ForeFlight at Airventure - Track Logging, Weight and Balance, Pack, Sync

CodeMonkey

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
CodeMonkey
Howdy,

If you're at Airventure this week, swing by the ForeFlight booth and preview a few new features that we are launching just after AirVenture. First, we have a new track logging system - built on top of our sync system - that can background record your flight logs (from any supported device or iOS), upload them to the cloud, synchronize them between all your devices, share via social sites, and review atop maps and sectionals. It's integrated with CloudAhoy and allows export to formats for review in other apps as well, like Google Earth. You can download the data from the ForeFlight website too.

We are also previewing our new Weight and Balance system. We developed a programming language called TypeCert that allows us to quickly model W&B from the type certificate data, supporting more than 60,000 aircraft. All the W&B profiles are stored on our server and can be shared between pilots. The smart options technology is used during the aircraft setup interview, asking you questions to determine if you have certain options (as defined on the type certificate) on your airplane.

If you haven't seen Pack or Sync in action yet - two recent features - we posted two new videos on each:

Sync - http://vimeo.com/101623471
Pack - http://vimeo.com/97023180

-tyson

Cool new features. Have you thought about adding multiple altitude segments in the nav log? It would be nice to be able to plan a flight at different altitudes.

Cool new features. Have you thought about adding multiple altitude segments in the nav log? It would be nice to be able to plan a flight at different altitudes.

Will add it to the roadmap.

I would love to see Sync extended so I can do flight planning on my PC (browser even) and have it all sync to my device, and be able to share with others as well. The share option would be very useful for flight departments, where the dispatcher could do planning and sync it to the crew.

Would LOVE integragted check lists!!!!!

Big Foreflight fan here since 2011. I really like all the new features. Thank you for continuing to update the product.

I am sure you have not heard this before, but I would love to see synthetic vision. I have been looking at buying a Stratus and canceling XM, but have been holding off in case a new model of Stratus is required for synthetic vision.

If they do it, a new Status model should not be required. The Stratus 2 has AHRS.

W&B, finally!
Integrated checklists and takeoff/landing distance calculations would be awesome enhancements!

W&B, finally!
Integrated checklists and takeoff/landing distance calculations would be awesome enhancements!

+1

This was my recommendation for the folks at FF, a sort of automated PNF:

I envision integrated checklists as as easily selectable feature (easy to
turn on and off) that would be prompted on the display based on what you're
doing:
First turn on? Preflight checklist is queued up.
Start moving? Before take-off checklist prompts.
Level off from initial climb > 1500 above departure elevation? Cruise
checklist pops up.
Nearing destination? Descent and prelanding checklists accordingly
Turning off the runway? After landing checklist

If you really wanted to get fancy, you could configure the app to use the
microphone of the ipad to listen for engine noise to sequence to the before
taxi checklist.

Of course, the user could sequence through checklists manually if they
prefer.

I really like FF, the only shortcoming that I see is in flight planning. I would love to see fuel flows/TAS for climb and decent, as well as cruise.
The only paper charts I've purchased since 2011 are VFR sectionals for my student pilot son. :D

CodeMonkey- Any info on when the new updates might be coming out? I'm really looking forward to the weight&balence. It might be helpful for our fleet.

Whenever FF decides to integrate checklists, they should take a cue from the fltplan.com app and use the "text to speech" feature.

Whenever FF decides to integrate checklists, they should take a cue from the fltplan.com app and use the "text to speech" feature.

Technically they still have a separate checklist app that sucketh mightily, don't they?

Is there a way to sync the W&B profiles you've entered across other devices on your account (iPad to iPhone, etc)? It looks like I have to re-enter all the data on each one unless I'm missing something...

Back