foreflight for boats?

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
Paging Dr. Henning...

Out of curiosity, what is the equivalent of foreflight for maritime applications? International nautical chart support a plus.

I use iNAVX on the I pad on my boat. Works great ,you buy a subscription like fore flight.

It's just been announced that PRINTED Marine Charts will be GONE by the middle of next year. On-Demand printed charts, PDF, or electronic maps will be the only venues. That should open up a similar ball of wax(competition) as has happened re aviation.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Printed_nautical_charts_going_the_way_of_the_dodo.html

HR

[EDIT] Suspicion is that no paper charts will be used on this ship:
http://blogs.defensenews.com/intercepts/2013/10/latest-pics-of-zumwalt-ddg-1000/

- - - which will eventually go down the Kennebec River and bear slightly to port when abeam the church in my photo. Of course, it'll in the middle of the channel, which I wasn't, and out around and past Fort Popham. The US Navy will have its most modern ship, ever.

HR

Attachments

• DSC05280 (3).JPG
    11.1 MB · Views: 15
  • DSC05284.JPG
    19.4 MB · Views: 13
  • DSC05274(1).JPG
    11.9 MB · Views: 9
  • DSC05270(1).JPG
    DSC05270(1).JPG
    8.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I use iNAVX on the I pad on my boat. Works great ,you buy a subscription like fore flight.
I have iNavx as we'll (I'm the Navigator on a LHD). I use it as a portable reference to carry around from meeting to meeting. It is pretty decent. Not quite as handy as FF, but the closest thing I have found. I also has a tide/current app that is very useful.

It's coming out soon, but will be named ForeFloat.

:lol:, awwww, I'm killin me.

It's coming out soon, but will be named ForeFloat.

:lol:, awwww, I'm killin me.

Will you be here all week?

rimshotjohnnyutah.jpg

Garmin 496 has marine mode, and "blue charts." One blue chart chip I have goes from Olympia to Skagway, and replaces a thousand charts.

With all those christmas lights in your plane, you still use a sextant in the boat?

I still carry one for crossings, yes, (and I have a country's worth of paper charts in the back seat of my plane) but normally the boats I'm on carry a couple of favors of chart plotters typically tied to radars if not full ECDIS bridges. Cluttering up my iPad with a bunch of charts when I can have music and cartoons is kind of senseless.

Last edited:
Nobletec?

Probably the best of the non ECDIS systems, and for those with pleasure boat needs even better than full ECDIS like TRANSAS which won't do turns at waypoints through the autopilot. Not sure that Nobletec has an iPad based system though.

Back