Foreflight and ADS-B Wx

wilkersk

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
KennyW
What is the difference between the weather map data available on the basic Foreflight subscription and the weather from the ADSB-B (UAT) feed from Stratus and GDL 39? They're both NEXRAD level II streaming data, right?

What is the difference between the weather map data available on the basic Foreflight subscription and the weather from the ADSB-B (UAT) feed from Stratus and GDL 39? They're both NEXRAD level II streaming data, right?

When you wrote "data available on the basic Foreflight subscription," did you mean radar images displayed by Foreflight while using an internet connection?

Stratus gives you weather while in flight,a regular FF subscription,will not give you weather while airborn.

Stratus gives you weather while in flight,a regular FF subscription,will not give you weather while airborn.
That's the answer. Without an ADS-B or XM feed, you are limited to what you can pick up with a regular Internet connection (wireless or data). Those tend not to work too well in flight.

Kenny, next time you fly, see what kind of weather overlays you pick up while en route at the altitudes yo typically fly for cross countries. Doesn't have to be in ForeFlight. Any radar app will do. Actually, any app that relies on a current data stream will do for the experiment.

Last edited:

As soon as I read post#2, this dawned on me.:mad2::mad2: Sometimes, I'm just a little slow.

Thanks for the quick answers!

I'm sure you aren't the only one to be confused for a moment about the source of data for imagery in Foreflight while airborne vs on the ground with internet.

In fact, quite often while in flight, I will click on a weather product such as a satellite image of clouds, only to have Foreflight gently remind me the product is not availsble from the Stratus. It's always a "Duh!" moment, and amazingly I do it again a month later.

Last edited:
You won't get Level II 88d data on the stream, only the composite reflectivity product (from radar)

You won't get Level II 88d data on the stream, only the composite reflectivity product (from radar)

See, this is interesting stuff here.

1. How is the WSR-88d Super-Res data used in the ADS-B wx product?

2. How will I know the difference between it and the "composite" product I see when my iPad has an internet connection?

-----Edited--------

Take it easy on me, I had to read up on NEXRAD and still know nothing about it.

Last edited:
Back