For the CFI's a total hypothetical

I know someone that did that with his Jetranger. Not a bad plan if you can afford it.
If I had enough money for a TBM I wouldn't worry about a CFI. I'd spend my first 50 hours flying around by myself enjoying it and then call up the insurance company and insure my airplane since I now have 50 hours of TBM time.

edit: I'd actually probably take Jesse with me so I could shoot a few approaches under the hood. I guess I technically would have a CFI with me.

My guess is, if you would buy a multi-million dollar airplane with lotto winnings, you will be like the majority of lotto winners and be broke in a few years. The operation of these classes of airplanes require very large income streams and your mindset is now "I'll never have to work again." Operation would be with a dwindling asset. Free CFI services would not be a problem.

They put 20-year olds with 150 hours behind the wheel of 2,000hp fire-breathing war machines back in the day.

Sink or swim, if you familiarize yourself with the craft, it's systems, and are a decent pilot at the end of the day it's still just an airplane. Also lack of training in a specific type does not make someone a marginal pilot, it makes them inexperienced in that specific type.
Ya right. You're one of those guys who obviously has way more posts than flying hours. Have you ever flown a turbine-powered anything out in the real world?

As far as putting 20 year olds with 150 hours in 2000 hp war machines, they also had accident and fatality rates that would knock you to your knees during peace time. http://www.taphilo.com/history/WWII/Loss-Figures-Aircraft-USA-Training.shtml

Excuse me for being blunt, but you are obviously a fool because only a fool would give someone that advice and only a bigger fool would take it.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, a tbm is really the starting point where insurance companies are going to require simcom or the like. So expect to spend plenty of time in a sim, then a with a CFI in the airplane, before you're allowed to go out with people (this is for insurance, of course)

If I had enough money for a TBM I wouldn't worry about a CFI. I'd spend my first 50 hours flying around by myself enjoying it and then call up the insurance company and insure my airplane since I now have 50 hours of TBM time.

edit: I'd actually probably take Jesse with me so I could shoot a few approaches under the hood. I guess I technically would have a CFI with me.

Ya right. You're one of those guys who obviously has way more posts than flying hours. Have you ever flown a turbine-powered anything out in the real world?

As far as putting 20 year olds with 150 hours in 2000 hp war machines, they also had accident and fatality rates that would knock you to your knees during peace time. http://www.taphilo.com/history/WWII/Loss-Figures-Aircraft-USA-Training.shtml

Excuse me for being blunt, but you are obviously a fool because only a fool would give someone that advice and only a bigger fool would take it.

I've got 1,000 hours. No turbine time. Not too bad considering I am 19 years old.

I don't see what the big deal is about turbine planes. It's a mode of powering an airplane, and it ain't no rocket motor. I've got 200 hours in "slippery" airplanes. When I bought my Mooney I didn't need a checkout. I got one though - went up and did a couple stalls and one landing, and then we parked it. He said I was wasting my money because I didn't need a checkout.

Why would a TBM be any different?

The hardest part about flying to me is starting engines. Once I get 'er going though I'm in good shape.

I thought I was going to have to start the Debbie for ya :lol:

No one can start that darn airplane when it's hot. It's a nice bird though once it's running. I preferred it heavily over the Six, but I don't fly for them anymore. Not sure if you saw my fb post or not but I'm headed north next week.

No one can start that darn airplane when it's hot. It's a nice bird though once it's running. I preferred it heavily over the Six, but I don't fly for them anymore. Not sure if you saw my fb post or not but I'm headed north next week.

You got a flying gig in AK? :yes: Sweet mother of fun, you lucky bastid. Have fun.

HondaJet, really ? Interesting choice since they haven't even been certificated. If it was going to be a turbofan For me a Phenom 300 or a CJ4 For single pilot ops. But I totally agree with the King Air, brought to you by Textron.

I like efficient airplanes - I've spent most of my last few hundred hours in a Diamond Star and a Mooney Ovation, both of which are well above 10nmpg. So, I kinda like the idea of the HondaJet - A weird design, to be sure, but it's all about efficiency, at least as much as you can get with a jet. Phenom 100 and 300 are nice birds too, they'd probably be 2nd on my list if the HondaJet isn't certified before I win the lottery. ;)

I've got 1,000 hours. No turbine time. Not too bad considering I am 19 years old.

