Foreflight and Center Frequencies

NickC99

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
NickC99
I did some searching but didn't find a specific thread on it. Does anyone know where Foreflight sources the frequencies it lists in the "Frequencies" tab for airports?

Looking at KTLH, the freq listed for Center seems incorrect. IFR Low charts list Jax Center 128.625, and I remember getting that headed back to KTLH after tower/tracon closed. FF lists Jax Center 135.325, though. Other airports not far away seem to be corrected (e.g., KABY)

If I'm flying somewhere and want to pick up FF, it's easier to hit the nearest airport page and use the Center freq listed rather than hunting on an IFR low chart.

Any ideas?

Not sure where they source it from, but the data exists somewhere because if the Garmin 430 also lists app/dep and center freqs for airports.

As I understand it, the frequencies on the IFR Low charts are a frequency that a center can be reached on for that geographic area, not necessarily the frequency that the controller will want you on for your specific position.

I know that I get several center handoffs all within an area covered by one frequency posted on a chart.

I always think of the center frequencies on the IFR charts as more of a lost com scenario...will get you to someone, but not necessarily where you need to be ultimately. You are correct in that the approach and departure frequencies for the airports near by are gonna be a more accurate starting point for calling up blind.

Last edited:
I suspect, the information listed for a particular airport comes from the airport master record which is also what the COMMUNICATIONS block in the AF/D is generated from. It's distributed a variety of ways (same way Airnav and various other websites gets the information).

As Shawn states, the ARTCC freqs and dentil lines are sort of informational only. Works better than nothing if you've lost comm and need to reestablish, but no necessarily indicative of the sectoring inside the ARTCC (or approach) which may vary with altitude in may places.

For VFR FF I just find the nearest airport with an approach and look in the communications block for what they list as the IFR controlling frequency.

None of this really has squat to do with Foreflight, it's just basic FAA charting/inforomation.

Generally speaking, If you want to talk to ATC who can provide you services, the best thing you can do is look at the closest airport with an instrument approach plate, and then look at the frequency for ATC on that plate.

Right. I get that approach plates have the correct freq, and I would call the local approach control for a specific airport. But, let's assume approach is closed. So, you'd call Center. FF looks like it lists the wrong center freq for KTLH because it's not referenced anywhere else (approach plate, ifr low, AF/D, etc.). It's not even referenced on AirNav.

Then I suggest you contact them. They might have a bug in the thing that reformats the rather arcane text files that these things come in from. Do you not see the comment on what to use when the approach is closed? I don't have my iPad handy right now (I'm in Hawaii right now and flew out commercially obviously).

... They might have a bug ...
Maybe not. I have seen the same problem with Center freqs in Garmin 430/530 boxes. The freq you get seems to always be a good one in that you can talk to someone, but it may not be the freq for the controller who is currently working your sector. Sectors are combined and separated laterally and vertically as part of daily workload management, so my guess is that there can't always be just a single freq associated with a specific lat/long. Maybe one of our center controllers can comment on this theory.

Do you not see the comment on what to use when the approach is closed? I don't have my iPad handy right now (I'm in Hawaii right now and flew out commercially obviously).

There's a comment in the AF/D to use 128.625 when approach is closed. The approach plates only show local tracon.

Back