Foreflight + cellular data

RalphInCA

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RalphInCA
If I activate the cellular data plan for my iPad, will ForeFlight be able to update winds aloft and etc. while I am flying?

If I activate the cellular data plan for my iPad, will ForeFlight be able to update winds aloft and etc. while I am flying?
I got nexrad updates when flying around 3000 feet in Illinois last year. It was useful to compare what FF was depicting to the XM radar map on my MFD. If you're in range of a celltower, I should think the answer is yes. But go much higher than that and you'll lose coverage in most areas.

If you are low enough and close enough to a tower to get cellular reception, yes.
Cell phones get reception in flight sometimes.

I wouldn't count on it though.

Unless you're going to activate it anyway, I'd save the money and get a stratus.

That's eventual plan.

But for now I was wondering if using cellular data would work.

I wonder at what altitude you start losing cellular signal?

That's eventual plan.

It really varies. I've had decent data up to 7,000' in some places, then not much above 3,000' other times. It's pretty reliable up to 3, but hit or miss above that.

I get good data coverage AOB 5000 over most of OK and N TX.

I have both cellular and the stratus. Before the stratus I tried getting away with the cellular only find out it was unreliable at any altitude depending on the proximity to towers. IE : it would work at 3000 foot near one airport but not even at 1500 at another.

I hear balking at the cost of cellular and also the stratus, but after having both, I could not see operating with anything less on cross country trips.

I file IFR flight plans, check weather, altimeter setting, and winds while on the ground before flight regardless of internet connection at the FBO. Then when airborne I switch to the stratus and get the same info via ADSB (minus filing flight plan of course).

Best of both worlds, and worth every penny.....to me of course.....

I have both cellular and the stratus. Before the stratus I tried getting away with the cellular only find out it was unreliable at any altitude depending on the proximity to towers. IE : it would work at 3000 foot near one airport but not even at 1500 at another.

I hear balking at the cost of cellular and also the stratus, but after having both, I could not see operating with anything less on cross country trips.

I file IFR flight plans, check weather, altimeter setting, and winds while on the ground before flight regardless of internet connection at the FBO. Then when airborne I switch to the stratus and get the same info via ADSB (minus filing flight plan of course).

Agreed. With current family plans the cost is pretty trivial....mine adds $10/mo. and I make use of it multiple times per day with both non-aviation and aviation-related activity.

Agreed. With current family plans the cost is pretty trivial....mine adds $10/mo. and I make use of it multiple times per day with both non-aviation and aviation-related activity.

Same here.

Studying for the IFR, I would watch various ground school videos while eating lunch, many times at location without WiFi access.

I use Garmin Pilot on my iPad with a GDL-39.

It seems that most of the time that I am able to receive cell data from Verizon up until about 3,000-3,500' MSL.. Then when I lose cell data my weather data from the GDL-39 takes over (from ground stations)

I usually cannot receive ground stations (FIS-B ?) until I am over 3,000'.

So this is a good mix of data sources.

I pay $20 for Verizon 1 GB. That's with no contract and well worth it. Even as a student, it comes in handy for getting data when I'm at a stop or before heading out to fly.

I pay $20 for Verizon 1 GB. That's with no contract and well worth it. Even as a student, it comes in handy for getting data when I'm at a stop or before heading out to fly.

Add in the ability to now activate and close flight plans right from your iPad and it's even more worthwhile! I'd prefer my students use that capability than messing with radios and FSS while navigating an already busy airspace. They can activate on the ground after their runup.

Add in the ability to now activate and close flight plans right from your iPad and it's even more worthwhile! I'd prefer my students use that capability than messing with radios and FSS while navigating an already busy airspace. They can activate on the ground after their runup.

Don't forget you can also activate and close via email when using LockMart's Easy Activiate / Easy Close service (https://www.lmfsweb.afss.com/Website/modifyPilotProfile?tab=3)

I haven't had much luck with cellular data on my iPad. It doesn't usually do much more than drain my battery by constantly searching for towers. So I usually turn off cellular data on the ipad to conserve battery. But then I fly pretty high too. I suspect that in certain places it might work because we do get cellular data on our phones sometimes and my wife can occasionally fire off texts or even photos over larger cities - and we are usually at 11,000 or 12,000 ft (~8,000 to 9,000' AGL in the case I am thinking of).

I agree with others in saying that having ADS-B radar and other data in flight is a great benefit. Being able to confirm the weather ahead is/is not behaving as forecasted allows me to make decisions earlier and farther from any bad weather.

