ForeFlight 4.8 Released

Marauder

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Marauder
Just downloaded the first ForeFlight Revision for the iPad/iPhone for this year.

Looks like a slider to get to information faster on the iPhone, background downloading and support for the Military Flight Bag, plus a couple of bug fixes.

Don't see anything different on the iPad.

Last edited:
Blurb said it can now download the updates as a background process!!!

EDIT: sure does:goofy:

Last edited:

Arrggghhh! I turned on the iPad last night at dinner and the download (35 states, VFR charts only ) took 4 hours. Then and only then did I discover there was a ForeFlight update.

Yup - No more overnight updates. (In reality, the entire US takes 2 hours or so to download even via a good cell connection, but that's longer than I go without using my iDevices when I'm awake!) :)

Yup - No more overnight updates. (In reality, the entire US takes 2 hours or so to download even via a good cell connection, but that's longer than I go without using my iDevices when I'm awake!) :)

VFR only. It's fairly rare I'm on networks that can stuff 6GB worth of data (all data, including IFR charts) into one device, let alone both, that fast.

The biggest problem was always tying up the device for all that time. If you needed to grab it to look up something you had to exit and restart... Yay... No more.

Just tried the slider interface... I'm liking that.

Arrggghhh! I turned on the iPad last night at dinner and the download (35 states, VFR charts only ) took 4 hours. Then and only then did I discover there was a ForeFlight update.

You need a better internet connection! I do the entire U.S., minus Alaska, in about 45 minutes.

Tested the background download...works great!

VFR only. It's fairly rare I'm on networks that can stuff 6GB worth of data (all data, including IFR charts) into one device, let alone both, that fast.

That is per device... But 7 GB in 2 hours is less than 10Mb/s, which is not a helluva lot in networking terms. You need to find yourself some new networks to be on. ;)

Loving the background downloads !

The iPhone slider menu seems a little busy but I think I'll end up liking it.

You need a better internet connection! I do the entire U.S., minus Alaska, in about 45 minutes.

But this is Denver - all the data has to go uphill!

I like the route advisor for airways.

It shouldn't take 4 hrs to download that. We're you not of wifi? But using 4G?
I always make sure I'm on wifi for chart updates.

4G here for the last two months and my updates are taking about 45 minutes. I download everything except AK & HI & the IFR high charts. 7 GB last month, about 5.5 this.

It's a new 4G tower and thus far I've been averaging about 15MBPS and have seen as high as 22...23...

Beats thie **** out of satellite, which was our only option for four...very long...years after moving here.

wifi but on the house network, which is a fast DSL line.

Luckily all I need is FL. Less than half a gig.

That is per device... But 7 GB in 2 hours is less than 10Mb/s, which is not a helluva lot in networking terms. You need to find yourself some new networks to be on. ;)

It's a 12 MB pipe. I've noticed in the past that Foreflight's speeds seemed to be throttled.

It has not seemed like that for a little while now. The latest update was much faster.

Back