Foreflight "Fly Charts"

pilotod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
eyeflying
I dunno. Maybe I just don't read. I just migrated from i1000 to foreflight and wanted to add sectionals. I didn't see "sectionals" in the downloads section of foreflight but I saw "Fly Charts." What the hell are "Fly Charts?"

Adding on...went to downloads again and there was the accidental touch of the Atlanta Fly Chart. If I want to delete that "Fly Chart" of Atlanta that I paused to stop it from downloading...the only option is to "delete all downloads." Now, really...what if I wanted to keep the whatever "Fly Chart" that I have because the only option I was given was to delete all downloads.

Where's that newer pilotsofamerica member..MAK something...that hates on software? I'd like to ask him what is in the heads of people when they code.

Last edited:
I dunno. Maybe I just don't read. I just migrated from i1000 to foreflight and wanted to add sectionals. I didn't see "sectionals" in the downloads section of foreflight but I saw "Fly Charts." What the hell are "Fly Charts?"

Adding on...went to downloads again and there was the accidental touch of the Atlanta Fly Chart. If I want to delete that "Fly Chart" of Atlanta that I paused to stop it from downloading...the only option is to "delete all downloads." Now, really...what if I wanted to keep the whatever "Fly Chart" that I have because the only option I was given was to delete all downloads.

"FLY charts" are the class B VFR routes you see depicted on the reverse of many printed TACs.

Why worry about deleting?

ForeFlight just added the "Flycharts" these are the back side or reverse sided of the Class B charts.

You are looking for VFR charts when you want "sectionals".

Don't worry about deleting the downloaded chart, there is an option to not download the chart when it updates.

The sectionals and terminal charts are automatically downloaded when you select the states under the VFR Charts area in the downloads.

Fly Charts are unique to Class B TAC charts. They are the reverse side of the TACs and identify geographic and urban items such as stadiums. They also identify recommended VFR routes thru the Class B area. Aero whatever, the FAA's division of charts, identifies TAC and FLY charts for Class B. The TACs are the aviation maps you're used to seeing but larger scale.

For example, if you go to the FAA's charting website, the Denver Class B is a zip file named Denver_TAC_78. When unzipped there's two folders, DENVER and SPRINGS. Inside the DENVER folder are a number of files. The Fly chart is named "Denver FLY 78.tif". There are various formats of the TAC chart, all named "Denver TAC 78.xxx" where xxx is the format, e.g. .tif, .tfw, .htm

More than you probably wanted to know...

BTW, altho Colorado Springs and Pueblo are on the Denver TAC, only Denver has a Class B.

Fine....I would just like to see "skeuomorphic" design. I can see what's in my earthbound flight bag but I can't tell what's in my foreflight.

Oh well, thanks all. I'm downloading the "VFR" charts and hope I can find them in my foreflight flight bag. I ain't 80 years old but what the heck!

You can delete individual downloads using the standard iOS method of swiping an item, which makes a delete button appear.

Where does one select these flyway charts for download? I'm not seeing it on my iPhone.

Ah, that'll do it; documents is inop on iPhone. Time to get a mini... :)

I should have put the whole thing down last night. I think my mind is clearing up a little this morning!

One thing I noticed this morning, not to keep ranting...much....is that when in sectional mode and I have temp selected, the temps show by the airports. I can then touch the airport and get a pop up that has more about the airport. But if I have winds selected I don't get any wind data next to the airport and when I touch the airport I get a popup but it's not airport specific...it's a waypoint popup. Anyone else not getting a wind icon next to airports and then not getting an airport popup?

They are under "documents"

On iPad:

su4uquty.jpg

hy4u5y7a.jpg

I should have put the whole thing down last night. I think my mind is clearing up a little this morning!

One thing I noticed this morning, not to keep ranting...much....is that when in sectional mode and I have temp selected, the temps show by the airports. I can then touch the airport and get a pop up that has more about the airport. But if I have winds selected I don't get any wind data next to the airport and when I touch the airport I get a popup but it's not airport specific...it's a waypoint popup. Anyone else not getting a wind icon next to airports and then not getting an airport popup?

I don't know why but I've found not all airports with weather reporting indicate the wind barb when 'winds' is selected as an overlay on the chart. Perhaps it only does if it is an official METAR product. Also if winds are calm there is no barb. I think you'll find that your feature is working fine if you pan around a bit and look at other airports.

As an alternative, if you press and hold then select the little blue arrow next to the airport in the feature list you'll get the info popup window.

And when there IS a barb you do get the touch popup, like this:

dy2uty5a.jpg

And on the iPhone:

agehysap.jpg

Last edited:
Fine....I would just like to see "skeuomorphic" design. I can see what's in my earthbound flight bag but I can't tell what's in my foreflight.

Oh well, thanks all. I'm downloading the "VFR" charts and hope I can find them in my foreflight flight bag. I ain't 80 years old but what the heck!