Last edited:
I use FF with AT&T's 4G and I used to get decent coverage a few thousand feet up.
Now after iOS8 update, I get sh*t. So as long as you stay with iOS7, you should be fine.

I haven't installed iOS8 either. ForeFlight was right to advise people to wait. I hear there are still big problems even after the 8.0.2 patch. Apple is screwing the pooch with iOS8.

:yes: I actually did this on my dual night XC not long ago. In the 152 I use, there's only one radio, and I'd much rather use it to stay on FF with tracon or center.

Don't forget you can also activate and close via email when using LockMart's Easy Activiate / Easy Close service (https://www.lmfsweb.afss.com/Website/modifyPilotProfile?tab=3)
Thanks! I wasn't aware of that option.

I haven't installed iOS8 either. ForeFlight was right to advise people to wait. I hear there are still big problems even after the 8.0.2 patch. Apple is screwing the pooch with iOS8.

I've got two devices on it and have had very few issues. I like the the new notifications features a lot and use them constantly, so I'm happy with the upgrade. I just make sure I get a fresh start on ForeFlight before the flight now.

I've got two devices on it and have had very few issues. I like the the new notifications features a lot and use them constantly, so I'm happy with the upgrade. I just make sure I get a fresh start on ForeFlight before the flight now.

Lucky you, most users have bad issues with iOS8. Glad you are happy with it. (no sarcasm here)
What notificatin features do you mean? I haven't noticed any. Curious about it.
Thans.

No - At least not with any sort of reliability. You might get lucky, you might not. If you want in-flight weather, just bite the bullet and get the Stratus.

It depends. It's often the opposite of what you'd expect, IE worse in densely populated areas. That's because in those densely populated areas, they use a lot more cells at much lower power so that they can re-use the frequencies closer together (imagine if you could make everyone's aircraft radio broadcast at a lower power when on 122.8 so the signal wouldn't carry more than 10-15 miles, and how much easier it'd be to hear what's going on at your airport on a nice day...)

I've found that in general, IN a very densely populated area it's hit or miss. On the outskirts it's often pretty good, sometimes as high as 8,000 feet. Out in the boonies it also can work at higher altitudes and not work at lower altitudes. When you're crossing an interstate highway, you tend to do better at lower altitudes.

But... It's scattered enough that you don't want to rely on it, and you'll get more frustration than information because the signal is changing so much as you fly that you will drop a lot of data even when you do get some - So you may get radar, but only for the half of the map that's behind you and that sort of thing.

FWIW, just because you have "bars" doesn't mean you have usable signal. In a densely populated area you'll have plenty of bars, but you may not be able to do anything - Again, frequency reuse. If your phone has line-of-sight to multiple towers using the same frequencies, the system gets confused and often doesn't work right. I have more luck getting data at altitude when I have one bar than when I have 5.

Excellent post, and mirrors my experience and practices exactly.

I haven't seen the need to activate cellular. I just connect to my cell phone hot spot, works great.

My experience is similar to most of the previous posters.
In my normal area of operations here in NC, SC, Ga, and South/Central/Eastern Va coverage is fairly consistent up to 3,000, spotty above that.
I have gotten signal as high as 9,000.
I am always sure to keep the Ipad plugged into the charger though. It does go through the battery quick searching constantly I guess.
I'm on a 2 gigabyte plan with Verizon. Never exceeded my "gigs".

As I'm already paying for an Iphone data plan, I don't want to pay for an Ipad plan that I will only beneficially use maybe 4-5 times a month and then not even that beneficially. The only thing it buys me is real time winds for ETA calcs. Big deal. If I want current WX or whatever I'll just pull it up on the Iphone.

That's eventual plan.

It will work, but not reliably, and with most things in such circumstances, when you most wish it to work will be when it won't.

As I'm already paying for an Iphone data plan, I don't want to pay for an Ipad plan that I will only beneficially use maybe 4-5 times a month and then not even that beneficially. The only thing it buys me is real time winds for ETA calcs. Big deal. If I want current WX or whatever I'll just pull it up on the Iphone.

I just use my phone as a hotspot for my iPad.

That's a good idea although unfortunately AT&T will ding me if I do that.

Switch to T-Mobile, especially useful now if you travel international because you get data roaming without paying any extra. The only thing is it's a bit slow and doesn't allow you to hotspot, but Navigation, email, and browsing on the phone works fine with no additional cost.

Switch to T-Mobile, especially useful now if you travel international because you get data roaming without paying any extra. The only thing is it's a bit slow and doesn't allow you to hotspot, but Navigation, email, and browsing on the phone works fine with no additional cost.

I'd do that in a second if it weren't a company plan.

Back