Ford Trimotor

abqtj

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
abqtj
Was in town this past weekend. Stopped by Sunday for a look and a ride in it. Imagine my sheer joy when they said “right seat is available if you want it”. Um, heck yes! Even though it’s more $, I’m not passing that up. Best part, they said they pilot would likely let me take the controls for a few minutes!

What a treat! Thing flies like a dream, so smooth. A lot slower than I imagined before learning more about it, cruises at 80mph, but a wonderful experience.

a87f0afe35b3c57fccda52ee1146b1af.jpg

Pilot said “get your phone set up to take pics and I’ll snap a few of you at the controls” then let me take over. Even told me to stick my elbow out the window to look like a pro.

ea6698baaf939c436433a491201b98cb.jpg

Would you like to contribute to the fund to pay for the wings on the real EAA tri-motor?

New Mexico looks a lot like Kansas.

Thats just freakin awesome!What a cool experience.

Sweet! I’ve often heard that Tri-Motors have a substantial amount of adverse yaw. Did you notice that at all?

Sweet! I’ve often heard that Tri-Motors have a substantial amount of adverse yaw. Did you notice that at all?

The pilot mentioned that it takes more rudder than I’d be used to, and it did. And we flew it with right aileron in to hold level as well.

Also, forward/aft yoke was very sensitive. You just think about moving it and the nose would move up/down. Takes some concentration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a great experience,have flown in the pax compartment,never got the right seat

Awesome, that cockpit shot is a keeper! What an airplane and experience.

My first airplane ride ever was in a Trimotor that stopped in at the local airport and sold rides. It was awesome. Have never been in one since though... pretty dang cool you had the opportunity to take the controls.

That one, N750RW, was one of the two Bushmaster 2000s, a relatively recent attempt to revive the Ford design for the backcountry market. N7501V was built in the 1960s, and N750RW was not completed until the mid-1980s.

Here's N750RW at Montgomery Field, San Diego, in 1991:

Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 8.42.22 PM.png

... And at Fullerton CA in 2002:

Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 8.43.56 PM.png

Last edited:
If you are in the chapter hosting the TriMotor you have a good shot at flying in it enroute to the next host airport. Same goes for the B-17.

New Mexico looks a lot like Kansas.

Except I never saw mountains in the back ground in Kansas.

I had a tuff time flying in Kansas. It was so flat I was starting to believe those people that know the earth is not round....:lol::lol:

My dad told me his first ride in and aircraft was in a Tri-motor. Not sure of the year I'm guessing mid 40's.

Thanks for posting. When was the last time you had so much fun? Awesome..:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back