ForeFlight 6.4

Is there some reason that synthetic vision hasn't come to foreflight yet? I am beginning to wonder if it isn't possible due to some patent. Seems odd that they would let other apps take the lead in this area.

This question was asked to one of the service members at a Foreflight booth during the AOPA fly-in at St. Simons last week. I don't remember the conversation well enough to quote them word for word, but they said that in order to come up with synthetic vision, they would literally have to develop their own team of synthetic vision technicians, or else spend tons of money for another team to install that kind of software to Foreflight.

Um, if he wants to he can.

Fltplan.com has an iOS and Android-compatible app called FltPlan Go! which includes moving map sectionals, high and low en route charts, geo-referenced approach charts, settable timers, rulers, aircraft checklists, AFD airport data, ADS-B and XM weather capability (including recorded briefings), scratchpads ad the ability to write on charts, weight and balance data, eLogbook, various aviation calculators... All free with very minimal advertising.

I'm a big fan of the site; less so of the app which I use for planning but never in the air. But is is available for those who like the interface and its functionality.

I'm wondering why I'm paying for FF if FltPlan Go has all of that for free. AND it's cross platform!

This question was asked to one of the service members at a Foreflight booth during the AOPA fly-in at St. Simons last week. I don't remember the conversation well enough to quote them word for word, but they said that in order to come up with synthetic vision, they would literally have to develop their own team of synthetic vision technicians, or else spend tons of money for another team to install that kind of software to Foreflight.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't find SV to be all that useful in my actual flying. I can *imagine* times when it might come in handy but those situations are few.

I switched to WingX for a while and had a Clarity SV GPS/AHRS/ADS-B puck for it. I played with SV a few times but I never really trusted the AHRS and it all just seemed gimmicky and cute to me more than a feature that I really needed. I also bought a Pebble smart watch and tried their smart watch integration. It was gimmicky and maybe a little useful but not worth it unless you already had the Pebble for other stuff (I dropped WingX but I still use the multitimer app for Pebble on every flight. The simple wrist vibe is more noticeable than flashing lights or beeps. So I use it for fuel tank times, AIC, total flight time, and even holding pattern leg times)

I like some things about WingX, but honestly it is a jumbled up mess of a UI in my opinion.

ForeFlight is probably right to focus on real needed features and overall usability and there are some other things from WingX that FF should emulate, like the automatic descent-rate feature. I really found that a nice reference. I would wait until it approached 450 to 500 ft/min and then I would query ATC if they hadn't already begun my descent. But Synthetic Vision? meh. Others may love it but I think it is a cute novelty.

Last edited:
Yes... Agreed that VNAV would be a better addition.

I like some things about WingX, but honestly it is a jumbled up mess of a UI in my opinion.

Have you SEEN the iPhone version of ForeFlight lately? The feature set completely outgrew the available screen real estate and iPhone went from "usable as a backup" to "holy crap I'd better carry two iPads" quite some time ago.

Have you SEEN the iPhone version of ForeFlight lately? The feature set completely outgrew the available screen real estate and iPhone went from "usable as a backup" to "holy crap I'd better carry two iPads" quite some time ago.

haha. I was thinking the same thing. Just messing around with my phone today, and it's so much info shoved into a relatively small screen. I guess it will get better as I play around with it over time.

haha. I was thinking the same thing. Just messing around with my phone today, and it's so much info shoved into a relatively small screen. I guess it will get better as I play around with it over time.

Not really. It's right at the edge of usable now. Any more crap in that interface and it'll be unusable without lots of practice. And since it's really meant as a backup and operates totally differently than the iPad version, you don't GET that practice even in passing, as you did back when they behaved similarly.

Training-wise it's more consistent and standardized to simply get two iPads. Even if one is old and slow. They're really completely different interfaces now. Have to train on both or you'll pretty easily screw up when you really need the backup device.

Not really. It's right at the edge of usable now. Any more crap in that interface and it'll be unusable without lots of practice. And since it's really meant as a backup and operates totally differently than the iPad version, you don't GET that practice even in passing, as you did back when they behaved similarly.

Training-wise it's more consistent and standardized to simply get two iPads. Even if one is old and slow. They're really completely different interfaces now. Have to train on both or you'll pretty easily screw up when you really need the backup device.

That's kind of how I feel going from a G1000 to a 430 :)

If you were in a situation where the backup was required, it's never a RIGHT NOW OR YOU'RE GOING TO DIE situation. If you're ahead of the airplane, everything happens so slowly that you have time to fumble through it. Mostly, it needing things like frequencies that'll getcha, but that's doable too

Nate, what are you talking about? I had no iPad for a couple of months and used my iPhone as the primary. They work very much the same, where possible. You simply can't have two devices that are such different sizes and have them work EXACTLY the same. The biggest difference is simply that the iPad version can pop up airport data with the map still up, while the iPhone version goes to the airport screen. But if you tried to have both at once on the iPhone, they'd both be useless.

Nate, what are you talking about? I had no iPad for a couple of months and used my iPhone as the primary. They work very much the same, where possible. You simply can't have two devices that are such different sizes and have them work EXACTLY the same. The biggest difference is simply that the iPad version can pop up airport data with the map still up, while the iPhone version goes to the airport screen. But if you tried to have both at once on the iPhone, they'd both be useless.

Then the iPhone is not the same. Thanks for making the point, however.

If you're not training with your iPhone regularly as a backup and turning the iPad off, you'll probably screw it up.

The iPhone interface is terrible now. Might as well drop it on anything smaller than the 6+ and make that one behave the same as iPad.

Then the iPhone is not the same. Thanks for making the point, however.

If you're not training with your iPhone regularly as a backup and turning the iPad off, you'll probably screw it up.

The iPhone interface is terrible now. Might as well drop it on anything smaller than the 6+ and make that one behave the same as iPad.

I still don't see what the problem is - There's not really that much difference between the two, IMO - On the iPhone you simply have the "menu" button to back out and get into different areas that the iPad's screen size lets you tap to. However, each view works the same when you're in it.

How would you change the iPhone's interface to make it better?

I still don't see what the problem is - There's not really that much difference between the two, IMO - On the iPhone you simply have the "menu" button to back out and get into different areas that the iPad's screen size lets you tap to. However, each view works the same when you're in it.

How would you change the iPhone's interface to make it better?

Not really my thing. Old interface that matched the iPad was fine. New interface is "busy" because it doesn't fit well or organize well on a 4" screen anymore. No big deal. Just not worth messing with anymore with small iPads around $200 now.

The IPhone FF still has many uses though. It is really handy to have it in your pocket for flight planning when you're not flying. I look at it every day. If you are familiar with the way the app now works it can serve as a backup, but you had better be familiar with it.

Not really my thing. Old interface that matched the iPad was fine. New interface is "busy" because it doesn't fit well or organize well on a 4" screen anymore. No big deal. Just not worth messing with anymore with small iPads around $200 now.

What old interface that "matched the iPad"? The iPhone interface has never matched the iPad any more than it does now... The only major change it's had was when the menu went from icons to a textual list. And if you like that better, go to Settings -> Menu -> Grid (Classic) and it's back.

What old interface that "matched the iPad"? The iPhone interface has never matched the iPad any more than it does now... The only major change it's had was when the menu went from icons to a textual list. And if you like that better, go to Settings -> Menu -> Grid (Classic) and it's back.

Well that's a hell of a lot better. I hate software that dicks with defaults without telling you.

Back