ForeFlight Data Driven Maps - worth $50?

RalphInCA

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RalphInCA
Right now I have FF Pro, but not Plus - which means I don't get the new "data driven maps", among other things.

Getting the data driven maps means I have to go to the Plus version, which is another $50 per year.

For those of you who have the new maps, (and I know this is a subjective thing) are they worth the money? Are they a useful tool, or just a toy?

I've given up on trying to balance the pros and cons of the various levels of Foreflight.
$200/year for all the functionality it gives is such a bargain, I just pay it and am grateful for all the help it gives me. I don't use all the features, but if I need one, it is there.

If the only reason to go to "plus" were the maps, I might decide not to, but there are other reasons too, and there will be more coming.

For the fist few years, I paid for the PRO version just so I could get geo-referenced taxi diagrams for VFR flight.

I think the new maps are worthwhile. I mainly use FF on an iPhone 6 in the cockpit, and the new maps are far less cluttered and are easier to read on the go on the smaller screen. You don't have to stand on your head to read the text if you're southbound and using "track up" mode.

I use the "sectional chart" display for pre-flight planning, though, because it has more airspace and terrain information.

I bought the vector maps thinking I'd love them. Maybe it's a primacy thing, but I always seem to use the sectional in flight.

I want sectionals. I know all the info is there and not being magically "filtered" away because some desk jockey software coder decided I didn't need to see it. Not a fan of the vector chart fad. Wasn't the last time it came around, either.

I bought the vector maps thinking I'd love them. Maybe it's a primacy thing, but I always seem to use the sectional in flight.

Primacy!

I know what that is! Learned it in Fundamentals Of Instruction (FOI).

Finally something useful has come out of that studying.

Seems like more than a fad now. Time will tell, I guess.

Yeah, it gained traction. Better marketing this time. Not sure it's smart yet. All depends a lot on the assumptions of a small batch of software coders and frankly, small batches of software coders only hit things out of the park about 1 in 10 times they try something like this.

Not a fan of someone else being in charge of what I do and don't see on a chart depending on my chosen zoom level. Lots of years of study and usage went into the charts and they're very information dense without being overwhelming.

I don't think so, there are some things it will show that you don't want to see like dead and gone airspace in some places, and other things it doesn't show that you want to see.

Been quite happy with FF Pro SV

...Not a fan of someone else being in charge of what I do and don't see on a chart depending on my chosen zoom level. Lots of years of study and usage went into the charts and they're very information dense without being overwhelming.

^ that

Back