ForeFlight 8

Seems pretty cool to me. Can't wait to check it out. What part of it did you not like?

So no more scanned sectionals etc.... would you not lose any smaller details that the FAA usually include on a sectional ? Just a thought

I'm wondering if the scanned sectionals would stay and remain an option, and the new maps would be an option too...like now in the current version 7 how the options include terrain and street maps.

I'm wondering if the scanned sectionals would stay and remain an option, and the new maps would be an option too...like now in the current version 7 how the options include terrain and street maps.
I was wondering that too. I would think they would keep sectional, low, and high ifr still available. But we shall see.

I have heard you will still have the choice to use good old sectionals.

My concern is that the new feature seems to only be available in the "Plus" versions. I have the old "pro" version (georeferenced charts, hazard advisor) without Logbook as I already use myFlightBook and from what I can see I'll be forced to pay $50 extra to get this new feature. Not happy with that...

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk

I would think they would keep sectional, low, and high ifr still available
This is my thinking... While they are debuting their new map display engine, it's going to be a while before the government catches up and makes any big format change. FF could just be creating the "space" for such a future change.

I expect we will still have "the old way" as an option for a few more years.

I have heard you will still have the choice to use good old sectionals.

My concern is that the new feature seems to only be available in the "Plus" versions. I have the old "pro" version (georeferenced charts, hazard advisor) without Logbook as I already use myFlightBook and from what I can see I'll be forced to pay $50 extra to get this new feature. Not happy with that...

I agree with this 100%. My buddy is getting into flying on the civilian side and he asked what I use. I told him Foreflight and he came back with "I'm not paying $199 for that." I looked and saw the logbook isn't an option anymore. I do not have any intention to use that logbook. Oh well...

Looks good ,in the video. I appreciate most of their updates and changes so far.

Seems pretty cool to me. Can't wait to check it out. What part of it did you not like?

Just old school low and slow guy who is too used to sectionals. And it will likely take up more space in my iPad than I can spare:cool:

Maybe when my iPad dies, I will adapt with a new one.

Cheers

I think it's interesting that people lose sight of the fact that even $199 per year is an insane value for what Foreflight provides. Updated charts, of every single type, for the ENTIRE COUNTRY, for $199/yr. A quick look online shows that a paper chart subscription for all US regions, for approach plates only, runs something like $800/yr. Sure, the price has ticked up a bit, but each price increase has come with new features. Software development isn't cheap...

Don't they all offer charts etc for the entire country ... usually slightly cheaper ?

Don't they all offer charts etc for the entire country ... usually slightly cheaper ?

Sure they do, but that doesn't mean Foreflight is overpriced. Look at the interfaces, etc. IMHO, you're getting what you pay for.

I am pretty confident that the new vector / data-driven maps will just be one option among the existing choices, or perhaps replace the "world map" base option. If you want a sectional or IFR chart, I'm sure you will be able to use it just as you do now.

I'm excited for the new maps, for a few reasons:
1. Track up view without reading things at weird angles
2. Declutter of information based on zoom level, with the information that is shown being a legible size at any zoom level (rather than having to zoom in really close to see an airport name, for example)
3. The possibility of implementing a feature request I sent in a month or so ago being implemented: If they have all the data to draw a map with airway MEAs and OROCAs, then they can also change the route adviser to limit options to routes below a user- or plane-specific ceiling and to show information like "49 minutes above 12,500" or the like so you can save time planning for things like oxygen requirements

As far as the price is concerned, I don't know if I'll upgrade my plan right away but I do know that they don't make a plan expensive enough to justify going back to paper charts. I live on the border between two sectionals and between two A/FD regions. That means I need 24 A/FDs, 24 TPPs, 24 IFR en route charts, and 4 sectionals per year just for local VFR and IFR flying. That's $432 per year to fly with current charts. Just the VFR stuff is $163. Of course a lot of people get by on a sectional every couple of years and an A/FD once a decade, but that's a separate issue. Those people would still benefit from ForeFlight or a similar user interface, they just don't have the direct dollars-to-dollars comparison to make the decision easy like I do.

I think it's interesting that people lose sight of the fact that even $199 per year is an insane value for what Foreflight provides. Updated charts, of every single type, for the ENTIRE COUNTRY, for $199/yr. A quick look online shows that a paper chart subscription for all US regions, for approach plates only, runs something like $800/yr. Sure, the price has ticked up a bit, but each price increase has come with new features. Software development isn't cheap...

