no complaints with the program. You will want more than just a few moments to play with it to really understand what it can do.

I have an iPhone and have downloaded a few aviation-related apps. I looked carefully at ForeFlight but decided to forego it. All of the functionality that it offered seemed to be available for free in a small suite of other apps and websites.

I ended up downloading CoPilot, MyE6B, AeroWeather, and FltPlan. I also downloaded ZuluTime, which I thought would give me instant access to the current Zulu time wherever I happened to be (since it's called Zulu Time!), but it does not do that. But it's actually a pretty cool app all by itself so I kept it. I also bookmarked NavMonster, aviation.mobi, AirNav and PIC Brief.

I haven't yet found myself looking for anything on my iPhone that I couldn't get easily from one of the above free resources.

I downloaded pilotwiz for my touch. And not the kind of pilotwiz after a 3.5hr leg, either!

Seventy-five bucks according to their website. That is up from sixty-something dollars when I purchased it a few months ago.

ForeFlight Web Site said:
We were pleased to offer active CFIs a free ForeFlight 1.0 account, but unfortunately with the native application we have no mechanism for distributing FFM2.1 free of charge. Therefore, the "free for CFI" offer is discontinued with FFM2.1.

$75 = 300 meals of Ramen noodles

Where's the love... :cryin:

I downloaded pilotwiz for my touch. And not the kind of pilotwiz after a 3.5hr leg, either!

I hadn't heard of PilotWizz. I just looked it up and downloaded it. It's pretty cool. Thanks! :)

I dunno...

It seems like I can get all that info with the free applications I have. The only thing I really don't have is a way to get good route information.

This isn't an application, but a great mobile website for aviation info: picbrief.com

$75 = 300 meals of Ramen noodles

Where's the love... :cryin:

So "No mechanism to distribute free" means that it has to cost the full $75? :dunno:

Color me skeptical. I haven't paid for an iPhone app yet.

(I know. I can see that the Apple iTunes Application store might have no way to vary application pricing. They could still offer a full to partial rebate for CFIs.)

I'm actually acquainted with Tyson - he's a friend of a friend here in Houston. I've talked to him about the CFI discount thing (ForeFlight 1.0 was a web app before the 2.0 software came out for the iPhone, and that was free for CFI's). He said that the iTunes store does not have a mechanism for them to offer discounts or promo codes, but I think he said that they were working on one. That said, I just bought the ForeFlight Checklist app ($15) for my iPod Touch and configured a 172 checklist for the planes I fly. I've not used it in the plane yet, but will soon and I'll report back here after I do.

BTW, in the latest episode of the Student Pilot Journal video podcast, Greg gives you a little tour of ForeFlight Mobile 2.0 and ForeFlight Checklist.

I'm actually acquainted with Tyson - he's a friend of a friend here in Houston.
Seems like a good guy. He picked up on my whining on the red board about lack of Alaska weather products (they had South Africa but not Alaska ;) ) and sent me an email yesterday that they have now been added to the next scheduled version release.

Huh? iTunes is great. I'm a confirmed PC user (although my first computer was an original Mac, with the double sided drive. I upgraded it myself to FatMac status with a 512k board). I wish PC stuff worked as well as Apple stuff.

Huh? iTunes is great. I'm a confirmed PC user (although my first computer was an original Mac, with the double sided drive. I upgraded it myself to FatMac status with a 512k board). I wish PC stuff worked as well as Apple stuff.

Well, the iStuff, not surprisingly, works a little better on Mac OS X than it does on Windoze. The main complaint with iTunes on Windows that I've heard is the service that does nothing but sit and wait for you to plug in an iPod isn't the most efficient beastie in the world, I guess.

Back