Forced to upgrade avionics

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
It looks like I will be forced to upgrade my panel. Right now, the panel is as sweet as can be -- except the #1 nav is a King 90B. I've been looking at putting in a 530. Or maybe a 480/MX20. Or maybe a 480/MX200 ... you get the idea.

I try to make it a habit to get an IPC every six months, but I have been unsuccessful at finding a local instructor who knows the KLN90B. So I am stuck with financing their learning curve if I want to get an IPC. In fact, my command of it is shaky as well, so I'd like to get someone who knows it and who can show me the nuances. No joy.

Argh! I guess I will have to write a check for a new radio in order to solve this problem!!!

why does the CFII need to be proficient on the KLN90B. as long as you know how to use it you should be able to complete the IPC.

edit: ok i actually read your post and i get it now *slaps head*

or are you just secretly yearning for a 530 and have found an excuse?

Why does the CFI need to know how to use the GPS? He should be judging how well you can fly an approach not drive the box.

But if you like I can come down and show you how to use it. You just need to pay my airfare or later this month fly on over to Sarasota and take me flying.

Scott

Why does the CFI need to know how to use the GPS? He should be judging how well you can fly an approach not drive the box.
If all I wanted was a signature in my logbook, I could easily complete an IPC treating the GPS as a VFR unit and flying the VORs and ILS. Or I could rent/borrow an airplane that has a 430 in it. But the fact is that I insist on having an instructor beat up my weaknesses when I do this kind of thing.
But if you like I can come down and show you how to use it. You just need to pay my airfare or later this month fly on over to Sarasota and take me flying.
When will you be in Sarasota? We may go down to our condo on Siesta Key in the next few weeks.

If all I wanted was a signature in my logbook, I could easily complete an IPC treating the GPS as a VFR unit and flying the VORs and ILS. Or I could rent/borrow an airplane that has a 430 in it. But the fact is that I insist on having an instructor beat up my weaknesses when I do this kind of thing.
But once you have the basics down the biggest way to see if you know ho to use the GPS is to act like ATC and vector you to a different point on the approach than what you have in FPL0. The only other thing to really go wrong is the loss of RAIM.

When will you be in Sarasota? We may go down to our condo on Siesta Key in the next few weeks.
28-31 Oct.

Last edited:
It looks like I will be forced to upgrade my panel. Right now, the panel is as sweet as can be -- except the #1 nav is a King 90B. I've been looking at putting in a 530. Or maybe a 480/MX20. Or maybe a 480/MX200 ... you get the idea.

I try to make it a habit to get an IPC every six months, but I have been unsuccessful at finding a local instructor who knows the KLN90B. So I am stuck with financing their learning curve if I want to get an IPC. In fact, my command of it is shaky as well, so I'd like to get someone who knows it and who can show me the nuances. No joy.

Argh! I guess I will have to write a check for a new radio in order to solve this problem!!!

I have a KLN-89b, and also don't know any instructors who are familiar with it.

My solution was to alternate studying the manuals and then flying under the hood with a safety pilot. On my IPC the CFII gave me the same scenarios he would have given anyone else, and he knew how a TSO-129 GPS is supposed to work, so he could still be helpful.

I also frequently fly a plane with a Garmin 430. What I've learned is that under the skin both follow TSO-129 and really both work pretty much the same way. There are nomenclature and switchology differences, but really they work exactly the same way under the skin.

I far prefer the King nomenclature, just because I like it when it lights up the 'ARM' light rather than the hippie commie pinko Garmin which displays a wimpy 'TERM' for the same function.

yea i always liked making gun noises when the GPS armed for firing err the approach.

There is sweet and there is SWEET...............

You might want to consider the 480 combined with a docking station mount for a 496 -- that appears to me to be the most powerful, cost-effective solution (as long as XM radio stays in business). I'm still happy with my 530, but am waiting for the ADS-B and XM radio futures to become clearer before springing for either the GDL-69 or GDL-90.

Buy me a ticket or come visit.

Ken,
I understand your frustration with King GPSs. One of King's biggest mistakes was not providing better training materials. I have a KLN 94 and it took a long time and a ton of gas (literally) to get comfortable with the 94. A friend has a 90B in his plane and I really have a hard time with that one. He gave up IFR because he does not feel comfortable using it for approaches.

I might suggest moving to a KLN 94 because it is easier to use and the install might be less, but you will still have a TSO 129 box. Moving to a TSO 146 box plus a multi functional display is major cost. Keep in mind ADS-B equipment will soon need to be added and eloran may not be to much further down the road. I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend and how much IFR you are doing.
Walt

:goofy: Come to Peoria. I'll get you an IPC in the Seneca II. Flies just like what your are flying now- just a little more power. Rate negotiable.

:goofy: Come to Peoria. I'll get you an IPC in the Seneca II. Flies just like what your are flying now- just a little more power. Rate negotiable.

perhaps a nice article in T&T about how those guys with C90's should trade them even up for a Seneca II?? :D

Ken if i thought I could run a King GPS good enough to teach you something id also join the bandwagon and find me a 99 dollar airline ticket to FL. but alas i havent done IFR anything with a King since my IFR training days in a 152 with KLN89B and an HSI

Back