Fore flight 4.4 with documents

Yup....

What would you like to know?

Is it worth it? Do you like it, how have you made use of it? I have an iPad 1, so I don't know if that limits what I can do. I paid a lot for it and am not looking to replace it.

Yes.

Yes.

Consolidated all of the FAA Publications (like the different Handbooks) into one place. I like that they will automatically be kept up to date without me having to check if a new version is out. Will shortly be putting an updated checklist there.

And documents is just one of the multitude of features that makes FF worth the subscription.

I don't think any performance issues with the iPad1 will cause a problem for documents. Just storage space if you have lots of other things packed away between electrons.

Is it worth it? Do you like it, how have you made use of it? I have an iPad 1, so I don't know if that limits what I can do. I paid a lot for it and am not looking to replace it.
I'm not sure what the relevance is to what iPad you have. ('m using an iPad 1)

The Documents feature is ok but not that much to write home about. It's nice from the standpoint of having things like the current AFD volumes but, especially since it lacks search capability, there are much better document solutions out there, such as Goodreader.

Jeanie,

Do you have a 3G + Wifi? If so, it will work fine. If not a 3g, you will have to add a gps reciever to make use of the moving map and such.

Even without the gps, I think Foreflight is worth the money. I have it on my IPhone and my IPad, the subscription provides a license for both at the same price.

The IPhone is always in my pocket and at the ready. I can check weather, see details about an airport I might want to go to, key in a route and quickly see how far it is, how much fuel I will burn and a host of other things.

In flight it gives me situational awareness and easy access to whatever airport information, frequency, etc.

Since I started flying again right about a year ago, I think it's the best $75 I've spent.

As far as the version 4.4 I just got a notice yesterday that it was available for download. I will upgrade my IPhone and IPad tonight at the airport where I have wireless access. I'm anxious to see the document addition and see how useful it is. FF continues to add really useful features and make the latest version available for no extra cost. Several really useful features have been added since I subscribed last July.

Hope this helps.

I have fore flight, have had for over a year... I was just wondering about the documents section that they've loaded.
Thanks, guys

Love foreflight. Best thing since sliced bread. But there's one thing I would like to do, and don't know if there's a way.

On paper charts, I liked to highlight in yellow the navaid freq, final app crs and the minimums, just so they would be immediately visible.
Is there any way to highlight data on plates in FF?

As it turned out I had already downloaded the latest versions on my IPad and IPhone. I could not find the document feature on the IPhone, but it seemed to add a button on the bottom row of the IPad. While I had wifi access last night I downloaded about a dozen documents including the Instrument Flying Handbook and the like.

I'm a paper book kind of guy so I'm not sure how useful these will be. That said, I gave my wife a Kindle for Christmas. Even though she reads alot and said she wasn't sure if she could move away from paper, she seems to be taking to it pretty well.

If I discover anything further as I use it, I will report back here.

One drawback I've found with the Documents feature in FF is that it isn't able to handle massive TIF files such as the FAA AeroNav Heli Charts. These open fine in GoodReader as well as LargeViewer, but crash ForeFlight. They're 30-70MB each, so pretty nasty files. Will be nice when FF incorporates their vector data into the chart viewing platform, as navigating metro areas VFR can be easier with reporting points from the heli charts.

Anyone been successful in importing documents into FF?

I saw that it lets you download the FAA pubs, but would like to be able to access my digital AFM/POH stuff. I already have them loaded on my iPad and currently use iBooks, but when I try to use the import feature in FF, it says that it can't find anything.

I've had no problem getting my docs (other than as mentioned above) into FF. I brought in a Cirrus checklist easily. I've loaded things in via Safari, emailing to myself, and via iMessage. Each time, pressing and holding on the file gives me an "Open With..." option and when I choose ForeFlight, it works. I haven't tried via iTunes from my computer, though. Is that the way you're doing it?

The one really glaring problem I have with it is the lack of a search capability. If it's there and I'm missing it, please let me know! It does have a table of contents, and the document will open up on whatever page you last had open.

Oh, and Dave, it is not available on the iPhone due to the small screen.

Anyone looking to add the LA SFRA and other Bravo Routes to their ForeFlight document library just pop over to: http://www.suburbia.com/~mbundy/latac/

Open that URL from Safari, then select "Open In" and choose "ForeFlight" and you are all set. Repeat for the other documents you want.

I wil be exploring the option of georeferencing them in the near future. Not sure how well the other kids on the playground will want to play along with that.

Squawk 1200!

Back