For the weather geeks

astanley

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew Stanley
I've been researching, on my own time, Super Typhoon Tip. There is something about the sheer size and power that storm packed - imagine Hurricane Andrew, only 6x larger - and it is just awe inspiring.

While digging through an old Navy/Air Force joint report on the storm, I came across the following passage:

Annual Typhoon Report said:
Considering the size and strength of Super Typhoon Tip, the Western Pacific faired well. Luckily, the maximum intensity was reached while the system was still far from any inhabited areas. The potential for mass destruction was always there, but from a strictly meteorological standpoint, Tip was also a thing of great beauty. One of the Aerial Reconnaissance Weather Officers stated, shortly after she returned from a mission, that “...the second penetration was beyond description. This is unquestionably the most awe-inspiring storm I have ever observed. In the 2+ hours that transpired between the first and second fixes, the moon had risen sufficiently to shine into the eye through an 8 nm clear area at the top of the eyewall. To eay it was spectacular is totally inadequate...’awesome’ is a little closer.

This gives me goosebumps... can you imagine what that looked like?

Cheers,

-Andrew

I would love to see the numbers on something like this.. Pressure, temps , things of that nature.

Sat pics even better!!:hairraise: :hairraise:

Darrell111 said:
I would love to see the numbers on something like this.. Pressure, temps , things of that nature.

Sat pics even better!!:hairraise: :hairraise:
Try this NOAA link. YIKES!
PS: Found it by google "Super typhoon Tip".

Back