For the hunters out there...

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
If you have Netflix I encourage you to watch "Meat Eater." It's a guy who hunts and eats what he kills complete with recipes, cooking and butchering instruction. It isn't your run of the mill "sit in a blind and wait for the deer that has been eating at the same place all year and kill it" type of series. He hunts a variety of animals including fish and unlike the other reality shows, he isn't always successful. Really a good series.

I've got less than two weeks before I head to upstate New York for the 15th year in a row to hunt deer.

My son hunts and eats what he kills, or donates to needy folks. I get some of it too. I'll tell him about the show.

For all the time I spent in Alaska, I never got a chance to hunt or fish. I was always too busy flying.

However, I was friends with some of the outfitters. They always had game meat to spare. It was nothing for me to go over and pick up a couple moose rear quarters, still in the fur, or pick up 4 or 5 king salmon.

I passed on seal meat, and bear.

When I lived in Texas I would mention to my game warden friend that I could use some deer meat. In the next few days he would bring a road kill deer or two. We would butcher it there in my front yard and split the good meat. It was always funny to come home and find a deer (dead of course) on my front porch.

My son hunts and eats what he kills, or donates to needy folks. I get some of it too. I'll tell him about the show.

Sonny boy says he gets it on an outdoor channel. Not sure if that means the "Outdoor" channel or not though.

Saw an episode or two a few years ago. Interesting chap for sure.

We are going on week two of big game season here in Montana, went out opener but still early. Already bagged my antelope. We have four more weeks of deer/elk seaso to go.

If you have Netflix I encourage you to watch "Meat Eater." It's a guy who hunts and eats what he kills complete with recipes, cooking and butchering instruction. It isn't your run of the mill "sit in a blind and wait for the deer that has been eating at the same place all year and kill it" type of series. He hunts a variety of animals including fish and unlike the other reality shows, he isn't always successful. Really a good series.

I've got less than two weeks before I head to upstate New York for the 15th year in a row to hunt deer.
When young we hunted deer in western n.y. State. Pheasant, rabbits, too. A large game dinner was then held at a local restaurant and everyone ate some of each if they wanted . Deer always reminded me of eating collie or perhaps Great Dane . Just awful. Of course after they have been run to death by hunters, what else?! I do my hunting at a good meat market and it's much better. ( after a fellow we knew got shot in the stomach we quit hunting period. )

We used to run a couple of Super Cubs down into about the mid elevation level of Hell's Canyon. We'd camp out and the night before the season started we'd go out in the field with a can of white paint.

On the biggest buck there, we'd paint a big "X" right in the kill area. Then the next morning we'd shoot that buck, load it into the cub and fly home.

This story is not too far from the truth!!

Thing with me and hunting. I never cared for the butchery or the hauling. With fish I just throw them back. Finding the animals and being out in nature, that was cool. Never really liked the guides either. Hunt with a friend, then hire a guide to handle the kill seemed to work best.

Last edited:
Growing up in South Texas, and being from a family with such roots and inclination, hunting and fishing is a way of life for me and my family. If it's cold we are hunting, if it's warm we are fishing, as a general rule.

We never take more than we can consume, but we purchase very little meat.

We actively participate with and support many conservation organizations who's objectives are aligned with the principles of sustaining and improving the health of the quarry as well as supporting the sport.

It's very much a family endeavor for us, with my wife and 3 kids participating extensively. For our kids it teaches a respect for the environment and our resources, the importance of conservation, and gets them right out in the middle of God's creation, exactly as he designed it.

We also are founding members of an organization that takes terminally ill and physically impaired children and youths out to experience the joys and thrills of both a typical hunting or fishing experience or a "Hunt of a Lifetime", at absolutely no cost to the families. My children learn the value and gift of helping others, and look forward to those hunts more than when we are direct participants.

We use our Cherokee 6 for hunting and fishing trips extensively. It's basically a pickup truck so it functions very well in that role.

Yep, I'm a redneck, and a pilot, and an aircraft owner, and a hunter, and a fisherman, and a conservationist, and a volunteer... As are all in my family and we are proud of that heritage.

Adams/ Rodman/Barnes Corners area. Cabin is in Barnes Corners but I fly into Watertown.

They're talking about expanding the airport in Watertown. If they ever decided to put in a tower, I'd volunteer to staff it in a heartbeat.

They're talking about expanding the airport in Watertown. If they ever decided to put in a tower, I'd volunteer to staff it in a heartbeat.

Probably would be a contract tower, good for after you retire from the F A and A!

For all the time I

When I lived in Texas I would mention to my game warden friend that I could use some deer meat. In the next few days he would bring a road kill deer or two. We would butcher it there in my front yard and split the good meat. It was always funny to come home and find a deer (dead of course) on my front porch.
When I was growing up we always had a neigborhood block party/cook out. There was always plenty of venison and wild pork that had supposedly been road kill. But it never failed that a few people found buck shot in their meat. I never did figure out if they were shot before or after being hit by a truck.

I have some railroad friends who are hunters. They also are notified whenever a train hits a deer and the carcass hasn't been mutilated. They have some great recipes for venison on the grill and what ever they have managed to bag. I get invited to their wild game lunches and really enjoy the food.

Some times it just too easy.
open camper window and ----pop-

Attachments

• 20160921_163802.jpg
    20160921_163802.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20160921_163820.jpg
    20160921_163820.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 13
Back