Ford Pinto Airplane - Are You Kidding?

My other Pinto...loaded V6, adorable, slow, clunky. Found the girl who road around it as a kid. She bought it and now drives the car her mom used to take her to elementary school!

Actually, if your Capri looked like this one-

71-Capri-mk-1.jpg

then it was a 100% import from Europe. They were all made by Ford of Germany and rebadged as Mercurys in America. It had absolutely zero to do with the Pinto except being produced by the same parent company.

A friend of mine had a '74 Capri II similar to this in high school. As you might expect, it was far superior to the Pinto in the handling and performance department. In the day to day dependability department... not so much.

It had the same exact 2.0L four cylinder engine and four speed transmission that the Pinto had, as well as some other shared components. We scabbed '71-'73 Pintos for engine parts.

Holy schmolley it's been a long time....

I did emission controls work for Ford on the Pinto (and later on the Mustang II and Ranger with the same engine - and something else on the Fox platform), I can't remember the model number of the little staged two barrel carb (Holley- Webber IIRC) but I'm pretty sure I still have a really good assortment of carburetor jets / bleeds / well tubes stashed away somewhere.
Was it the holly 5200?

Actually, if your Capri looked like this one-

71-Capri-mk-1.jpg

My dad and I both had one of these when I was a teenager. My dad always bragged how his was faster. He had the V6 I had the 4.
One of my favorite part of this era German cars is the fuses. You could always tell when you burnt out a fuse by the molten medal that would hit your leg. Have to love the open fuse design.

Wow! Beautiful ride.

My other Pinto...loaded V6, adorable, slow, clunky. Found the girl who road around it as a kid. She bought it and now drives the car her mom used to take her to elementary school!

Back