Ford Motor Company buys Cirrus

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
OK, just kidding, but watching the videos of the Vision SF50 single-engine Jet, I couldn't help but notice that the vents in the SF50 are the exact same part as in my F-150. In this photo, they are rotated 180°, but they do that naturally: you can open them as shown on the right side of the panel, and spin them any direction you need them to be to direct the airflow where you want it.

Vision-SF50-Ride-Along-600x346.jpg

upload_2016-9-8_15-13-35.png

OK, just kidding, but watching the videos of the Vision SF50 single-engine Jet, I couldn't help but notice that the vents in the SF50 are the exact same part as in my F-150. In this photo, they are rotated 180°, but they do that naturally: you can open them as shown on the right side of the panel, and spin them any direction you need them to be to direct the airflow where you want it.

Vision-SF50-Ride-Along-600x346.jpg

View attachment 47695
No no no. Those are special FAA certified cirrus brand air vents. Very pricey.

The ones in your truck are non certified auto parts. Totally different.

I hope I cleared that up for you.

I can't say I'm surprised. I need to find what 1970s American car was the source for the vents in the 414 so I can buy new ones for $5.

Ted is right. There is a long history of Aircraft manufacturers using automotive parts for OEM equipment.

I'll be genuinely impressed when somebody copies the Saab butterfly cup holder !

The cupholders on the SR20/22 are something like $50 from Cirrus (people occasionally step on them) or $18 from Griot's garage. Exact same part.

For a brief second, @TangoWhiskey when I took you seriously, I was thinking...

"if they couldn't own a large chain of salvage yards (as Greenleaf) and make it profitable, what in the heck are they attempting owning an aircraft manufacturer"​

Hope it is better plastic than in my 08 F-150. I've had to replace 3 of the four vents. Two broke simply driving down the road with no one or nothing touching them. Ford plastic sucks.

Ford is revisiting its history. They've been in aviation before. I'm still looking for a SIC on the tri-motor.

Hope it is better plastic than in my 08 F-150. I've had to replace 3 of the four vents. Two broke simply driving down the road with no one or nothing touching them. Ford plastic sucks.

My 08 doesn't have a single one of them broken. You don't have to slam the damn things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago I was looking at some VariEZ variant. I saw one of the most amusing but probably pretty effective cabin air vents I'd ever seen. I looked at it for a while before I realized what I was seeing. They had taken the top of a Kraft parmesan cheese container and mounted it to the panel. Kraft doesn't make that kind of can anymore, but these had a twist top (emblazened with a raised K) that you could turn from "off" to "sift" to an open mouth for spooning.

Somewhere in my old film based Oshkosh pictures, I have a shot of it.

ebc2fe88410228143d7645de0c397f57.jpg

'70 Cherokee 140 factory parts
Trim handle - Studebaker window handle
Door handle - 60's era Volkswagon Beetle
Most recently I replaced the $60 piper rudder pads with $3.15 Harley Davidson pads - exact match.

The fuel senders in the Navion (and probably lots of other planes) are the same as were commonly used in automotive use. Would I put one in my plane...nah...

My 08 doesn't have a single one of them broken. You don't have to slam the damn things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are rarely touched. Two broke while driving down the road, at different times, when no one had touched them in days.

Same here, my old Cherokee had parts from an old Chrysler and old John Deere. If they weren't certificated airplanes, they would have cost now what they cost originally. :)

'70 Cherokee 140 factory parts
Trim handle - Studebaker window handle
Door handle - 60's era Volkswagon Beetle
Most recently I replaced the $60 piper rudder pads with $3.15 Harley Davidson pads - exact match.
But the TSO'd Studebaker handle is $475. :D:D

My Bonanza has Delco-Remy fuel level senders, and the gaskets are readily available from Danchuk (suppliers of parts for 1955-1956-195 Chevys).
The inside door handles on Bellanca Super Vikings are the Exact Same Item as used on 1961-1964 Checvrolets, Buicks, Oldsmobile, Pontiacs and some Cadillacs.

Back