I don't see what the big deal is about turbine planes. It's a mode of powering an airplane, and it ain't no rocket motor. I've got 200 hours in "slippery" airplanes. When I bought my Mooney I didn't need a checkout. I got one though - went up and did a couple stalls and one landing, and then we parked it. He said I was wasting my money because I didn't need a checkout.

Why would a TBM be any different?

Most Turbine powerplants are easier to manage than some of the higher powered pistons out there anyway. A bigger thing that would require some training is being able to manage the systems/think ahead of the faster, more capable airplane. I have a few hours of PA-46 time (all with another, more experienced pilot in the right seat to monitor me/offer guidance when needed) and while I could get the thing from point a to point b without killing myself, some dual would be required to get me to the standards of proficiency/safety by which I hold myself. Flying wise, it's just another airplane. Systems wise, it has way more to offer than anything else I've ever flown in my career (pressurization, radar, ice protection etc) and I'd be short changing myself if I didn't spend alot of time learning how to manage those systems. As a professional pilot, it's my duty to know all I can (within reason and importance) about every single airplane I fly on a regular basis. Plus, as an instructor, it's nice/fun to occasionally be on the receiving end of the instruction being given. It keeps one humble if anything else.

So, i like to fantasize about spending my lotto winnings. This is my fantasy, so all you poo pooers stfu. :) If i hit the powerball, i'd buy a TBM 850 to haul the family around in.. Would you CFIs fly right seat for 25 hrs dual (if it was an insurance req), for free in exchange for the turbine time?

uh...no, I don't fly for free...:no:

Then again I've got over 5,000 hours in turbine equipment alone.

I would like just to just ride for an hour, though :yes:

Most Turbine powerplants are easier to manage than some of the higher powered pistons out there anyway. A bigger thing that would require some training is being able to manage the systems/think ahead of the faster, more capable airplane. I have a few hours of PA-46 time (all with another, more experienced pilot in the right seat to monitor me/offer guidance when needed) and while I could get the thing from point a to point b without killing myself, some dual would be required to get me to the standards of proficiency/safety by which I hold myself. Flying wise, it's just another airplane. Systems wise, it has way more to offer than anything else I've ever flown in my career (pressurization, radar, ice protection etc) and I'd be short changing myself if I didn't spend alot of time learning how to manage those systems. As a professional pilot, it's my duty to know all I can (within reason and importance) about every single airplane I fly on a regular basis. Plus, as an instructor, it's nice/fun to occasionally be on the receiving end of the instruction being given. It keeps one humble if anything else.

chances are if I had a TBM I wouldn't really fly it in any conditions that are too hefty. If I'm not getting paid, I'm flying for fun. It would be nice to have a 300knt airplane that can cruise at 17,5 all day, but to me battling wx isn't really that enjoyable.

chances are if I had a TBM I wouldn't really fly it in any conditions that are too hefty. If I'm not getting paid, I'm flying for fun. It would be nice to have a 300knt airplane that can cruise at 17,5 all day, but to me battling wx isn't really that enjoyable.

You'll be burning an awful lot of Jet A at 17.5 in a TBM. I would say a Malibu (though 200 ktas instead of 300) suites your fantasy a little more :wink2:

You'll be burning an awful lot of Jet A at 17.5 in a TBM. I would say a Malibu (though 200 ktas instead of 300) suites your fantasy a little more :wink2:

My next airplane will be a Sonex or RV. I want something I can do some gentlemans aerobatics in......I know that's probably a slippery slope to a Pitts though.

I want something where I can go PHX to KRAP with no fuel stops, direct over the rockies in 3-4 hours. And you never know when you're going to need to haul a piano.

I want something where I can go PHX to KRAP with no fuel stops, direct over the rockies in 3-4 hours. And you never know when you're going to need to haul a piano.

Kents Mooney would do that....I could do it with no stops in my plane but it would be 4.4 hours with no wind. No piano carrying ability though.

My next airplane will be a Sonex or RV. I want something I can do some gentlemans aerobatics in......I know that's probably a slippery slope to a Pitts though.

I've flown an RV-7 and had the most fun with my pants still intact ever. Dooooo eeettt.

Back