Just to be clear, the VFR maps aren't going to be hidden anywhere in foreflight where you'd have to retrieve them. They will just seamlessly appear on the main MAPS page. In fact, I don't think there's even a way to just display a single VFR sectional on screen. (edit-I missed a post that indicated you obviously figured this out :))

Honestly it might help if you can find someone at the airport who can give you a 15-minute crash course on ForeFlight, in person. It's pretty nice software and you could be missing a lot of the nice features that make it so easy. I have learned a lot of it from seeing what other people do and going "oh, wow, I didn't know it did that"

Not to hijack the thread but... with foreflight, if I input a route in the map section it shows the line or route of flight between departure and destination. If I want to change anything durring the flight, I'm struggling to get rid of the original magenta lines. I want to clear out the original input and start anew durring the flight. I've tried restarting ipad and the original flight shows up when I restart. So my question is how do you clear a flight from the map section. I'm sure theres an easy button on this. Help??

Not to hijack the thread but... with foreflight, if I input a route in the map section it shows the line or route of flight between departure and destination. If I want to change anything durring the flight, I'm struggling to get rid of the original magenta lines. I want to clear out the original input and start anew durring the flight. I've tried restarting ipad and the original flight shows up when I restart. So my question is how do you clear a flight from the map section. I'm sure theres an easy button on this. Help??

iPad or iPhone?

iPhone if you clear the search box the magenta route line will disappear.

iPad in the map view, bring down the upper view box which should contain flight plan elements. In the edit view there's a small 'x' button in the bottom right corner of the slate which will delete the plan. Magenta route will then disappear.

4u6y6uga.jpg

qa5uze5u.jpg

bede8y2u.jpg

But for enroute changes it isn't always best to delete start anew. You know you can touch plan route changes, right, by touching and holding the magenta line and dragging it to new enroute waypoints?

byve3uja.jpg

yqu7e9ug.jpg

2e5ebane.jpg

Or touching and holding new waypoints and selecting the 'direct to' button?

Last edited:
perfect!!! I new there was an easy button. Thanks

You can also edit your route by dragging and droping the little blue "bubbles" (or "capsules," if you prefer) that identify airport or radio navigation station in your route. For example, put your finger on the blue KMSP bubble in the editing pane in this image, and you can drag it to the front of the line, or anywhere else. You can also slide it up off the screen, and it will remove that item from the route entirely (leaving the rest of the route intact), and it will re-draw the magenta line on the map accordingly.

You can also edit your route by dragging and droping the little blue "bubbles" (or "capsules," if you prefer) that identify airport or radio navigation station in your route. For example, put your finger on the blue KMSP bubble in the editing pane in this image, and you can drag it to the front of the line, or anywhere else. You can also slide it up off the screen, and it will remove that item from the route entirely (leaving the rest of the route intact), and it will re-draw the magenta line on the map accordingly.

This!

Andy, I can't imagine why you'd want to completely delete the flight plan after you're in the air - Can you describe what kind of flight plan changes you're talking about? There's probably a much better/easier way than what you're doing. :)

Kent:
I alter my course all the time. As an example: Sunday I left Big Bear as weather was coming in. I had to fly off the back of the mountain because the weather was approaching from the direction of my intended departure. I had Direct plugged into my foreflight. My direction of flight took me about 20 miles the opposite direction of my original intended flight.
At the point that I turned and headed for home (on top), I wanted a new flight plan or a direct too flight plan.
I have it now though. Someone here gave me the tip. Just to to the drop down and delete the flight plan.
Thanks
Andy

Kent:
I alter my course all the time. As an example: Sunday I left Big Bear as weather was coming in. I had to fly off the back of the mountain because the weather was approaching from the direction of my intended departure. I had Direct plugged into my foreflight. My direction of flight took me about 20 miles the opposite direction of my original intended flight.
At the point that I turned and headed for home (on top), I wanted a new flight plan or a direct too flight plan.
I have it now though. Someone here gave me the tip. Just to to the drop down and delete the flight plan.
Thanks
Andy

Andy,

In that situation, assuming you've got a flight plan from Big Bear to your home 'drome, when you're done deviating and want to head home you can easily do one of two things:

1) Tap your home airport identifier in the flight plan editing area and choose "Direct To", or

2) Tap your home airport on the sectional chart and tap the little orange "-D>" button.

No need to type anything in either case. You can also use the rubber-banding feature if you want to go around something.

Hope this makes it even easier next time!

Honestly it might help if you can find someone at the airport who can give you a 15-minute crash course on ForeFlight, in person. It's pretty nice software and you could be missing a lot of the nice features that make it so easy. I have learned a lot of it from seeing what other people do and going "oh, wow, I didn't know it did that"

They also publish this cool thing called a Users Manual. ;)

Back