Please don't take my comments as me saying it isn't a great value. I have had Foreflight for years and will continue to use it for the foreseeable future. What I wish is they kept the logbook and other features separate to be purchased as needed. I'm extremely happy with the program, but they are now forcing me to buy more than I will use. That is my gripe.

Dang. You can get a 3 year subscription for WingX for $199.

I don't work for them, just a happy customer. :D

You don't have to buy the Plus features. You can still buy Basic and Pro without the Plus part. Look on the pricing page, scroll to the bottom and click on "Don't see a plan that is right for you? Build your own plan." Then all the original options appear.

Please don't take my comments as me saying it isn't a great value. I have had Foreflight for years and will continue to use it for the foreseeable future. What I wish is they kept the logbook and other features separate to be purchased as needed. I'm extremely happy with the program, but they are now forcing me to buy more than I will use. That is my gripe.

Weihs says that, while the company will still include traditional chart backgrounds for the foreseeable future, the data-driven approach to aviation information is a far more productive experience. The company has been working with the FAA on how data is updated and disseminated. He envisions a day soon where, “An airport manager could make a runway closed and 10 minutes later pilots worldwide could see it marked as closed on their iPads.”​

From Avweb's description.

You don't have to buy the Plus features. You can still buy Basic and Pro without the Plus part. Look on the pricing page, scroll to the bottom and click on "Don't see a plan that is right for you? Build your own plan." Then all the original options appear.

According to what I see on the Foreflight 8 page you need "plus" to get the new data driven map engine.

I have been a Foreflight customer since the start and I think this is a bad move on their part. If Logbook is so great give me a reason to spend the extra $50, I just want the new data driven charts on the version I already have!!

Oh, well that is disappointing. I'm a regular Pro user myself.

When I got to plan.foreflight.com all I get is my info and how to upgrade my account. I was under the impression that you could do most of what you did on the program on the web as well.

I'm hoping they keep the sectional, the video looked like the map from aopa s flight planner.

ForeFlight (or similar) is a fantastic value compared to what it replaced and on the merits of what it delivers for me, all in one place instantly.

Aside from the product itself, ForeFlight is pushing, pulling, and dragging the FAA, NOAA, etc. Into the modern digital age. The government does not change easily or quickly so having them working with the government to modernize aviation information is fantastic.

When I got to plan.foreflight.com all I get is my info and how to upgrade my account. I was under the impression that you could do most of what you did on the program on the web as well.

I'm hoping they keep the sectional, the video looked like the map from aopa s flight planner.
What you desire is coming soon.... I am guessing that once we see FF8 in the app store, the web version will also have the features promised in this morning's announcement.

Weihs says that, while the company will still include traditional chart backgrounds for the foreseeable future, the data-driven approach to aviation information is a far more productive experience. The company has been working with the FAA on how data is updated and disseminated. He envisions a day soon where, “An airport manager could make a runway closed and 10 minutes later pilots worldwide could see it marked as closed on their iPads.”​

From Avweb's description.

This is interesting. Will these vector driven maps count as having the current charts available with the FAA?

This is interesting. Will these vector driven maps count as having the current charts available with the FAA?

Remember, there's no technical requirement to carry charts at all. So the answer is "who knows" :) But the FAA would be hard-pressed to call you "careless and reckless" if you had current, vector driven data but no sectional unless the problem you had wouldn't have occurred if you had a real sectional.

$199 is pretty FN expensive compared to FREE.

I won't renew at that price. When my subscription runs out, I'll switch to fltplan go.

Foreflight's interface is better, but it's $50 better, not $200.

Compare apples to apples. Almost all of their functionality is available elsewhere for free.

$199 is pretty FN expensive compared to FREE.

I won't renew at that price. When my subscription runs out, I'll switch to fltplan go.

Foreflight's interface is better, but it's $50 better, not $200.

Compare apples to apples. Almost all of their functionality is available elsewhere for free.

In terms of airplane dollars, $50, even $200, is pretty cheap. While you can cobble together some of the functionality for free from a variety of other sources, it's well worth $150-200 to me to have it all in a nice, well made, well supported single package. I've used Fltplan go, wingx, etc., none really hold a candle to FF's overall package and functionality. That said, different strokes/different folks.

