? for the Docs - 3rd Class Med Deferred - Light Sport

G

My initial 3rd class has been deferred, and I’m expecting clearance or at least an SI, but I’m “in review” for what seems like an eternity.

My flight school has LSA to train in and I’m well past ready to solo.

Because I have been denied a medical, can I solo under light sport?

My initial 3rd class has been deferred, and I’m expecting clearance or at least an SI, but I’m “in review” for what seems like an eternity.

My flight school has LSA to train in and I’m well past ready to solo.

Because I have been denied a medical, can I solo under light sport?

I think once you've applied for the medical, the can of worms is open, you can not go the other route now until the 3rd class is issued:
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/sportpilots/response3/

FYI, I am not a doc, just a googler

To clarify because I can’t figure out how to edit the above, I have NOT been denied a medical.

To clarify because I can’t figure out how to edit the above, I have NOT been denied a medical.

You haven't been denied a medical yet, but do you have a medical condition that could prevent you from safely operating an aircraft, i.e. 14 CFR 61.53?

I don’t see why it would be a problem.

FAR 61.303.b just says you must not have had a medical certificate denied, suspended, or revoked. It says nothing about a deferred application. If the FAA had wanted a deferred application to preclude exercising SP privileges under a driver’s license they would have said so.

Disclaimer - I am not a lawyer, an AME, the FAA, nor your mother. Just a pilot expressing an opinion.

then you can solo in an LSA until and unless your 3rd class medical is denied. we're you going for a PPL or SPL? SPL does not need a medical. good luck!

Last edited:
it's a technicality ... liability is your's, the instructor's and the flight school's.

Looking at 61.303(b)
(2) Have been found eligible for the issuance of at least a third-class airman medical certificate at the time of his or her most recent application (if the person has applied for a medical certificate);

I would say the OPs most recent application has not yet been found eligible for a medical .But I'm also not a lawyer, AME or the FAA

Actually, Dr. Tilton defined that any Flight physical that did not result in an issuance was a denial until it was resolved :(

Probably the next best thing to solo while you're waiting would be to do some dual, but have the CFI stay mute unless death is imminent.

Rich

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back