ForeFlight 4.5

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
In the iTunes store.

And, to quote our favorite cook, Alton Brown (IFR, working on commercial, owns a twin for commuting between GA & other places)

"Let me put it this way. Even I would own an iPad for no other reason but foreflight"

For those wondering what enhancements are in it... here's the App Store screenshot.

(Chopped off the Stratus ADS-B receiver support but that one has been in the Aviation mainline press and if you're unaware of it, you're living under a rock. :) )

aeff92c1-c612-3553.jpg

Downloaded! Can't wait to try it out.

Alton?! Michael Symon all the way!

Although I was forced to watch way too many Good Eats episodes in college, his quirkiness and the added science info are quite entertaining.

I'll get it before I fly again. Thanks.

(God I can't wait till the company installs WiFi in the fleet!)

Looking forward to using it in a couple weeks. Now if only Apple would make a Kindle-sized iPad...

OMG I have been bombarding them with the favorite route thing! Finally!!!!!!!!!

So let me get this straight. (adopts Andy Rooney persona) When a "Chinese-language news site" claims something, FauxBusiness runs it as NEWS? I'm sorry, but whatever happened to journalism? Was this corroborated at all, or was it some 15 year old having wet dreams in his parent's basement (no insult intended to 15-year olds, who, in my opinion, probably do a better job fact-checking than Faux News.) <== That is an opinion, and thus not subject to fact checking! :^)

"Apple has been rumored on multiple occasions" and they've all turned out wrong!

So let me get this straight. (adopts Andy Rooney persona) When a "Chinese-language news site" claims something, FauxBusiness runs it as NEWS? I'm sorry, but whatever happened to journalism? Was this corroborated at all, or was it some 15 year old having wet dreams in his parent's basement (no insult intended to 15-year olds, who, in my opinion, probably do a better job fact-checking than Faux News.) <== That is an opinion, and thus not subject to fact checking! :^)

"Apple has been rumored on multiple occasions" and they've all turned out wrong!

Yep, it's a good thing that Fox News is not as bad as MSNBC, then we'd REALLY be in bad shape.

I apologize for responding to the Fox News comment. I try to stay away from responding to such posts, but sometimes do so in the spur of the moment.

This is a forum about flying. Can we please try to stay away from things involving our political beliefs.:confused:

I would remove my comments above, but on some forums it is against their rules to change a post after it has been quoted.

My best to everyone!;)

Apparently 4.5 will require redownloading your charts and plates. 4.5.1 will be coming out shortly and will mitigate this, you should not need to download the charts again if you wait to update.

It sounds like you'll be required to re-download all the charts and data after updating thus I'll be waiting until early May and update everything once when the next cycle comes out.

I'm sure it's not as big of an issue for those with true "high speed" but I'm on satellite and the monthly updates take from 5 to 10 hours.

It sounds like you'll be required to re-download all the charts and data after updating thus I'll be waiting until early May and update everything once when the next cycle comes out.

I'm sure it's not as big of an issue for those with true "high speed" but I'm on satellite and the monthly updates take from 5 to 10 hours.

Just got This email...

ForeFlight Mobile Bulletin

ForeFlight Mobile 4.5 landed in the App Store yesterday afternoon. If you update to this version, you will have to re-download plates, charts, and documents. To download data from iPad, tap on 'More' in the bottom-right, tap on 'Downloads', and then tap the green 'Download' button. To download data from iPhone, tap on the 'Download' icon and then tap the green 'Download' button.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but wanted to inform you so you can ensure your iPad is in top shape before your next flight.

ForeFlight Mobile 4.5.1 - which is awaiting Apple's review - will land in the App Store in the next few days and will not require data re-downloading. If you hold for 4.5.1, you will not need to re-download data. We will send a follow-up email as soon as 4.5.1 is available.

Before every flight, we recommend a proper pre-flight of your iPad and apps to ensure data required for your flight is available. Please watch our iPad Proficiency Video for more information on pre-flighting your apps and flying safely with the iPad and iPhone.

Fly safe,
Team ForeFlight

Got that e-mail overnight too while my iPad was re-downloading all the charts. Haha. Oh well!

Pro-Tip: In case of unexpected Network failure when doing a large overnight download, turn off Cellular data if you have 3G/4G service.

If your wireline Internet service has an interruption, the iPad will happily switch over to Cellular data and keep downloading and blow out your data cap. ;)

(No, didn't happen to me but I read somewhere about it happening to someone else with an App similar to Foreflight that had huge amounts of stored data.)

Turn it back on in the morning. All happy. No data overages. :)

If you google iPad mini there is a lot of recent news about it today. It would be really nice for yoke mount. The current iPad is a tight fit especially in a cessna 150/2 yoke or similar.

Love Alton Brown, though some of the recipes on his show are questionable. Some are out and out great. One of the best things I ever made I got off his show.

If you google iPad mini there is a lot of recent news about it today. It would be really nice for yoke mount. The current iPad is a tight fit especially in a cessna 150/2 yoke or similar.
All the "news" I've seen is citing this same "Chinese language news site." Repeating a rumor does not make it true! (And I'm not saying that it isn't true, just that it is a rumor!) Apple tends to be pretty good at keeping their product announcements close to their chest. In fact, the 7" iPad was "rumored" to be what they were going to release at what turned out to be the "new iPad" release earlier this year.

I certainly agree that the 10" iPad can be difficult to position in the cockpit. I really like having the large screen, though, for seeing plates. These old eyes like the extra screen real estate.

I would also throw out here that if they equipped a smaller device with the same quality of screen technology as iPad 3, it'd be great.

I can't describe how much better my iPad 3 looks compared to iPad 1. Night and day.

I had Foreflight on an IPhone for about six months before getting an IPad for Christmas. Before getting an IPad I would have been all over a kindle sized unit due to limited space for a yoke mount.

Since that time, however, I have flown a good bit with the IPad in a leather case that I set on my lap. The leather keeps it in place on my lap and it works beautifully. I wouldn't spend any money or space for a mount now because I would never use it.

I would suggest to anyone using an IPad in the cockpit, to put it in a leather or canvas case of some sort and put it on your lap first and give it a try. It has really worked out well for me.

ForeFlight Mobile 4.5.1 - which is awaiting Apple's review - will land in the App Store in the next few days and will not require data re-downloading. If you hold for 4.5.1, you will not need to re-download data. We will send a follow-up email as soon as 4.5.1 is available.
Strange. I downloaded 4.5.1 last night...

Great! I was waiting for the email on 4.5.1... Thanks, will go and download it now.

Back