Appears to be an ongoing observation, that once we shell out many AMU's for the aircraft, we become severe C-A-B's on some of the accessory items.

In terms of airplane dollars, $50, even $200, is pretty cheap. While you can cobble together some of the functionality for free from a variety of other sources, it's well worth $150-200 to me to have it all in a nice, well made, well supported single package. I've used Fltplan go, wingx, etc., none really hold a candle to FF's overall package and functionality. That said, different strokes/different folks.

Fltplan Go has all of the functionality that matters in Foreflight. It's a bit clunkier. It sounds like you haven't looked in a long time.

It hasn't been necessary to "cobble together" anything for some time.

Well, I guess you can program search patterns on Foreflight, but honestly, how much of that have you done?

It amazes me how wedded to one particular tool some people are. There are quite a few competitive alternatives now.

Fltplan Go has all of the functionality that matters in Foreflight. It's a bit clunkier. It sounds like you haven't looked in a long time.

Well, I guess you can program search patterns on Foreflight, but honestly, how much of that have you done?

It amazes me how wedded to one particular tool some people are. There are quite a few competitive alternatives now.

Personally, I can't stand clunky apps. As you note, Fltplan Go is clunky (I haven't used it in probably 6 months). I don't mind paying a little for an app that isn't clunky. Sure, there are some competitive apps/alternatives that are "almost" as good. Given the relatively small price, I'll happily pay Foreflight for access to the "best," even if it costs me a couple bucks more than the alternatives. And for the record, I'm generally a cheap bastard (just ask my wife).

I'm totally excited about the new maps. I've been complaining since the day I started flying that scanned sectionals in the digital age was complete nonsense. When I think about all that could be done to customize and unclutter the maps that I need to read in a bouncing aircraft... Like I said, I'm excited. Not so excited about the additional cost, but considering how much I pay to keep my 430 up to date, and how much everything else in aviation costs, at least FF is giving me stuff that I can actually use, and not just overcharging me for a washer because its for a plane.

I'm hoping they keep the standard sectionals, too. They're invaluable for teaching students. I appreciate the value of the vector charts...which Garmin has offered for a couple of years...in addition to the traditional sectionals. Having both is a nice option.

Not to rain on your parade, but there is ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot on the top tier then everything else is below it. There is a reason Garmin is only working with ForeFlight and its own program.

Fltplan Go has a lot of features, and can even do a couple things the big software can't but it's like comparing Apple or Microsoft to Linux. It just isn't the same.

Don't take us down the "wedded to one particular tool" road bud. There is one person on this forum who rides fltplan go like it's the second coming.

Just old school low and slow guy who is too used to sectionals. And it will likely take up more space in my iPad than I can spare:cool:

Maybe when my iPad dies, I will adapt with a new one.

Cheers

Looks like the sectional option remains. Also, vector maps are generally FAR smaller than raster maps. They are a much more efficient form of storage. That's why you've never seen raster maps in certified GPS boxes: the vector maps were compact enough to fit in the early units where the raster maps were not. Once it was determined that was better, no one went to raster even when memory caught up.

I don't like the look of the new vector maps at all - it seems to have far less information than the real sectionals do. Time will tell but I can't see me switching to this anytime soon.

Not to rain on your parade, but there is ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot on the top tier then everything else is below it. There is a reason Garmin is only working with ForeFlight and its own program.

Fltplan Go has a lot of features, and can even do a couple things the big software can't but it's like comparing Apple or Microsoft to Linux. It just isn't the same.

Don't take us down the "wedded to one particular tool" road bud. There is one person on this forum who rides fltplan go like it's the second coming.

I use it as an alternative. If you think I'm wedded to "one particular tool," you've thoroughly missed the boat. I generally carry at least four in the aircraft, counting those unfashionable low tech solutions.

I even mentioned earlier in this thread that I had a current Foreflight subscription. It's considered conventional to know what you are criticizing before actually criticizing.

Foreflight is not manna from Heaven. It is a tool. One of many.

I hope they speed up plan.foreflight.com - that seems to have been on the back-burner for many months now. It's really not usable for flight planning. Decided to play with it some tonight and no dice.. still dicey :)

Back