Foreflight Flight Plan Info

Pa28-140

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gordon Shumway
This may be old news but if not........

When you file your IFR flight plan with Foreflight AND you have not entered your own personal DUATS information in the "settings", the flight plan is filed using Foreflight's DUATS account. The end result is that your name is shown on the flight progress strips that the controllers get all along your route. Example: PIC John Doe.

Soooooo, unless you want every controller along the route to know who you are so that they can call you by first name......enter your DUATS information in the settings.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time a controller called you by name? I am always referred to by tail number.

I am really surprised ForeFlight is allowed to submit so many flight plans using one account. It seems there would be a security implication if filing to get in/out the SFRA as well.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time a controller called you by name? I am always referred to by tail number.

Has happened to me once...I departed SZP (Santa Paula) VFR one afternoon and picked up my IFR clearance from Point Magu Approach in the air. The controller gave me my clearance, I read it back, and then she responded "Read back correct, contact SoCal on 124.6, and have a nice day Mr. Bundy."

Has happened to me once...I departed SZP (Santa Paula) VFR one afternoon and picked up my IFR clearance from Point Magu Approach in the air. The controller gave me my clearance, I read it back, and then she responded "Read back correct, contact SoCal on 124.6, and have a nice day Mr. Bundy."

I bet you did a double take on that one... :eek:

I know a early bug with the file feature was that it wouldn't forward you personal information on VFR plans. :eek: This saved me once when I forgot to call and close the flight plan. When I realized six hours later :mad2: I called and was told it had closed automatically for lack of personal information. The service guy told me it was a bug between ForeFlight and Duats.

The nearest thing to your story that I have experienced are controllers telling us to make quick turns or to land and get fuel or they will phone our dept. head. :dunno: A few guys got into trouble when ATC let our dept head know they had flown to a non department sanctioned airfield.

I learned that one night flying into White Plains when the tower controller cleared me to land, with a "welcome back, Brad". I was confused, but went along with it, and my passenger was convinced I really do fly up to NY a lot. After the act, I realized tht for that particular IFR flight, I filed using Foreflight.

That said, I have my own personal duats login info in Foreflight. I think it always does this.

EDIT: wait, no I don't! It disappeared. Must have been erased during an upgrade or something. Well that explains it.

Last edited:
Back