For those who spend hours upon hours fishing...

I wanna know about the one that got away.

I saw a special on TV about this. They're Asian Carp and its the boat motor that causes them to jump out of the water. An electrical field will do the same thing.

Outdoor Life had a small article on the Asian Carp a while back - they (somewhat in jest?) proposed a new sport - fish smacking. Motor up the river and swat the fish down into your boat with a paddle or board. Guess it's time to add a hockey goalie mask and catcher's mitt to the fishing gear!

I remember reading somewhere that you can drive a metal rod or large nail into the ground and tap it with another metallic object and the earthworms will crawl up to the surface for you. A good way I suppose to get the bait you won't need to fish with.

True story. Many years ago I was fishing with a couple of buddies in an area just off the tip of the jetties at the St Johns river know locally as the "Chum Hole". We were drifting baits about 15-20 feet behind the boat on the surface in a chum line we had going. Suddenly, a Kingfish skyrocketed out of the water with one of our baits in it's mouth and plopped down in the back of the boat very, very green! Scared the ever lovin crap out of us! We all tried to dive onto the fish and he was thrashing about beating the heck out of us and the boat! Finally got the fish subdued and into the fish box but not before giving my friend a nasty gash in his hand. It was quite a sight! Blood from the fish and my buddy everywhere! That King ended up weighing in at about 30 lbs.

Scene of the crime.
10mm0ec.jpg

bstratt said:
I saw a special on TV about this. They're Asian Carp and its the boat motor that causes them to jump out of the water. An electrical field will do the same thing.
For catching King Salmon we'd always trail about 7 milliamps in the water. They wouldn't jump out of the water but it would bring them to the boat.

Richard said:
For catching King Salmon we'd always trail about 7 milliamps in the water. They wouldn't jump out of the water but it would bring them to the boat.
What kind of hook rig do you hang those milliamps on? And how do you keep all 7 on the hook at the same time? :rofl:

Back