ForeFlight crashed in flight on a thousand mile x country

Peteohms

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pete Christensen
So I'm heading out on a thousand mile trip and 200 miles into the flight ForeFlight just stopped showing my position on the screen. Of course, when I got somewhere I could email support the suggestion they offered was not available because it required me to connect my Dual150 to a Win Doze computer. You can't contact support by phone. I have an iPad 4 and the latest ForeFlight. Really worthless support. When I got home and went through all I had to do to comply with support instructions, it did not fix the problem. I'm really disappointed with their support.

Did you consider the issue might be with the Dual150, not Foreflight itself?

Ive had various apps freeze up including FF, I don't think it is a FF-specific defect; more like an occasional "Apple issue" if anything. Easily resolved by shutting it down then restarting the app. Rarely I've had to do a hard reset of the idevice, takes a few moments and you are good again. Cool that FF allows 2 devices on one purchase, I have had it on my ipad and wife's ipad and now my iphone, love the comfort of a backup.

Did you consider the issue might be with the Dual150, not Foreflight itself?

It is not the Dual. It works fine with my old iPad. Checked it out as soon as I got home.

Pete

Ive had various apps freeze up including FF, I don't think it is a FF-specific defect; more like an occasional "Apple issue" if anything. Easily resolved by shutting it down then restarting the app. Rarely I've had to do a hard reset of the idevice, takes a few moments and you are good again. Cool that FF allows 2 devices on one purchase, I have had it on my ipad and wife's ipad and now my iphone, love the comfort of a backup.

Been there done that. I've had those minor problems too. This time it is something completely different. The old tricks just don't fix this problem.

Pete

I presume you shut the unit completely off - let it rest a minute and then rebooted it. . . . the iPad.

It's not likely that you have bad FF if it works with the other iPad. . . .

There are so few true Foreflight programming glitches that I'd be really surprised if it was a programming issue and not a iPad issue . . . but if you want to just bytch I get it. I doubt seriously that your iPad and the Foreflight program waiting for you to launch on a 1000nm cross country - and it proves that you should not rely on a $500 piece of equipment not designed for aviation as your primary nav source. . . .

So it's still doing the issue? (Crashed)

So I'm heading out on a thousand mile trip and 200 miles into the flight ForeFlight just stopped showing my position on the screen. Of course, when I got somewhere I could email support the suggestion they offered was not available because it required me to connect my Dual150 to a Win Doze computer. You can't contact support by phone. I have an iPad 4 and the latest ForeFlight. Really worthless support. When I got home and went through all I had to do to comply with support instructions, it did not fix the problem. I'm really disappointed with their support.

ForeFlight has very responsive support, but it's often not great support, at least initially. I've found that it often requires me to be respectfully assertive in order to get a difficult issue escalated, and then I start to get the great support.

I believe that ForeFlight support will call you on the phone if you request that they do so.

JKG

I've had to shut down and reboot during an IFR flight. It's caused me to re-think dependence on ForeFlight as a complete replacement for paper charts.

I've had to shut down and reboot during an IFR flight. It's caused me to re-think dependence on ForeFlight as a complete replacement for paper charts.

I'd be happy if I just had to reboot to fix the problem. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to remove and reload ForeFlight, that is unless the actually answer my last support email.

Pete

That could be bad if it happened at a critical time :(. I have had a lot of computer devices, but so far none that I haven't had a problem with from time to time, even those in our cars.

It can also happen to certified avionics.

And people wonder why I carry 3 different devices with charts (iPad Mini, Samsung Android Tablet and my Android Phone) using different software and chart sources.

And I also carry paper. Old fashioned, I know :(.

I'm only carrying Sectionals(and TAC) on paper, and I'll print plates if it's likely I'm going to need to shoot an approach.

That is what I do also, except when I am going somewhere, I print out the plates for the destination "just in case."

I'd be happy if I just had to reboot to fix the problem. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to remove and reload ForeFlight, that is unless the actually answer my last support email.

Pete

Have you rebooted the iPad and tried it again?

Have you deleted and reloaded ForeFlight?

Have you rebooted the iPad and tried it again?

Have you deleted and reloaded ForeFlight?

Jose, Didn't we meet in a bar way too many times? ;-)

Yes to the first question. No to the second question. As far as reloading "ForeFright", my plane is down for some maintenance so I have time to work with "support". I'd rather find out what the problem is so inflight, NEXT time it screws up, I can resolve the problem.

Pete

Pete - I'd read through this article. You might find a tip that helps resolve the issue (or at least points you in right direction).

How to use the Dual GPS direct connection feature in ForeFlight
http://ipadpilotnews.com/2013/08/using-the-dual-gps-direct-connection-feature-in-foreflight/

Thanks Rick, I'm ahead of you. Been there and done that too. I've been through all the past tricks. I'm convinced I have a new problem. Maybe software conflict. It had been working fine on hours of flying.

Pete

So did FF really crash, i.e. totally freeze up and stop working, or you just weren't getting position?

Do you have the Dual utility loaded so you can double check to make sure the Dual and your iPad are talking to each other?

I've seen this problem before (not showing position), and with other apps besides FF (including the Dual utility). There was a Dual firmware update about a year ago. I don't recall having the problem since I updated the firmware.

Van, This is my second iPad. I know about the iPad/Dual problems. You know how "ForeFright" sees your location when you are connected to wifi. Well beside not tracking flight, it also doesn't know my wifi location.

Pete

You know how "ForeFright" sees your location when you are connected to wifi. Well beside not tracking flight, it also doesn't know my wifi location.

Ah, I see. Haven't experienced that before. Don't know what else to suggest. Good luck.

EDIT: Confirmed location services is still on, both generally and specifically for FF?

Last edited:
Fixed! Went into location services and turned each individual switch off, not the main one. Then turned the foreflight switch back on. Went to Foreflight and it was working. Put the other switches back on and still worked.

Pete

ForeFlight just released v6.0.1, which removes Direct Connect. Apparently, it was causing issues. That may help fix your problem, also.

Back