ForeFlight 6.2 hosed?

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
Just noticed the FF upgrade, but after install it won't start....long splash screen, then back to home screen. Anyone else with issues?

You may need to uninstall and do a fresh install... or backup your data and do a hard reset of your device back to factory settings and re-install from scratch.

You may need to uninstall and do a fresh install... or backup your data and do a hard reset of your device back to factory settings and re-install from scratch.

I think I'll wait for their fix!

Just heard from their tech support and they're aware of the issue and are working on a fix. Stay tuned.

have you tried clearing the saved state before you open it? Sometimes there is a glitch in the saved state -

have you tried clearing the saved state before you open it? Sometimes there is a glitch in the saved state -

They offered to have a tech call me for a workaround, but since I'm flying a Ford Ranger this weekend I took a pass. I'm sure they'll have a fix shortly. In the meantime, I'd recommend taking a pass on 6.2!

I deleted the app and reinstalled it. That fixed the issue for me.

We jumped on the issue and have an update submitted to Apple.

I did not have a problem. Hope that continues to be the case as I'm getting ready to depart on a trip to the Keys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tyson,

Will the fixed update have a new number (I had not yet installed 6.2) Was wondering if the fix will be 6.2.X to distinguish it from the bugged version.

6.2.1, yes.

FF on my Ipad 3 is fine so far after updating to 6.2 yesterday evening. Iphone 5- No-Go. Waiting for the fix before our trip. Thanks FF.

From ForeFlight this morning:

Dear Customer:

Yesterday we released ForeFlight Mobile version 6.2 which includes support for our new Sync capability. Some customers are experiencing an app close (the app shuts down immediately after launch) after updating to 6.2. Within minutes of the issue being identified, we created a fix and immediately submitted that fix to Apple. Version 6.2.1 is currently under review by Apple and we expect the update to be released today.
If you have not yet updated to 6.2, we recommend that you wait until 6.2.1 becomes available.
For those of you that have already downloaded version 6.2, are experiencing the issue, and need to access ForeFlight immediately, the workaround is to delete and reinstall the app:
1. On the iPad/iPhone home screen, tap-and-hold the ForeFlight icon until it starts to wiggle
2. Tap the X in the top-left corner to delete
3. Open up the App Store and search for "ForeFlight"
4. Tap on "ForeFlight Mobile" and redownload the app

A delete/reinstall of the app will require you to re-download your charts and data, as well as re-enter your aircraft profile, user waypoints, and favorites settings.
A follow-up communication will be sent out once version 6.2.1 is available on the App Store.
Sincerely,
-Team ForeFlight

6.2.1 is in the App Store. Direct link to download: http://www.foreflight.com/itunes/ffm

Thanks everyone for your support / patience. Reliability is of extreme importance to us, and we let one use case by us in test. Hopefully the open communication, quick turn and fast email responses makes up for any inconveniences.

-tyson

Thanks Tyson! The update completely fixed my issue. The only oddity was being prompted with the legal agreement when restarting the app. Not sure why that was necessary again, but it's good to have ForeFlight up and running again.

Now if they'd just get the winds aloft page fixed. It's been over a week since I notified them of that glitch.

Of course there was the holiday and apparently they were working on the new release also.

It's still FUBAR on my ipad.

Now if they'd just get the winds aloft page fixed. It's been over a week since I notified them of that glitch.

Of course there was the holiday and apparently they were working on the new release also.

I'm not seeing the issue on my ipad. I wonder if it's just limited to you or a very select view. :confused:

Is it the winds aloft tab on the weather page ?

I haven't seen a problem with winds aloft. Can you post a screen shot?

I haven't seen a problem with winds aloft. Can you post a screen shot?

Sorry that this will "blow out" the page but it is what it is.

As I just told Tyson in a PM...because he asked:

For a few weeks now the wind speeds don't line up with the altitudes on the winds aloft forecast page of the briefing. I'm confident this is because the format has changed. Instead of the winds being listed (as they always have been and still are on the AWC website) as:

2820+13

They are listed as

280020+13

It appears to me like the two add'l characters are f****** everything else up.

I sent all the above to you guys in an email on the 2nd...or 3rd.

attachment.php

Anyone else lose all of their saved aircraft data, flight plans, waypoints, etc with the update? I'm so disappointed right now. Some of those routes I collected a couple of years ago on flights I'll never be able to duplicate.

Anyone else lose all of their saved aircraft data, flight plans, waypoints, etc with the update? I'm so disappointed right now. Some of those routes I collected a couple of years ago on flights I'll never be able to duplicate.

Did you delete the old app before installing? If so, then I'm afraid that the data is gone.

If you didn't delete the old app, contact team@foreflight.com and they may be able to help.

I believe with this new "sync" functionality, at least you won't be able to lose them going forward!

Since I know Tyson is monitoring this thread - when are we going to get (if ever) audio terrain alerts? How about VNAV?

Has it not been done due to perceived liability?

Last edited:
Since I know Tyson is monitoring this thread - when are we going to get (if ever) audio terrain alerts? How about VNAV?

In the future? :)

We find customers don't like not knowing what's coming and also don't like being told what's coming only to find out what is coming was delayed. Aviation has a lot of this going on, so we just keep quiet and announce what's coming when it is here.

We find customers don't like not knowing what's coming and also don't like being told what's coming only to find out what is coming was delayed.

It's funny when you consider that this was in response to a request for audio terrain alerts.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the future? :)

We find customers don't like not knowing what's coming and also don't like being told what's coming only to find out what is coming was delayed. Aviation has a lot of this going on, so we just keep quiet and announce what's coming when it is here.

Totally understand. Much better to under promise and over deliver! I was just hoping you hadn't completely ruled it out... :)

Thanks. Love the product.

Totally understand. Much better to under promise and over deliver! I was just hoping you hadn't completely ruled it out... :)

Thanks. Love the product.

I think the point of frustration is that ForeFlight (like Apple) tends to make no promises at all. Folks who submit bug reports or feature requests often receive little to no feedback as to whether their input will ever impact the product, much less when that might happen. I can say that I've personally seen some progression AND regression with respect to certain bugs and features that I've submitted, and I suspect that I was neither the only person nor the first to submit the related input.

What I will say is that ForeFlight seems to do a much better job versus the competition with providing releases that are stable and contain intuitive, well-developed features. With that said, I think that terrain, obstacles, and traffic are of limited utility without audio and visual warnings, and I'm surprised that FF still hasn't implemented those warning features. Hopefully, the warning features are on the horizon for the very near future.

JKG

While all flight should be pre-planned in advance to avoid terrain, (ie night VFR), the audio alerts could (and I'm sure do) occasionally save lives.

What I will say is that ForeFlight seems to do a much better job versus the competition with providing releases that are stable and contain intuitive, well-developed features. With that said, I think that terrain, obstacles, and traffic are of limited utility without audio and visual warnings, and I'm surprised that FF still hasn't implemented those warning features. Hopefully, the warning features are on the horizon for the very near future.

Have you checked under "Settings" - I think it does have audio and visual traffic and terrain warnings along with runway crossing warnings.

check the hazard advisor

As far as I know, Hazard Advisor only provides visual cues on the map, not audio warnings, and the cues I think need to be more pronounced for close-in threats. Garmin does a good job with this feature. I'm sure that ForeFlight will improve in this area, but it would have been nice to have it there from the feature release.

JKG

Back